Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Eichel, The Good, Bad, and Ugly - Sabres vs Bruins

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Tage has the hockey sense of a 2x4. He is a one trick pony and plays like he is the only player on the ice offensively. Now if he had an iota of awareness he might make a 3rd liner someday. His enthusiasm as you put it is worthless in that he'll lose 9/10 . Before you assail someone's hockey acumen look at your own because you suck as a talent evaluator.
Eh I think his hockey sense is fine and he anticipates the play pretty well. He doesn't use his teammates well but they suck pretty bad and he's probably better off just using that wicked wrister. Did have anything more than generalizations and name calling?

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
i see Thompson doing a lot of good things on the ice. there's going to be growing pains (along with Mittelstadt) but they're where they belong. most i think hate on him because of the trade and some of those to a ridiculous extent. bring up Nylander also, and i wouldn't mind seeing some Olafsson.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
i see Thompson doing a lot of good things on the ice. there's going to be growing pains (along with Mittelstadt) but they're where they belong. most i think hate on him because of the trade and some of those to a ridiculous extent. bring up Nylander also, and i wouldn't mind seeing some Olafsson.
I would love to see Olofsson out there on the PP1.

Skinner - Reinhart - Olofsson
Eichel -- Dahlin

Profit.

Reactions: zuikan

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The excuses for Tage seem to be getting incredibly hypocritical around here. At Tage's age you should see a lot more improvement, I am not writing him off yet but I am not overly optimistic like some are that hes going to become the player people envision like we did with Bailey. The kids that succeed in the NHL are already showing more at the same age and Tage pretty much as a full season under his belt from us and St. Louis combined.
I honestly don't see the difference it makes. If Nylander had stayed up and Thompson was down in the AHL tearing it up, we'd all be clamoring for his promotion and saying Nylander needs more time in the minors. Clamoring is something we do quite a lot of around here.
Not if Nylander was actually making a positive impact on this team, something Tage is yet to show.
What're you talking about? Thompson looked great in camp/preseason and everyone agreed he should stay up, along with Nylander. Nylander got sent down because (IMO) he had more history with the club of slubbing off, which got him benched in the AHL playoffs prior, and thus more to prove. Olofsson and Pilut likely didn't get the edge because they had zero NA pro experience and age/talent aside, they wanted to ease them in... which is fair.

I agree he probably should've gotten sent to the AHL once he and the team realized he was in over his head... but to claim he only made the team out of camp because of optics is ridiculous. He was up there with the rest of them.
Thompson didn't exactly show and prove every night in St. Louis when playing with the big club and had a history of sucking so I am not sure why Nylander's past is such a detriment and Tage gets a pass.
Eh I think his hockey sense is fine and he anticipates the play pretty well. He doesn't use his teammates well but they suck pretty bad and he's probably better off just using that wicked wrister. Did have anything more than generalizations and name calling?
This seems like the number 1 goto excuse for Sabre players, its all the players and the team and not the actual player. Maybe hes the jammed cog in the line that makes the other two worse?

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Well then it's pretty disingenuous to mention one and not the other, then expect the reader to assume you meant to convey both but simply didn't bother. So no, the poster didn't understand or you're just putting words in his mouth.

Well, I went back to double check, and as far as I can tell, the poster you jumped on made an original statement, that Sobotka and Thompson were two of the worst players in the league.

Which is a pretty fair statement. I don’t see why it’s on that poster to qualify an opinion about the current, with a future prediction of what a player might be.

That seems a bit excessive.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This back on forth is bizarre.

People saying he has no nhl ability are ridiculous. His shot is elite, full stop. His stickhandling is above average. His overall speed is good for his size.

For people blaming teammates or that think he looks fine. Come on. He is a tick slow all the time. I’m not even talking about the first month or so when he was unprepared, it looked worse than Grigorenko. I’m just talking about his last ten games.

In 99% of organizations that have the options we did and do have on the wing, Tage would have gone down to the ahl. It’s just a fact. Guys that look as lost as him don’t stay up. The team kept him up, even playing in roles not suited for him, even if he was ready for the pace. They must have some insight as to why he is a special prospect that needs to be developed this way. But he didn’t stay up because he has been a net positive. Indeed he has had numerous horrible plays that would get many players sat for a month.

I think he has a very good chance of figuring out the mental speed of the game and becoming a productive player.

What a weird fight from both sides for like three pages.

:huh:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Thompson didn't exactly show and prove every night in St. Louis when playing with the big club and had a history of sucking so I am not sure why Nylander's past is such a detriment and Tage gets a pass.
I don't think effort has ever been a question in Tage's game. In most aspects of life... if you're trying hard, even if it isn't producing the desired results, people are more likely to give you a pass. Especially if the potential for something good is there.

Nylander got benched for coasting in the AHL playoffs.

Reactions: Reddawg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't think effort has ever been a question in Tage's game. In most aspects of life... if you're trying hard, even if it isn't producing the desired results, people are more likely to give you a pass. Especially if the potential for something good is there.

Nylander got benched for coasting in the AHL playoffs.
Nylander also didn't come back 100% as was evident when he had to sit out at development camp for the same injury that sidelined him that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->