The Dallas Stars look really bad

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't think it helps them much that Jamie Benn, the captain and ostensible lynchpin of the team, has looked increasingly bad for the past two years.

He's 30, has had 2 hip surgeries, and plays the type of game that tends to lead to "probably won't age well"

Not to say he can't return to the glory days, but it probably wouldn't shock anyone if he didn't. Which with that contract.... woof.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Wait, what’s the 2?

How do you get OTLs in regulation?

The 2 accounts for being tied at the end of regulation.

Ever since 16-17, when the Kings led the league in OT wins, but still missed the playoffs by 8 points, personally I put zero stock in what happens after 60 minutes. Both 3v3 and SO's are too random. Good teams can have bad OT records, bad teams can have good SO records, etc. But then TB had a great regulation record last year, and got swept in the 1st round. Calgary was #2, and also didn't put up much of a fight come playoff time. It's not a perfect system to go by, but I would say you generally get a more accurate picture of what a team is by what they do in the normal 60 minutes.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If their game against Buffalo yesterday is typical for them, yikes is their offense bad. Hintz was the only forward who looked good. Benn looked like he'd fallen off a steep cliff. Plus, aside from his offense being non-existent, he wasn't even the physical presence he normally is. The entire team struggled to create anything offensively. Was probably the easiest shutout of Hutton's career. On paper, they don't look like a team that should be fighting that hard to put the puck in the net, but something's not working there.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
It's actually fascinating to watch a team so lacking in any kind of cohesion.

Bad passes, pucks bouncing off sticks, zero creativity in the offensive zone, keystone cops in the neutral zone and questionable coaching. I mean, you have arguably the best net-front PP guy in the league playing the HALF BOARDS on the PP. Jamie Benn, who wasn't that bad against Buffalo (as far as his standards go from the last two seasons) loafs around the perimeter looking to blow up shinpads. You have one John Klingberg who is suddenly carrying the puck like it's a hand grenade. And all of these things are done in the slowest motion possible as Jim Nill has assembled a team of sloths outside a handful of players.

It's like a train wreck you can't look away from. I highly recommend those who haven't to tune in.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
nhl network a couple analysts thought dallas would win the central div. i know cap is tight but any interest in zuccarello back for 2-2nds? my wild need a rebuild.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't know how anyone can be surprised by this.

One of the top defensive teams from last season, fresh off a playoff run that was one goal short of a semifinal berth, shoring up some offensive depth with FA signings over the summer.....I wasn't surprised to see a lot of hockey pundits pick Dallas to be a top team, or at least try and surpass last season's results.

For them to be this bad out of the gate......I mean unless you hold a grudge against Dallas or hate them for some unknown reason, I'm pretty sure these results are a surprise to most people.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I know everyone says coaching is the issue when their team is sucking, but Dallas really needs a coaching change. Their system and style takes zero advantage of their offensive talent.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Instead of spending time being good at hockey they are spending time being bad at hockey

giphy.gif

Jets aint dat good either right now :(

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
One of the top defensive teams from last season, fresh off a playoff run that was one goal short of a semifinal berth, shoring up some offensive depth with FA signings over the summer.....I wasn't surprised to see a lot of hockey pundits pick Dallas to be a top team, or at least try and surpass last season's results.

For them to be this bad out of the gate......I mean unless you hold a grudge against Dallas or hate them for some unknown reason, I'm pretty sure these results are a surprise to most people.
Not to fans of Central Division teams. It was easy to see.
Edit: I'm not saying they'll end up with 30 points or something. Just saying it was obvious to people who paid a bit of attention that they would be a bottom 2 team in the Central this year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Offense sucks, PP is the worst in the NHL (only 1 goal this season on it), top guys aren't showing up, our offense is at it's best when we are scoring off the rush, but Montgomery prefers the dump and chase method of offense but our team is too slow so it doesnt work, and we aren't getting Vezina level goaltending so far

Thank God it's still early, although that might just mean its gonna be a super and brutal long season

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Offense sucks, PP is the worst in the NHL (only 1 goal this season on it), top guys aren't showing up, our offense is at it's best when we are scoring off the rush, but Montgomery prefers the dump and chase method of offense but our team is too slow so it doesnt work, and we aren't getting Vezina level goaltending so far

4 Teams have yet to score a power play goal so Stars don't have the worst just a terrible one.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
4 Teams have yet to score a power play goal so Stars don't have the worst just a terrible one.

Oh I know, but just based on the way it looks I said the worst. Stars struggle to even get a shot on goal during most PP's so I figured it can't get much worse than that, especially considering the talent up front. We can stack a PP unit but they just dump it in on the PP and lose the race everytime

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I know everyone says coaching is the issue when their team is sucking, but Dallas really needs a coaching change. Their system and style takes zero advantage of their offensive talent.

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of system Jim Montgomery has them playing in.....it's either a horrible system or the players have completely tuned him out already.

The talent is there but it's clearly not being utilized. Whether that's on the players or coaching, I can't tell.

Edit: I'm not saying they'll end up with 30 points or something. Just saying it was obvious to people who paid a bit of attention that they would be a bottom 2 team in the Central this year.

Outside of Zucc and a few lesser pieces leaving, and Pavelski/Perry/Sekera getting added, it's more or less the same team that thumped Nashville and nearly took out the eventual champs before folding like a cheap tent in Games 6 and 7. Maybe that should've been the red flag, I don't know.

But their defense/goaltending was best in the conference last year. To see all of it just completely disappear overnight and for the team to be in this bad of a funk, it's still surprising to me.

That said, I'm curious to see if/when they can turn it around. Maybe a few more losses will force management to make a move.

San Jose didn't wait very long and it's looked good for them so far. Maybe Jim Lites needs to go public with some harsh words for the team's top guns, maybe that'll wake 'em up.

Can't be any worse than what they've heard from the fans during the first few uninspiring home games. Nothing but booing and sarcastic support for the visiting team as the Stars lose game after game. :laugh:

he was the heart and soul of Dallas. Thats why they look so bad now.

He was definitely fun to watch and I'll admit I was on board with Dallas bringing him back for this season. That said, the way this team has played so far I'm just glad there's at least a possible lottery pick to look forward to.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Oh I know, but just based on the way it looks I said the worst. Stars struggle to even get a shot on goal during most PP's so I figured it can't get much worse than that, especially considering the talent up front. We can stack a PP unit but they just dump it in on the PP and lose the race everytime

Icing the puck during a PP seems like one of our "special set plays", doesn't it? :laugh:

Dump and chase hockey just does not work for Dallas whenever Roope isn't on the ice.

I hope they realize this soon enough.

Reactions: Kcb12345
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Almost every player is underperforming. Seems like an odd take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad