Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Eichel, The Good, Bad, and Ugly - Sabres vs Bruins

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Botts needs to be working the phones. The middle six needs help now
The reinforcements are slow cooking in Rochester. We may have to wait until next year when the youngsters start to arrive. Pommers will be gone, and Housley will hopefully have the balls the bench Sobotka.

Reactions: Doohickie

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The reinforcements are slow cooking in Rochester. We may have to wait until next year when the youngsters start to arrive. Pommers will be gone, and Housley will hopefully have the balls the bench Sobotka.
I actually don’t have a problem with Sobotka centering that line. Other than Larsson we don’t really have another defensive center too put in that role. Let Vlad take his lumps. It might help to give him better suited linemates than the ones he plays with now. Wilson might be able to help when he returns.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
With Thompson/Nylander/Olofsson in the lineup I like our options for snipers. We should have a very nice playmaking center - sniper winger structure in place by next season.

We're going to be a hell of a team.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I may be a contrarian but I thought Risto played well. He and Bogo did a good job pounding the Bruins which is what you need to do. Dahlin was a disaster waiting to happen defensively more times than I care to count--he was being beat wide and then losing his man. He has to learn to angle the winger into the boards and prevent him staying in the play. He will get better defensively but sheesh he is a marvel offensively. Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart really play well together--on the entire ice. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the game--a true nail biter. Botts is getting a good look at all our D!

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Why waste assets?

We are certainly not a contender by any stretch. Let things grow in house for now.

This is the biggest catch 22 on this site. Arm chair GM's calamor for the future, retaining assets and draft picks etc because we aren't competing for real.

Meanwhile on the ice we have a team of guys who lay their personal and physical well being on the line every shift...I'm sure that narrative of...wait another year and see how we draft...resonates the same with the actual product?

Not saying you're wrong as I'd do the same thing as you but it trickles down. ROR quits because we fail to do what is necessary to be competitive. I'm sure if you asked Eichel whether he'd rather add a brassard, tarasenko, Duchene, whatever pick a name on the market or lose another year and hold out for next year his response would be different than ours. At some point this decade this franchise needs to stop looking at the horizon and start looking at now.

again the piece would have to fit the criteria but I'm getting tired of the wait and see approach. Yes this smells of Murray and I'm aware but my caveat is that Botts is smarter than Murray and I trust him, and this time we actually have AHL level replacements to accommodate some trades...

Reactions: RedRaider

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Botts needs to be working the phones. The middle six needs help now

Why? Do you think this team is winning the Cup this year? Let them grow. Stop being in a rush.

This is the biggest catch 22 on this site. Arm chair GM's calamor for the future, retaining assets and draft picks etc because we aren't competing for real.

Meanwhile on the ice we have a team of guys who lay their personal and physical well being on the line every shift...I'm sure that narrative of...wait another year and see how we draft...resonates the same with the actual product?

Not saying you're wrong as I'd do the same thing as you but it trickles down. ROR quits because we fail to do what is necessary to be competitive. I'm sure if you asked Eichel whether he'd rather add a brassard, tarasenko, Duchene, whatever pick a name on the market or lose another year and hold out for next year his response would be different than ours. At some point this decade this franchise needs to stop looking at the horizon and start looking at now.

again the piece would have to fit the criteria but I'm getting tired of the wait and see approach. Yes this smells of Murray and I'm aware but my caveat is that Botts is smarter than Murray and I trust him, and this time we actually have AHL level replacements to accommodate some trades...

Eichel and the rest of the current team don't have any investment into the future of this team. They want to win now, of course, at any cost. We, as fans, want long term winning.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Need to get this guy more help.

If anyone listened to that Botterill soundcloud, he talked about how Eichel,Reinhart, and Risto were sooo happy that Botts traded for Skinner, because it was a guy who could help now.

I still want to protect the 1sts, but if you can tinker for more 'now' talent, do it. The snowball has plenty of momentum.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

- Getting to watch this one with the kids on the big screen back at the old abode.
- Jack was on another level tonight.
- Ullmark made some big saves that again changed the complexion of the game for the better. Timely good goaltending makes such a difference.
- Gus on the PK and that last moment block, just selling out totally for the win.
- The adjustments on the blueline. Hunwick didn't look all that rusty which was a pleasant surprise.

The Bad:

- It'd be nice to see someone outside of the top line get going. Even haltingly. Just... something from the 2nd and 3rd lines.

The Ugly:

- Marchand.

Reactions: Graves and Eichel9

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Eichel is a beast. He's worth every penny of that contract. Reinhart has been very good too, his facepalm moment last night notwithstanding. I still think I might prefer to have him helping out the 2nd line, but then again I don't want to mess with that line while it's on fire.

I didn't think we would pull out a regulation win in Boston on the second of a back-to-back. Great game.

Reactions: TheStorm

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I’m changing my mind about keeping the super line together. I’ve clamored for Sam to help the Sobotka line and move Pommer up to get more from him. But I’d rather see the top line do its thing and build lines 2 and 3 over time.

We didn’t expect to be where we are right now. I’m not going to sweat the lack of depth to match up with Tampa or the Leafs in a season none of us expected to play out this well so far.

Yeah, that would be like busting up the CASH line in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad