Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Eichel, The Good, Bad, and Ugly - Sabres vs Bruins

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
We need a 2nd and 3rd line period.

I think we need more scoring from our middle six, but think about this: The Sabres were a collective -484 last year (sum of all the +/-). Scaled back to 34 games that is -200. This year the team after 34 games is +12. So they're not scoring as much as we'd like, but they're also not allowing a bunch of goals either.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Reinhart's board play on the GWG was really good. So strong on his skates, two years ago he would have gotten absolutely bowled over when the guy tried to hit him off the puck. Sammy also made a terrific play on the empty netter

Reino is the enabler that turns Jack and Jeff loose. A lot of the time that starts from the Sabres zone. You won't always see him in the highlight reel but he's probably the one who started the rush or dug the puck out of the boards.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
The fact that the Eichel-line is literally our only offensive threat makes their production even more impressive. It's not like our opponents have to think twice as to where to focus their best defence, and yet they can't be stopped.
I too would love some secondary scoring, but... We're winning so I'm not losing sleep over it.
I'm happy Eichel scored that open net goal so Zemgus could get an assist from his blocked shot.
And the refs were really bad, but in our favor. Calling Toronto to find out they weren't allowed to call Toronto... That was pretty funny. Kind of got me thinking of people calling tech support to find out the printer needs to be plugged in to work.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing them work in a Rochester recall, get some sort of spark internally.

This is where I'm at too. Why would anyone talk about going and getting talent when they're not even leveraging all of it which is currently in the system?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think we need more scoring from our middle six, but think about this: The Sabres were a collective -484 last year (sum of all the +/-). Scaled back to 34 games that is -200. This year the team after 34 games is +12. So they're not scoring as much as we'd like, but they're also not allowing a bunch of goals either.
While it probably doesn't tell the whole story, I bet our vastly improved goaltending this year is a big part of that. Not to mention we at least have two functional lines at the moment, which is two more lines than we had last year. :laugh:

I just don't like that we're always counting the games between those in which our middle six actually produce anything. If Eichel/Skinner/Reinhart go cold for a little while, we're looking at another big losing streak... though maybe that back-against-the-wall scenario is exactly what the middle six needs to snap out of it. Instead of playing weak because they know the first line and goaltenders can bail the team out more often than not.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Guys David Pastrnak was ranked about Jack Eichel in TSN’s top 10 young players list.

This isn't exactly crazy. Pastrnak is a terrific young player. Given both his and Jack's production to date, the ranking is probably justifiable.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
This isn't exactly crazy. Pastrnak is a terrific young player. Given both his and Jack's production to date, the ranking is probably justifiable.
Except Pasta has been running shotgun with Bergeron and Marchand. Who has Eichel had? He drives the play. (Not saying Pasternak isn’t awesome)

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

One plays with Bergeron and Marchand as a winger, the other has been carrying his line for 4 years, it’s not justifiable IMO. But I don’t really feel like debating it...

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
I just don't like that we're always counting the games between those in which our middle six actually produce anything.

Last game was the Eichel line, but that's to be expected in Bahston where Eich is from. He's bound to have a big game. Caps was another Eichel show, with Dahlin pitching in a goal.

The previous two games, though, were more diverse: The Arizona game had goals from Mitts, Skinner and ERod; The L.A. game had two Eichel line goals along with two 4th line goals (Girgs, Larsson). Still dominated by Eichel's line, but not as exclusively.

As for what happens if the Eichel line goes cold, we've seen Phil tinker with the lines (including Pommer on that line). Right now Reinhart it working with the line, and quite well. If that cools off, he might be able to invigorate the second or third line (I wouldn't mind seeing him on Mittelstadt's line at some point.)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Thats unfortunate. If you don't see his above average (enthusiastic) board play, obviously top notch shot, ridiculous hands combined with the big frame and skating ability, I'm happy to disagree. But when you factor in the fact that he doesn't lack hockey sense, I have to admit I don't understand how one wouldn't see his raging potential.

It's less about agreement and more about understanding. Do you disagree with my analysis or another factor?

There’s a world of difference between what someone said, he is one of the worst players in the league, and he has a ton of potential.

He is both, not a very good nhl player right now and he has great tools to become very good.

I think the previous poster understands just fine.

Last edited:

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Why? Do you think this team is winning the Cup this year? Let them grow. Stop being in a rush.

With Jack as good as he is right now, we could become a legit threat with some secondary scoring.

It’s not about making a move to win a cup this year, and overpaying for rentals. Im not talking about that.

But there are certainly deals that can be done that not only help now, but help going forward. Bringing in 25-27 year old middle six player who is under contract for another year after this. If that’s at the expense of a Bailey type prospect and a 2nd, so be it.

Also, if Botts’ plan is to raid Rochester for re-inforcements, why wait? Starting bringing these guys up now.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Pretty certain Phil can now call his real estate agent back and cancel any recent plans to put a for sale sign up on his Buffalo residence. :D

Even though he still manages to frustrate me occasionally. (At least it's occasionally now versus constantly...) :laugh:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Pretty certain Phil can now call his real estate agent back and cancel any recent plans to put a for sale sign up on his Buffalo residence. :D

Even though he still manages to frustrate me occasionally. (At least it's occasionally now versus constantly...) :laugh:
If the team keeps this up he's going to win the Jack Adams in a walk.

Reactions: SabresFan26

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
Beating Boston
1st line taking over
Girgs shot block late
Ullmark looked strong in net
Getting 7 of 8 pts. out of the past 4 games

B
No secondary scoring, but a win's a win.

U
Marchand

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
To be fair his linemates are Pominvisible and Sobotka. While I agree he is still very raw, I do genuinely see a lot of potential in him to be a good middle 6 winger.

The entire middle six is invisible haha. Here’s to hoping the eventual influx of youth from Rochester solves our lack of depth scoring.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
With Jack as good as he is right now, we could become a legit threat with some secondary scoring.

It’s not about making a move to win a cup this year, and overpaying for rentals. Im not talking about that.

But there are certainly deals that can be done that not only help now, but help going forward. Bringing in 25-27 year old middle six player who is under contract for another year after this. If that’s at the expense of a Bailey type prospect and a 2nd, so be it.

Also, if Botts’ plan is to raid Rochester for re-inforcements, why wait? Starting bringing these guys up now.

Thank goodness Botterill said on the podcast that this team isn't just one player away from the Cup. That he isn't going to package these 1sts for one player to try to win now. THANK YOU JASON!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->