Confirmed with Link: The entire league lacks pride; also are cowards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You missed the point. No problem.
The team supplies the uniforms for practice, pregame and games.
I’m split on this though.
We don’t KNOW if Russian players fear retribution against family back home or if they go back in the offseason.
We don’t KNOW if it’s just upper mgmt being as dumb as they are becoming known to be.

In the end I’m just gonna see if the facts come out before picking a side.
The coach and other players made it certainly seem those Russian guys were not asked about this at all. Media guys insiders say that, zawaski at least. Also, the statements of the Hawks themselves just go to "security team" and made zero indications it was consulting with the players.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I wish this organization could just be normal for once and act with a bit of dignity. So tired of all the off ice problems of their own creation.
As if the rest of the NHL fanbase didn't already resent the Hawks for their on-ice success, they're doing enough off the ice to be the most unlikable organization in the NHL.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
You can end up on the Blackhawks without signing a contract with them. A court would determine that situation.
One doesn't have to report to said team. Sure, you're out of hockey at that point so one better make sure they are THAT offended..

People who are principled and disagree with something enough, make those choices regularly. Not everyone goes along to get along.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
One doesn't have to report to said team. Sure, you're out of hockey at that point so one better make sure they are THAT offended..

People who are principled and disagree with something enough, make those choices regularly. Not everyone goes along to get along.
Not many guys with high school diplomas earning in the 1% range are making that choice. It's a goofy hypothetical.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
As if the rest of the NHL fanbase didn't already resent the Hawks for their on-ice success, they're doing enough off the ice to be the most unlikable organization in the NHL.
That was our claim half a decade + ago. I loved enthusiastically pushing this (and the responding 'outrage' was just wonderful).

But, yeah, no...the "NHL fanbase" doesn't currently 'resent the Hawks'. Good grief.

If the Hawks (or players) don't like wearing LGBT+ shirts or whatever - then the team can manage that whoever they want.

But claiming they're taking a stand to protect Russian players from current laws in Russia is a joke (and an offensive precedent).

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That was our claim half a decade + ago. I loved enthusiastically pushing this (and the responding 'outrage' was just wonderful).

But, yeah, no...the "NHL fanbase" doesn't currently 'resent the Hawks'. Good grief.

If the Hawks (or players) don't like wearing LGBT+ shirts or whatever - then the team can manage that whoever they want.

But claiming they're taking a stand to protect Russian players from current laws in Russia is a joke (and an offensive precedent).
You will find numerous comments here and across the nhl wide fanbase saying they don't want the Hawks to get Bedard because they just had their recent run of 3 cups and Kane/Toews stars.

That's resenting the Hawks foe their success to a tee as that poster was referring too. And it does carry over into their reactions to other things.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You will find numerous comments here and across the nhl wide fanbase saying they don't want the Hawks to get Bedard because they just had their recent run of 3 cups and Kane/Toews stars.

That's resenting the Hawks foe their success to a tee as that poster was referring too. And it does carry over into their reactions to other things.
I suspect it's mainly HF loudmouths or very online whiners.

The Hawks last won the cup in '15. Since then they've either gone out in the first round or missed the playoffs.

I don't think that at this point 'resenting the Hawks' success is a 'thing' for the vast majority of hockey fans.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019

They resent the Hawks for their on ice success that ended 5+ years ago now and the off ice stuff. Right now I think the resentment is more toward covering up rape than anything else.

Reactions: Malaka

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
You missed the point. No problem.
The team supplies the uniforms for practice, pregame and games.
I’m split on this though.
We don’t KNOW if Russian players fear retribution against family back home or if they go back in the offseason.
We don’t KNOW if it’s just upper mgmt being as dumb as they are becoming known to be.

In the end I’m just gonna see if the facts come out before picking a side.

Nobody is fearing retribution in Russia. To believe as such is just unworldly.

I mean Bobrovsky just wore a pride jersey and nobody gave two craps about it. Didnt even make Russian media.

Playing the Putin card is a convenient excuse.

Reactions: Hakoon

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I was going to stay out of this but I really wonder what caused the Blackhawks security team to deem there is a risk or if there was anything specific. Realizing that the Russian justice system pretty much does whatever it wants, could there actually be something that threatens a player’s family that the public or NHL does not know about? I do not really think that there is but I also wouldn’t be surprised if there was.

I understand the reasons for teams to have Pride nights, which btw the Blackhawks still had, and the need to support inclusion of everyone in the sport. However, current issues also make this more complicated than just supporting inclusion. Seeing sports governing bodies allowing transgender athletes that were born biologically male to compete against girls and women is very controversial and is part of or should be part of the conversation.

Granted, I have vested interest in this since both my children play youth hockey, one boy and one girl. Personally, I think that a biological male who plays against boys throughout youth hockey and then transitions will still have physical advantages that most girls will not have.

Something that I haven’t seen brought up but I feel that it should be part of the discussion.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
1679851016525.png

Inclusive, laudable apolitical goal.

1679851094023.png

Virtue signaling, redundant political goal.

A difference between the two.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
If you can't signal out those who feel excluded specifically, you're not actually doing anything for your goal.
Are there uncoordinated, weak non athletic people excluded from hockey? When is their night scheduled, because I'd bet there are a whole lot more of them than LGBTQ?

I thought the word Everyone kind of explained it pretty well.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But tgecNHK suits as a Leaguexset up thisxwhoke nonsense of special interest nights forctgese socio-poiticakbcauses. Maybevtge club suits disagree with any policy dorcibgvpkaysrs to wear symbols of any cause..Therevusxavhigher morakittcagaibat dictatorial policies than is promoting "noble causes" at mere sporting events which is plain Wrong anyway...It is nit tge venue to promote such causes.Leavevit to each person individually to go to rallies in supoett of whatever cause if they wish...Do not dictate ..even if you as bosses of tge league think itbis God for the NHL brand to do so.

Maybe Wirtz believes I btge greater principle...no dictatorship?
If Danny Wirtz actually sided then the Russian law excuse makes no sense...butbifvhe believes that Bettman et al is simply wrong in involving the NHL in such showcase a cause special event nights(what's next?...save the planet.. reduce Co2 emissions..so turning off al heat in the building to support the cause save the planet and on and on into ridiculous outcomes?) tgen he shoukd have tge guys to fight against all such special night dictates from the league...notvsingkevoutca lame excuse that Russiahas a law and that this excuse gets him off tge hook for defying the NHL wanting to promote such nightscso tgatvits brand can be seen as 9n board with any or every woke PC cause.

The wrong here then us not providing such an excuse to get away from forcingbpkayers to conform to what the league wants pkayerscto do for the alleged good of their brand in the approval of the PC police,but rather a gutless non-proclamation from the club that the NHL forcing any player to were symbols of a cause is a greater harm to societal values than merely holding a night for such cause where players do not wear symbols of that cause Because to be honest,even if players wre allowed free choice to wear or not wear such symbols,Everybody Knows those who do not put on the symbol will be shamed,cancelled, and have implied threats hurled at them by the woke mobs demanding compliance tobthe latest trend PC agenda for such causes.

So maybevtge club decided between a rock and a hard place in the vkas of values...alleged noble cause (for brand pkwromotion) vs. Princile of freedom of choice ...and decided to compromise with a special event night but not having players wear the controversial symbols?

Sorry but the issue here goes way deeper than just declaring Hawks fault, or Russian players at fault, or any player refusing to wear the Rainbow symbol at fault...just because the supporters of the cause dictating what players must wear if it supports the the cause they demand the club get behind....is itself a bow down to dictatorship..

The best policy to AVOID these issues and controversies would be for Sourts to stick onlyvtobSports..not to socio-political-cultural issues that are bigger than sports...than games. .than mere entertainment.

There are places to express such support...to lend voices to causes...to wear symbols of such causes if one wants to express suport that way... THERE..butthat place is NOT appropriate at sporting venues when mere games are what people paid for to attend .PERIOD.

The tragedy here is not the fault of anyone but the NHL for putting clubs and players into such predicaments (melee because some Marketing suits thought it was good for the league brand to be seen as suporting this cause).
Instead we get a divisive issue.. amongst pkayersxand fans ...

Nobody is against LGBTQ asking for full rights in society...but the place to suport that ifvyou want to is a rally forctfatcsoecific cause with no other event going on that you paid to attend to get entertained.

That us THE most important point list in this entire spotlight as the woeust media looks to blame tge Hawksor the Russians or any otger pkayers refusing to don the symbols they advocate for .
It us sinoly lost on the Mark Lazerus and Pierre LeBrun sports writer types that simply Sports MUST stick to SPORTS and not get involved in general societal/cultural/political debates and cause agendas.

It is shameful that they do nit understand this very simple idea..stick to sports ...far less divisive ...far less harms result than taking uo a cause and ramming it doen the treats of pkayers and fans.
There are plenty of media and plenty of social media where such issues can be covered and ooinionions given...but nobody...I mean nobody should be forced or shamed or threatened by social cancelation for simply preserving their own privacy towards any cause in contradiction to what some suit or some dictatorial mob wants them to do which they do not want to do.

Yes the Hawks SHOULD have been transparent...still holding a night in honor of LGBTQ rights (though tgeycshoukd not get involved in such causes at a game...hold it separate from the gane at a different date if they want such a night)..but because hgere might be actual safety retribution by wokeist mobs to players choosing not to wear the Rainbow symbol) for player saftey or to avoid verbal harassment of such players by social abd axtuak media ,they will not allow any ljayers to wear th xsymbol AT THE GAME Or IN WARM-UPS ..if players in their private life decide to wearcrgexsymbol..that is ok.. ..but Not at the game or in warm-ups..

The Hawks did get to that policy ...but by introducing the Russian law excuse to protect pkayers from potential harms ,tge Hawjs fudged o the real issue...which is and shoukd becoaramount...Sports must stick to Sports... ANY deviation and you encourage controversy and divisiveness.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm wondering if it was just a simple as the sponsors crying. Was it a sales related move? There has to be some pressure to keep money coming in with dark days ahead.

Plenty of regional corporate political activism compared to big social conscious national or larger publicly traded companies that sponsor the Hawks. They buy helmet adds, signage, suites, etc. Blackhawks have sizeable corporate support from Midwest/regional companies. The helmet sponsor CEO, who is a GOP/Maga donor for example, may have been calling and griping.

It would make a little more sense of the lame Russian excuse to me if the Hawks were pandering to sales and a group of STHs instead of knowingly dropping a grenade in their rear pocket after the last 18 months or so.

Anyway, doubtful we'll learn that the players were against anything but hoping there is some follow up as to why the Hawks would further solidify themselves as one of the most anti-human-decency franchises in pro sports.

And to hell with all the players complaining about a jersey that says nothing more, and most likely less than "I accept you as an equal human"

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Pretty sure Laz is persona non grata around Hawks brass after the whole blow up by Rocky over the townhall question regarding Beach. That whole reaction to a fairly straightforward question everyone should have know was coming was rather bizzare by Rocky and leads me to think there had to be some underlying anger/hostility toward Laz by Rocky. Regardless, Hawks don;t have much reason to be responsive to Laz at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad