Jan 8, 2019
Probably a cover for this guy...
51b8ec05099fe.image.jpg
That man’s got some perky breasts.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
The league already said otherwise.

This is a crime in almost every country. Try doing what Griner did in Indonesia and see what happens.

Lol, Russians on the right side of Putin go in and out of the country with enough drugs to kill a blue whale and nothing ever happens to them.

Kaprizov is guilty of the same thing Fedotov got detained and punished for, as are a bunch of other Russians. It literally comes down to

1. Does person X want to mess with you

2. How connected is person X in Russia vs how connected are you

3. Will the benefit from bottling you outweigh the outroar (as of 2022 the answer is yes)

There were some comical days after Russia lost Kherson where their news anchors wouldn't quote their military of defense statements verbatim because under a strict interpretation of the law saying them out loud could be punished by up to 15 years in prison

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Can we all just take a step back for a second, lower the tension at the hawks for pulling out and realize the obvious?

I said this in another thread but imagine if Seth Jones, the alleged “closet MAGA republican” from Columbus’ locker room, came out and said f*** those jerseys I’m not wearing them. The same guy who a couple years ago was retweeting Matt Walsh/Trump jr on COVID lockdown policy, or liking Candace Owens tweeting trans people don’t exist and it’s a mental illness… Regardless of the position you personally have toward that statement then or now — for him, those associations/leanings may have become even more pronounced or rooted now. So then, with SJ deciding to stand up and not wear the pride flag disagreeing with even what the letter T (+) stands for, a controversy gets started without him expanding on the topic. If kids on the south side who might look up to him and would have an interest in playing hockey, or the mother/father themselves saw such a controversy play out with SJ, and the child either embraced the ideas SJ had or the parent would perceive negatively of hockey and decide not to play because of the backlash specifically toward one of the only POC in the league... The butterfly effect of those kids not benefiting from a sport that is overall a net positive on bringing a community together would be something to consider.

One thing you could not criticize the Blackhawks for as far as caring about their fellow human being they do A f***ING LOT with initiatives to bring the sport to the African american community here, investing to grow the game and obviously fan base. This would hurt their bottom dollar in the long run, but it’s important to note the perspective they are protecting their players from the media here(by throwing 2 and a half Russians under the bus).

Probably some other arguments that could be presented but I am sick as a dog with the flu from St. Paddies and doing my best here to even close this sentence so I apologize.

Are they making hockey more affordable? Are they charging less for ice time? Allowing poor people to play for free? No. They're not. This post is a load of shit. The main reason you don't see more minorities playing hockey is quite simple. Cost. The Blackhawks aren't helping that problem at all. In fact, they charge some of the highest ice fees in the Chicago area.... They provide a lot of lip service to the black community and have a couple "hockey for everyone" days. But they are doing NOTHING to bring the sport to most African American communities, because they simply can't afford it. If anything, they are doing more damage by getting kids interested and loving a sport their parents can never afford to pay for.

Don't buy the bullshit.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
But they are doing NOTHING to bring the sport to most African American communities, because they simply can't afford it. If anything, they are doing more damage by getting kids interested and loving a sport their parents can never afford to pay for.
There are many ways to play the great game of hockey that are not cost prohibitive. One doesn't need to play AA and up to be a hockey player.

They can play street hockey, floor hockey, roller hockey...or house league (which I agree is not cheap anymore) IMO it is better to play any combination of the aforementioned hockey than to not play hockey.

If the AA community can have basketball leagues in a gym, they can have floor hockey with a felt puck nearly as easily. Should I have not played basketball because I was NEVER going to be 6' 5"?

People need to look for solutions rather than constructing obstacles.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There are many ways to play the great game of hockey that are not cost prohibitive. One doesn't need to play AA and up to be a hockey player.

They can play street hockey, floor hockey, roller hockey...or house league (which I agree is not cheap anymore) IMO it is better to play any combination of the aforementioned hockey than to not play hockey.

If the AA community can have basketball leagues in a gym, they can have floor hockey with a felt puck nearly as easily. Should I have not played basketball because I was NEVER going to be 6' 5"?

Ice hockey. Explain how they can play ICE HOCKEY. Lol.

And house league costs as much now as travel hockey did when I was playing growing up. You're talking 2-3 thousand for the season, not including equipment, clinics, and tournaments... Then there's gas, tolls, meals, etc. etc.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
The whole point isn't to be "treated special." It's to be treated equally. And we're not there. Thus the need for a pride night.
Good people don't need to be told to treat other equally, they do it because it the right thing to do. Ignorant folks are never going to treat everybody the same. So what's the point?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Floor hockey is fun in gym class but provides no avenue for someone to get involved in ice hockey if they don’t have the financial means. It’s completely inaccessible compared to basketball.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good people don't need to be told to treat other equally, they do it because it the right thing to do. Ignorant folks are never going to treat everybody the same. So what's the point?
What's the point? What's the point?? If this was the prevailing attitude, women would never be allowed to vote. African Americans would still be slaves. But some people suck, so what's the point....

To be a better society.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
It's not like the Blackhawks don't have a bronze statue of a complete piece of human shit in from of their arena or anything....

Mikita wasn't exactly a barrel of joy either... I worked for an establishment that he frequented with his family about 15 years ago. I can't say whether or not the dementia had already started eating away at him but he was never pleasant. His daughter was a saint though, absolutely wonderful person.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Floor hockey is fun in gym class but provides no avenue for someone to get involved in ice hockey if they don’t have the financial means. It’s completely inaccessible compared to basketball.
Do not dismiss floor hockey or ball hockey if you haven't played in very competitive leagues. It ain't ice hockey but it beats playing in many beer leagues.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Do not dismiss floor hockey or ball hockey if you haven't played in very competitive leagues. It ain't ice hockey but it beats playing in many beer leagues.

The discussion was in regards to getting into ICE hockey...

Yes, anyone can play floor/ball hockey... but... it's not ICE hockey.

That's like saying that you have a yacht, when your boat is a 14 foot john boat with a 5hp motor on it.

Last edited:

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
The discussion was in regards to getting into ICE hockey...

Yes, anyone can play floor/ball hockey... but... it's not ICE hockey.

That's like saying that you have a yacht, when your boat is a 14 foot john boat with a 5hp motor on it.
Is ICE supposed to be a litmus test of some kind? Their imitative programs are to grow the fan base, period. How many fans fill the UC that have never laced 'em up? Tons.

I really couldn't care less where the next generation of players come from.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Is ICE supposed to be a litmus test of some kind? Their imitative programs are to grow the fan base, period. How many fans fill the UC that have never laced 'em up? Tons.

I really couldn't care less where the next generation of players come from.

:laugh:

Floor hockey players are not the next generation of NHL players. You never cease to amaze me.

The discussion was the affordability of ICE hockey for anyone outside the upper middle-class and above...

Show me a floor or roller hockey player, that never stepped foot on ice, that goes on to become an NHL player...

I mean... this might be some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen posted on this board. :facepalm:

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Are they making hockey more affordable? Are they charging less for ice time? Allowing poor people to play for free? No. They're not.

When I was around before leaving for grad school prepandemic I saw a lot of initiatives like learn to skate being held for black communities. I am all for justifiably shitting on the hawks if it’s just posturing but am unaware of your understanding that it's changed. Honestly no need for the vitriol between us either, don’t feel obligated to respond if it’s not constructive

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
When I was around before leaving for grad school prepandemic I saw a lot of initiatives like learn to skate being held for black communities. I am all for justifiably shitting on the hawks if it’s just posturing but am unaware of your understanding that it's changed. Honestly no need for the vitriol between us either, don’t feel obligated to respond if it’s not constructive

No vitriol. I just think you are mistaken about how much the Hawks are actually doing on this front. They're not doing any more than any other club in the Chicago area is doing. Which is really just having a couple free skates a year, for anyone to come out and try hockey, or learn to skate. Most clubs hold these, and even provide equipment for people to use.

Once again, this does nothing to make hockey more accessible. With the billions the Wirtz family is worth, and all the money the Hawks have made, what would be fantastic is them making the game more affordable in the Chicago area. Then again, I'd wager most people at the top of the league, and at the top of most NHL teams, love the exclusivity the cost of hockey comes with.

Honestly, Morgan Park has done more on this front in the few years they've been open, than the Blackhawks have done in the last two decades.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
No vitriol. I just think you are mistaken about how much the Hawks are actually doing on this front. They're not doing any more than any other club in the Chicago area is doing. Which is really just having a couple free skates a year, for anyone to come out and try hockey, or learn to skate. Most clubs hold these, and even provide equipment for people to use.

Once again, this does nothing to make hockey more accessible. With the billions the Wirtz family is worth, and all the money the Hawks have made, what would be fantastic is them making the game more affordable in the Chicago area. Then again, I'd wager most people at the top of the league, and at the top of most NHL teams, love the exclusivity the cost of hockey comes with.

Honestly, Morgan Park has done more on this front in the few years they've been open, than the Blackhawks have done in the last two decades.
One (MP) needs players to remain viable, the other (Hawks) needs fans to remain viable. Hence the difference in emphasis.

I know many people that could afford to have their kid play ICE hockey but don't go for it because of the cost and commitment.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The Stars had a program when I lived in Dallas at all the time and it gave kids at 11 different arenas gear and instruction. All new CCM gear, sticks and bags and everything, plus 18 hours of ice time for 199.99. Thats "cheap" but still a lot compared to soccer.

Reactions: hawksrule

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
The Stars had a program when I lived in Dallas at all the time and it gave kids at 11 different arenas gear and instruction. All new CCM gear, sticks and bags and everything, plus 18 hours of ice time for 199.99. Thats "cheap" but still a lot compared to soccer.
They still do it. The reason it developed was to build a hockey community where the was none when North Stars moved to Dallas.

Not a rich hockey culture like Chicago.

Hockey has always been a niche sport (USA) and the expense is another reason why it will remain a niche sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad