The Dallas Stars look really bad

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm fairly hopeful the team will officially call someone with offensive skill up tomorow. Gurianov or JRob . The team needed to send 1 player down for Perry coming back soon but not two.

Gurianov has been really good in his two AHL games and Roberstson has been shooting like a mad man with the Texas Stars . The team needs someone who brings offensive energy because the big guns don't bring any right now.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Gardner's been a much better fit in the bottom 6. He looks like a great 4th line center. If Caamano didn't have the one goal, this would've been an easy and obvious decision.

Dowling then.

Hell, send Benn down for all I care, maybe some other team would take a flier on that contract but I doubt it.

Dude needs a serious kick in the ass, he's been terrible through seven. Sad (and very frustrating) to see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I honestly had to check the scoresheet to see if Pavs played yesterday. I don't think I've ever had to do that in game I've watched him in before.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also, it seemed like once someone pushed back on Benn, he spent the rest of the game trying to get even physically rather than trying to win the game. Is that his MO in games someone knocks him down?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Dowling then.

Hell, send Benn down for all I care, maybe some other team would take a flier on that contract but I doubt it.

Dude needs a serious kick in the ass, he's been terrible through seven. Sad (and very frustrating) to see.
I know you know they wouldn't actually assign Benn to Texas, but even if they wanted to, he has an NMC, so they can't.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dowling then.

The coaching staff really likes Dowling and behind Radulov he's the only player who doesn't object to playing half wall on the PP . Which is just dumb but nobody else wants to play there.

I don't agree with it but Dowling is not going anywhere. The team aparently told him to get a place in Dallas so he's not getting waived anytime soon.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Also, it seemed like once someone pushed back on Benn, he spent the rest of the game trying to get even physically rather than trying to win the game. Is that his MO in games someone knocks him down?

In that game yeah, he should have just ignored Risto. Not sure why he insisted on skating over to him all the time. Let it go, Jamie. The Stars aren't paying you 13 million this season to breath down a guy's neck after every whistle.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For me the problem seems to be pretty obvious.

Tyler Seguin (9.850AAV, 8 years) - 3 points
Jamie Benn (9.500AAV, 6 years) - 2 points
Joe Pavelski (7.000AAV, 3 years) - 1 point
Alex Radulov (6.250AAV, 3 years) - 2 points
Esa Lindell (5.800AAV, 6 years) - 1 point
John Klingberg (4.250AAV, 3 years) - 1 point

42.650M (52% of the cap) have combined for 4 goals, 10 points in the first 7 games. No matter who the coach, system, wether or not we signed Zuccarelo that’s terrible. Hintz has been able to keep us in most of our games, 4 of our 6 loses have been a one goal difference. If our best players played like they are paid to we could easily be 5-2-0 instead.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I know you know they wouldn't actually assign Benn to Texas, but even if they wanted to, he has an NMC, so they can't.

I know, just wishful thinking in the early days I guess. :help:

The coaching staff really likes Dowling and behind Radulov he's the only player who doesn't object to playing half wall on the PP . Which is just dumb but nobody else wants to play there.

I don't agree with it but Dowling is not going anywhere. The team aparently told him to get a place in Dallas so he's not getting waived anytime soon.

Curious that they're so fixated on using a 29-year old journeyman with zero goals in a scant 26 career NHL games, as such an integral piece of the power play.

Kind of explains why their PP% is the worst among teams that have scored at least one PP goal.

4.5% success rate.

Outstanding. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In that game yeah, he should have just ignored Risto. Not sure why he insisted on skating over to him all the time. Let it go, Jamie. The Stars aren't paying you 13 million this season to breath down a guy's neck after every whistle.

It really was like Risto was going to turn and give him a Finnish version of "stop steaming up my tail".

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

42.650M (52% of the cap) have combined for 4 goals, 10 points in the first 7 games. No matter who the coach, system, wether or not we signed Zuccarelo that’s terrible. Hintz has been able to keep us in most of our games, 4 of our 6 loses have been a one goal difference. If our best players played like they are paid to we could easily be 5-2-0 instead.
This.
It is amazing how it is this again.
Same problem last season...

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know, just wishful thinking in the early days I guess. :help:

Curious that they're so fixated on using a 29-year old journeyman with zero goals in a scant 26 career NHL games, as such an integral piece of the power play.

Kind of explains why their PP% is the worst among teams that have scored at least one PP goal.

4.5% success rate.

Outstanding. :laugh:

I mean the first unit doesn't use Dowling and argueably has been worse than the second one who actually had a goal on a set play against the Blues. Yeah the Replay negated it but the second unit with Dowling sadly looks better than the first.

The only real PP goal was basically Hintz beating everybody in a race at the start of a period and making a great pass

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This.
It is amazing how it is this again.
Same problem last season...

Kind of the same problem. The issue was last year that nobody outside these guys and Heiskanen could do a thing for us. Now we’ve got depth scoring (9 goals from players outside of Benn, Seguin, Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, Lindell).

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Kind of the same problem. The issue was last year that nobody outside these guys and Heiskanen could do a thing for us. Now we’ve got depth scoring (9 goals from players outside of Benn, Seguin, Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, Lindell).
Agree. If our top guys could help chip in a goal or more a game, which means they’d probably be playing a better all around game, we could possibly have more wins than losses.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Agree. If our top guys could help chip in a goal or more a game, which means they’d probably be playing a better all around game, we could possibly have more wins than losses.

It’s easy to forget how close some of these games were. Not making any excuses we deserved every one of those loses just need to get the big guns rolling and we’ll get some wins. Needs to happen quick though.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dowling then.

I totally agree on Dowling. The problem is Caamano would likely be sitting then. I'd rather he get ice time in the AHL than ride the bench in the NHL.

Dowling should be the 14th forward and shouldn't see ice time again (hopefully ever). If we need a bottom 6 player due to injury, call up Caamano, Kiviranta, and L'Esperance. Top 6, Gurianov or Robertson. Dowling shouldn't have to play unless we're dealing with massive amounts of injuries.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I honestly had to check the scoresheet to see if Pavs played yesterday. I don't think I've ever had to do that in game I've watched him in before.

Pavs is a one trick pony. The majority of his goals come from tips and rebounds. Outside of that, he’s pretty useless. Great guy, great leader but his skating is absolutely shot and it’s pretty clear he was a product of the system in SJ. I think he’ll be bought out on year 3 like Marleau was.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Roope Hintz leads the team in scoring. Second on the list is Mattias Janmark.

Seguin and Radulov are at least trying but can't seem to break through.

Pavelski's been a non-factor, Perry's still injured, and I don't know where the **** so-called captain Jamie Benn left his talent but he certainly hasn't brought it out to a single game this year. :laugh: :help:

That's the problem.

Hintz can't be your best forward.
If he is then the stars of the team are hitting bottom.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That's the problem.

Hintz can't be your best forward.
If he is then the stars of the team are hitting bottom.

Well, yeah.

The talent is there. Or at least it should be.

Execution is sorely lacking or non-existent.

Dallas's problems are either mental or they're trying to buy in to a dysfunctional new system......which would also be classified as "mental" since it clearly is not working.

Like there's a reason a lot of hockey pundits or journos had high hopes for Dallas. Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski, Klingberg, Heiskanen, Bishop. Depth added, and coming off an inspired (but still rare) playoff run.

This stumble out of the gate has definitely put them in a bad spot. Not insurmountable, not yet, but they need to turn things around very quickly.

Reactions: Elysian

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
If their game against Buffalo yesterday is typical for them, yikes is their offense bad. Hintz was the only forward who looked good. Benn looked like he'd fallen off a steep cliff. Plus, aside from his offense being non-existent, he wasn't even the physical presence he normally is. The entire team struggled to create anything offensively. Was probably the easiest shutout of Hutton's career. On paper, they don't look like a team that should be fighting that hard to put the puck in the net, but something's not working there.

Yup, that's been typical this season so far. Our "top"guys have been lackluster and not creating any offense; they just look like they don't give a shit. PP has no bite to it. Benn is useless (as he has been for the better part of the last season or two), Seguin seems slower, Radulov just takes penalties, Klingberg has been horrible, Lindell has been underwhelming, and it seems like Hintz, Janmark, and Heiskanen are the only ones who have been showing up so far (Oleksiak hasn't been half bad so far either in his limited role). You combine that with their ridiculous schedule to start the season and they're just dug into a hole I don't see them escaping. Less than a month in and I'm almost to the point of not even being interested in watching hockey for the rest of the season.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Pavs is a one trick pony. The majority of his goals come from tips and rebounds. Outside of that, he’s pretty useless. Great guy, great leader but his skating is absolutely shot and it’s pretty clear he was a product of the system in SJ. I think he’ll be bought out on year 3 like Marleau was.

This post is not hyperbole. watch this video and see how many of his goals last year came from tips, rebounds, or in tight plays. He had a couple of snipes too, i'll give him that, but he was primarily garbage goal guy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The Dallas PP isn't going to be stuck at 4.55% with that lineup but yes their bad start is extremely surprising.

Maybe they are trying to copy what the Blues did last year?....................

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad