Confirmed with Link: The entire league lacks pride; also are cowards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Late to the conversation but personally I think NHL teams should just have one night a season where players can support and celebrate their own chosen cause whether that be the military, LGBTQIA+, heart and stroke, breast cancer, children’s hospital… whatever. The team can have special, individual practice jerseys and/or patches made up and they can be auctioned off with proceeds going to the respective charities. No one is forced to participate in support of cause they don’t align with and yet funds are still raised to support charitable organization.

Reactions: Pertti

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Late to the conversation but personally I think NHL teams should just have one night a season where players can support and celebrate their own chosen cause whether that be the military, LGBTQIA+, heart and stroke, breast cancer, children’s hospital… whatever. The team can have special, individual practice jerseys and/or patches made up and they can be auctioned off with proceeds going to the respective charities. No one is forced to participate in support of cause they don’t align with and yet funds are still raised to support charitable organization.
This wasn’t about funds, it was about awareness. No reason the message should be diluted.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah the NHL is taking a week of backlash to avoid a long-term headache. I’m betting the NHLPA pushed hard for this.

Reactions: Kurtosis

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Still support everything it stands for but I’m not going to lose sleep that NHL teams aren’t repping pride jerseys. Get real people.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why were the jerseys an issue?
You could have a jersey for a boat load of world issues. May as well just not have anything, but I understand where people can be upset. I'm just pointing out that they are one of the more progressive major league sports out of the 4, this shouldn't be that big of a deal as long as they still still allow for teams to do "special" nights.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Well you knew this was going to come. It's one of those things where no matter what they do, they are going to piss somebody off. So they take the easy route and sit it out.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
None of us are "losing sleep" over it.

But it's a regressive decision that deserves criticism.

Bad choice of words but what’s going to change? I’m just being real. Most NHL players don’t give a shit about it and would rather not deal with it than support it. Hence why it’s gone.

Last edited:

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
Pretty pathetic. Most leagues have morality clauses you can be fined or even suspended for "conduct deemed detrimental to the league." Other league's also require players to have a certain amount of media availability & be involved in advertisement

You can choose not to adhere to league policies but you're not entitled to the millions if dollars that come with it. Whether these guys like it or not they ARE role models to children.

What a spineless decision.

Reactions: Idionym

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Great move by the league, Bettman coming thru in the draft and now this. Stick to hockey, leave politics to CNN and your sexuality at home, no one needs to know who you are attracted to at a hockey game, we go to the games or turn on the TV to watch the Hawks, I purchase Gamenter live to skip over all that and so would you if you knew how. Why would anyone be mad about this move?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As I said previously, people thinking that pride jerseys are political are letting everyone else know something really bad and dumb about themselves without realizing it.

It’s always telling how this was an absolutely nothingburger issue for years and years but then gays got involved and a load of backward folks got irrationally angry over something that they literally never would’ve noticed otherwise.

And good job being so mad that you’re also okay with charities for veterans, various diseases, and various heritage and cultural nights getting nixed as well, all because rainbow designs hurt your feelings.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I've always taken the position that I'm tuning into sports to watch sports. I don't want to watch any political or social issue. I'm actually watching sports to get away from all that stuff.

It's too bad that the NHL threw the baby out with the bath water. I liked paying homage to the men and women that died for our continent. I think everyone can agree with that.

The pride stuff has gone a little too far. People need to understand that not everyone supports it. The NHL was forcing every player to support it and some took a stand. They took a stand and the media tarred and feathered them. TSN is still listing the players that refused to wear the pride jersey is their most recent article that was printed yesterday. There was even a goof that said Provorov should have been fined and suspended. That's just being a bully and radical. That's being intolerante of someone else's views and that is where the line has to be drawn.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I've always taken the position that I'm tuning into sports to watch sports. I don't want to watch any political or social issue. I'm actually watching sports to get away from all that stuff.

It's too bad that the NHL threw the baby out with the bath water. I liked paying homage to the men and women that died for our continent. I think everyone can agree with that.

The pride stuff has gone a little too far. People need to understand that not everyone supports it.
The NHL was forcing every player to support it and some took a stand. They took a stand and the media tarred and feathered them. TSN is still listing the players that refused to wear the pride jersey is their most recent article that was printed yesterday. There was even a goof that said Provorov should have been fined and suspended. That's just being a bully and radical. That's being intolerante of someone else's views and that is where the line has to be drawn.

No, I don't think everyone can agree with that. The bolded is completely hypocritical. You say you don't want to watch anything political, but then say you like paying homage to the military. Then you go on to say that not everyone supports pride stuff as some sort of justification for your stance. Do you think everyone supports the US military?

Nobody is forcing the players to do anything, they can choose not to wear the jerseys and make a stand. Likewise, media and others can choose to call out those players for the bigots they are.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

The pride stuff has gone a little too far. People need to understand that not everyone supports it. The NHL was forcing every player to support it and some took a stand. They took a stand and the media tarred and feathered them. TSN is still listing the players that refused to wear the pride jersey is their most recent article that was printed yesterday. There was even a goof that said Provorov should have been fined and suspended. That's just being a bully and radical. That's being intolerante of someone else's views and that is where the line has to be drawn.

What is your opinion on supporting the LGBTQ+ community, yourself?

Are you ok with paying homage and supporting the men and women that died for our country, but not ok with the LGBTQ+ community getting to enjoy those same rights and freedoms that those men and women died defending? Because that's all they want. To be looked at as people, as humans, as part of the country, or world. It's kind of wild that you'd be ok supporting the soldiers, but not ok supporting the rights and freedoms of a large community of the people they died for.

They don't want to be ostracized, persecuted, prevented from marrying, or showing public displays of effection, or be attacked both physically, and mentally, solely based upon who they choose to love. They simply want the same rights and treatment that everyone else gets to enjoy, free from persecution. I really don't think that's a lot to ask. Even if you don't agree with it, or players don't agree with it, for whatever reason, you can still choose to support the premise that those people deserve the same rights that the rest of us get to enjoy.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
As I said previously, people thinking that pride jerseys are political are letting everyone else know something really bad and dumb about themselves without realizing it.

Agreed. It drives me crazy that just because the right grasps on to these issues, that makes them political. Allowing people to be who they are, without being discriminated against because of it, is not a political issue. Its a human rights issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad