TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
She's been opposed to an all out war through the whole series though, and that is what the new Secretary-General was proposing to start. This also wasn't the Belt of old, they are armed with Martian warships and stealth technology, so they are lunging into a war without a full understanding of the strategic situation while they are weakened, and may actually lose it. They know some part of the Martian government or military has been helping the Belt, so what happens if Mars throws in with the Belt when a war starts? I don't think anyone is pretending that Avasarala is a nice or altruistic person, but she's always been opposed to rushing into conflicts and has always preferred the long game.

She was also left in the dark about what was going on early in the series as Errinwright was running an operation behind her back. There was an assassination attempt against her, I think she has exhibited considerable restraint. As you said, she has always sided with peace over anything else. I think some people need a rewatch, that's not to say she's not a bitch at times and I do enjoy that.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
She was also left in the dark about what was going on early in the series as Errinwright was running an operation behind her back. There was an assassination attempt against her, I think she has exhibited considerable restraint. As you said, she has always sided with peace over anything else. I think some people need a rewatch, that's not to say she's not a bitch at times and I do enjoy that.
Most of the operations she has run have been black ops, off the books with Holden or Bobby, or political maneuvering. She's done everything she can to prevent shooting wars. She knows war is bad for Earth, and she doesn't have a problem with force projection when it benefits Earth or herself, but not reckless moves.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you want realism, you need to include idealism too. Lots of idealism in the real world.

Idealism in the real world usually has a price. Taking a morally righteous stand or doing the right thing and having it not cost anything or come back to inconvenience you isn't very realistic or interesting writing, IMO.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Well....

If those weren't a set of clearly reshot scenes I don't know what is.

Suck's to see Alex the character go, but I think the show will be better leaving the Cas Anvar saga behind it.

Also,

YES, DUARTE name drop, FINALLY!

And not only that, but Laconia and the orbital platforms, and what looks like a half completed Magnetar, maybe the Tempest? I imagine it will take many many many years for them to get the set completed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The scene with

Naomi floating around in a desperate attempt to be saved and keep Alex away from the ship

is in my book the best scene in the show and one that will stick out to me any time I think of great scenes in all of Sci fi.

Great episode. Didn't quite go the way I thought it would but I'm actually glad it didn't. Sets up for what should be a phenomenal final season.

Can't believe it took what happened in this episode for me to find out about Cas Anvar though. Yikes.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Can't believe it took what happened in this episode for me to find out about Cas Anvar though. Yikes.

The scene with his death was a bit choppy and I guess I know why now that he was basically written off the show in post-production? I wasn't even sure if and how we died at 1st until I went back. The scene with Naomi being rescued from her perspective was really well done.

The space battles were pretty epic. When Camina pulled her gun believe I yelled out a f*** yeah! It's been a while since I"ve been rooting for any character as much as her. The entire episode is easily my favorite from beginning to end.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The Donnagers have no luck in this series.

If the Barkeith had been a Donnager, as is in the books, it would have been the fourth that was lost or scrapped.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The Donnagers have no luck in this series.

If the Barkeith had been a Donnager, as is in the books, it would have been the fourth that was lost or scrapped.
I don't understand what happened with the Barkeith. Seemed to me like it was destroyed going through the ring but a review I read thought that was just the normal process of going through it. In that case, why didn't Marcos ship or others have that happen?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't understand what happened with the Barkeith. Seemed to me like it was destroyed going through the ring but a review I read thought that was just the normal process of going through it. In that case, why didn't Marcos ship or others have that happen?

Lol that review is wrong.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was a little disappointed by the episode. I had a feeling that there wouldn't be a conclusion and that the storyline would carry over into Season 6, but I still expected a bit more from a season finale. It felt more like a regular episode, except for five minutes at the end that ramped up to a cliffhanger. Also...
The death of Alex was so underwhelming. As others have mentioned, it was obvious that the show scrambled to include it because of the actor's troubles. I was even expecting it for that reason, but the actual execution left a lot to be desired. We simply saw him motionless and a character explained in a later scene that he had a stroke? That's how you kill off a main character from the last 5 seasons? I was expecting something a little more heroic, like sacrificing himself to save Naomi by dying in the explosion of the rigged ship or something. Either way, his death was not nearly as impactful as it could've and should've been, especially since the episode lacked much resolution.
Anyways, it was a good episode--don't get me wrong--but I didn't find it as satisfying as I hoped that the season finale would be.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I was a little disappointed by the episode. I had a feeling that there wouldn't be a conclusion and that the storyline would carry over into Season 6, but I still expected a bit more from a season finale. It felt more like a regular episode, except for five minutes at the end that ramped up to a cliffhanger. Also...
The death of Alex was so underwhelming. As others have mentioned, it was obvious that the show scrambled to include it because of the actor's troubles. I was even expecting it for that reason, but the actual execution left a lot to be desired. We simply saw him motionless and a character explained in a later scene that he had a stroke? That's how you kill off a main character from the last 5 seasons? I was expecting something a little more heroic, like sacrificing himself to save Naomi by dying in the explosion of the rigged ship or something. Either way, his death was not nearly as impactful as it could've and should've been, especially since the episode lacked much resolution.
Anyways, it was a good episode--don't get me wrong--but I didn't find it as satisfying as I hoped that the season finale would be.

I mean technically he did sacrifice himself to save Naomi, right? I get it, I didn't even know he was dead and had to go back and watch the scene. I thought he was transfixed on some incoming missiles and didn't see the blood.l I guess they didn't have many options but I kind of like how it was not dramatic and occurred due to the stress on him for performing all the maneuvers. They always talk about it but rarely anyone dies from the excessive G forces on the body. It made it more realistic than some dramatic choice to die saving someone.

The problem with closing this story out is you only have one season left. They need a villain without having to create a completely new one. My one complaint is what the hell is Mars doing during all this. Not the group that defected or whatever but the leadership that is still in charge.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I read it was destroyed and the colors that were being used were similar to the other entity/lifeform they found in Season 4.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I was expecting Alex to die off screen in between the seasons, so I was kind of surprised they killed him in the episode. It was a bit anti-climactic, but people die in more mundane ways in real life so I didn't mind it.

I thought the battle scene and when Drummer switched sides was really good. The Amos scene where he was talking with Holden about getting Peaches on the ship was hilarious.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Yeah, that review was wrong.

Without getting into book spoiler territory.

At the very end of season 3, when Holden is going through the ring back to Sol, he see's/experiences something as they cross the threshold.

In season 4, Elvi, Miller and Holden encounter the 'bullet', an object placed by the race that killed the builders.

Between seasons 4 and 5, Elvi reproduced what she believes she experienced when she crossed through the 'bullet'. Fred and Holden can be seen viewing this reproduction early on in season 5.

The same experience that Elvi experienced happened to the Barkeith and it's crew as they crossed the threshold of the Laconia ring, except this time they got autoclaved.

I will leave it at that. I really, really don't wanna spoil anything for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad