The COVID 19 Thread (Part II - READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Blame China if it makes you feel any better....but Trump was warned about this virus back in January and dismissed it. So it had a chance to emigrate from China to Europe, and from there take hold in the U.S.

But that's the just the reality of the 'anti-intellectual' virus that grips the U.S. these days. Doctors and health experts with university and research training are dismissed, while guys like Trump; the NRA; and bible-thumping preachers are the new intelligentsia'.

It takes a Pandemic for people to realize that these dedicated experts who spend their entire lives studying viruses and germs, aren't the ''nattering nabobs of negativity' they 're dismissed as.

But will attitudes change down there, once this nightmare has run its course? Not likely.
They've been doing it for a long time now. "Don't listen to biologists who talk about evolution, don't listen to scientists who talk about global warming, don't listen to this Fauci guy about viruses! It's all a plot to take away your rights!!1!" When covid starts flaring up again in those places in the Bible Belt where this kind of thinking is commonplace, how much do you want to bet the same people disparaging the scientists now will be lashing out because they weren't properly informed by China or the libs or whoever? They're not real good at taking responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Just had three families with 2 kids each all gathered in the courtyard of my apartment complex in all super close proximity .. was gonna lose my shit. Hugging each other

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Didn’t the Chinese government vilify the doctor in
Wuhan who first said (he believed in December 2019) there was a novel Coronavirus in his practice? i think they even made the doctor sign some documentation that he was wrong, or something like that. Then the guy actually died from Covid 19. It’s pretty terrible the way the Chinese government treated that doctor, don’t you think? Trump is a clown, but the Chinese government was not honest, and even attacked the doctor who first said something about Covid 19.
Anger erupts after virus whistleblower doctor dies

And Taiwan warned WHO. But the politics of trying to have Taiwan not be recognized as a country trumped the need to take the virus seriously.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Hi all, ChiliBilly's brother here, in the billabong in Australia.

Some updates to his comments and the responses.

We now have enforced isolation. Anyone going out is fined $1000 unless it is to see a partner or get groceries or other approved activity.

No vacationing. A major highway that is normally blocked on Easter does not have a single car on it.

I am just winding down my Schrodinger virus. (maybe it is Covid, maybe it isn't). I can come out of isolation in two days after twelve days on my own. I didn't have severe symptoms...mild fever, dry cough at the end, tiredness, headache.

I contacted the local hospital Covid line. They have no idea about testing for antibodies. I would obviously like to get tested for antibodies. If I have them, I could volunteer in the Covid ward of a hospital....but we aren't doing that yet. Big mistake, methinks.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

We now have enforced isolation. Anyone going out is fined $1000 unless it is to see a partner or get groceries or other approved activity.

No vacationing. A major highway that is normally blocked on Easter does not have a single car on it.

I am just winding down my Schrodinger virus. (maybe it is Covid, maybe it isn't). I can come out of isolation in two days after twelve days on my own. I didn't have severe symptoms...mild fever, dry cough at the end, tiredness, headache.

I contacted the local hospital Covid line. They have no idea about testing for antibodies. I would obviously like to get tested for antibodies. If I have them, I could volunteer in the Covid ward of a hospital....but we aren't doing that yet. Big mistake, methinks.

Glad you are safe and in the mend.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

A reporter asked Trump today if he had been given an antibody test. He said he didn't think so. Then he asked his people if he had been given one. They said no. then he asked if anyone of the task force had been given one. The shocker then came out. They don't have one yet!

It makes sense. I haven't read about or seen it reported on any newscast that anyone has taken it in the US. They all talk about an antibody test, but it just may be that everyone is working on it, but it's not ready to go into practice. I have heard it's necessary to pass such a test to get out of Wuhan. So the Chinese must have one.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If hockey ever does get going again, I sure hope this delay in getting every post to register will be fixed. Posting while following along during a game will be a nightmare if this is still the norm.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

The autotune mixes have arrived, and not a moment too soon. The values of capitalism and technological civilization are being questioned right now, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

:laugh: Shouldn't have been surprised you post here but somehow I was. Good to hear you're doing better.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
God, remind me to stay out of the Covid threads on the main forum for it. Those people are f***ing crazy.
I’ve always preferred the social distance of a few feet, because most people are (as you suggest) “f***ing crazy”. People are pigs too. Hell, pigs have better hygiene.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
God, remind me to stay out of the Covid threads on the main forum for it. Those people are f***ing crazy.

it is so interesting to see the difference between Canadians and American on that form and in general regarding this.

Granted our government has done a lot more for the people to keep things calm but this self righteousness about my rights and I can do what I want compared to Canadians who are much more like “ damn this sucks but if we can save that strangers life I’ll stay inside”

I’m pretty sure we have been on shutdownish stance for as long if not longer than them but we aren’t seeing the level of angst and anger against the government that is close to what they have down there.

Reactions: MikeK

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
To me, the truly terrifying part is seeing how many people are still willing to just unconditionally swallow anything you-know-who says, even if it totally contradicts what he said or tweeted five minutes ago. I mean, ffs, there's a pandemic on and lives literally hang in the balance but no, let's all start gaslighting, scapegoating, and pretending that you-know-who actually took Covid seriously to start with. Yeah, that's the thing to do.

So grateful to be Canadian right now. Holy shit.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
To me, the truly terrifying part is seeing how many people are still willing to just unconditionally swallow anything you-know-who says, even if it totally contradicts what he said or tweeted five minutes ago. I mean, ffs, there's a pandemic on and lives literally hang in the balance but no, let's all start gaslighting, scapegoating, and pretending that you-know-who actually took Covid seriously to start with. Yeah, that's the thing to do.

So grateful to be Canadian right now. Holy shit.

disagree with you a lot, but hell yes, exactly.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Here in Australia we are nailing this. Police showed up at my neighbours place a few days ago. She is a nutcase running an airbnb on the water. Four neighbours dobbed her in. The fine for still running an airbnb is $11k. Everyone is doing their part in social distancing. Our stats are like Hong Kong and South Korea. We have 6000 cases putting us about 30th in the world. A month ago we were the same as Canada at around 13th. I understand BC is doing really well, and it is problems in Quebec that are running Canada's numbers up. Let's keep our Canucks fans intact.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Here in Australia we are nailing this. Police showed up at my neighbours place a few days ago. She is a nutcase running an airbnb on the water. Four neighbours dobbed her in. The fine for still running an airbnb is $11k. Everyone is doing their part in social distancing. Our stats are like Hong Kong and South Korea. We have 6000 cases putting us about 30th in the world. A month ago we were the same as Canada at around 13th. I understand BC is doing really well, and it is problems in Quebec that are running Canada's numbers up. Let's keep our Canucks fans intact.
Very good news! I have cousin and uncle there and they have been stressed out by the fires and now this. You guys need a break I think!

I still think here in Canada, we are precariously on the verge of overconfidence, especially in BC. Quebec and Ontario are in a warzone, and we are frolicking around in parks and pretending we will escape this. This virus shows no feeling or mercy, it will turn on a dime and we could be in the same state as Ontario in a matter of days or weeks. They are already talking about opening things back up again, and not blocking any incoming travelers from out-of-province. Sigh!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see health experts in the UK and some governors in the U.S. are saying that without a vaccine, pro sporting events with mass people gathering in one venue, are likely 'off the table' until next spring.

Appearing more and more obvious all the time, that if leagues like the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL do return, they'll have to play their games in empty stadiums and arenas. I suppose they'd still garner revenues from television and live -streaming of the games.

But for gate-driven leagues like the NHL, you wonder if it's possible for teams to go a full season and half, playing neutral site games and getting zero revenues from ticket sales, concessions, parking and merchandise sales. My guess is the league might have to actually shrink if that happens.

A dire prediction to be sure, but just praying that I'm wrong.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Here in BC we recently increased testing by 50-100% and despite this we are seeing the number of new cases go down. Only 14 new cases in BC today. Most of the 77 deaths we've had so far in total are from care homes for the elderly.

How much flatter can our curve get? At what point do we start to open back up?

People are going to get restless as we are being tortured by gorgeous weather during this lockdown. I've noticed a huge increase in street traffic in the last 7 days. I work for an essential business so I'm still out and about and driving all over the city several times a day - From about March 17th to about April 8th the streets were almost completely dead all day and all night, barely any cars. Last week I'd say it's way back up to at least 50-75% of normal traffic excluding rush hour/school traffic. Lots of people are going out now because they can see the news and the statistics and probably feel the risk is lower than they felt a week or two ago. Plus Dr. Bonnie Henry is telling people to go outside for exercise and enjoy the sunshine so as long as social distancing is in effect this shouldn't be a problem but it's pretty interesting to me how fast everyone decided it was okay to leave the house again before any of the restrictions are officially eased.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Here in BC we recently increased testing by 50-100% and despite this we are seeing the number of new cases go down. Only 14 new cases in BC today. Most of the 77 deaths we've had so far in total are from care homes for the elderly.

How much flatter can our curve get? At what point do we start to open back up?

People are going to get restless as we are being tortured by gorgeous weather during this lockdown. I've noticed a huge increase in street traffic in the last 7 days. I work for an essential business so I'm still out and about and driving all over the city several times a day - From about March 17th to about April 8th the streets were almost completely dead all day and all night, barely any cars. Last week I'd say it's way back up to at least 50-75% of normal traffic excluding rush hour/school traffic. Lots of people are going out now because they can see the news and the statistics and probably feel the risk is lower than they felt a week or two ago. Plus Dr. Bonnie Henry is telling people to go outside for exercise and enjoy the sunshine so as long as social distancing is in effect this shouldn't be a problem but it's pretty interesting to me how fast everyone decided it was okay to leave the house again before any of the restrictions are officially eased.

I’ve heard from a trusted source who’s been right about a few things but the plan for bc is 21 days after we have 4-5 days of no positive tests that we will start opening back up.

however social distancing and all will be in effect until a vaccine is available.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I see health experts in the UK and some governors in the U.S. are saying that without a vaccine, pro sporting events with mass people gathering in one venue, are likely 'off the table' until next spring.

Appearing more and more obvious all the time, that if leagues like the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL do return, they'll have to play their games in empty stadiums and arenas. I suppose they'd still garner revenues from television and live -streaming of the games.

But for gate-driven leagues like the NHL, you wonder if it's possible for teams to go a full season and half, playing neutral site games and getting zero revenues from ticket sales, concessions, parking and merchandise sales. My guess is the league might have to actually shrink if that happens.

A dire prediction to be sure, but just praying that I'm wrong.

The thing I’d wonder about for the nhl even is who woudl go into an arena in September or even the early spring.

there is no chance I’ll be going into an arena without an almost cure or vaccine.

may this point I wouldn’t even consider renewing my season tickets

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I’ve heard from a trusted source who’s been right about a few things but the plan for bc is 21 days after we have 4-5 days of no positive tests that we will start opening back up.

That will depend entirely on test volume and criteria. If we are as rigorous as possible there’s no possible way that we’ll be opening back up this calendar year if we test most people because of how long community transmission has been going on.

however social distancing and all will be in effect until a vaccine is available.

I don’t understand the tunnel visioning for a vaccine. An effective drug treatment would be good enough wouldn’t it?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
The thing is, this is such an unprecedented situation. So much needs to be learned about this virus , especially if people can re contract it, or how long immunity can last.

sports wise. I think we see seasons start next year with no fans, and gradually move to half full stadiums. IE: you can buy two seats together if you’re with someone. But there would be two empty seats separating the next people. Social distancing applied for buying food and beer at games. Ideally you would allow odd numbered sections buying food at the first intermission etc. Or re deploy arena staff to deliver all food to fans. There’s so many logistical things to think about it’s nuts.

How can certain teams survive this? The nhl is more Gate driven than any league.

The NFL could survive with zero fans at any games for years and only tv.

the nhl needs to get creative with tv. Put cameras in every possible area of the rink. Live feeds on players heads and refs, VR Cameras in the seats you can access to feel like you’re there then charge for it. There’s opportunity to innovate and experiment like never before

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
That will depend entirely on test volume and criteria. If we are as rigorous as possible there’s no possible way that we’ll be opening back up this calendar year if we test most people because of how long community transmission has been going on.

I don’t understand the tunnel visioning for a vaccine. An effective drug treatment would be good enough wouldn’t it?

Yes it would. As would having a viable place on Mars to live. Understand, neither is in the plans for the near future. We are in a pandemic, the first real serious one in 100 years. We could have a drug treatment in a few weeks, but smart money is on a vaccine in less than a year. 145K deaths so far. A year from now that number will be in the 10's of millions. Go to worldometer.info coronavirus and look at the graphs. People are impatient and wanting a break from this. Not going to happen. Yes, maybe someone will find something to ameliate the symptoms, but we are probably looking at 2 years of this shit.

Good news ... my brother is out of quarantine. His symptoms were mild. Probably covid 19, but he was not tested. He took possession of his new place yesterday. Great time to be moving ... what a pain in the ass.

Golfed at Sandpiper yesterday with a good friend. He's the one who buys my Canuck tickets. Great weather, good company and horrible golf on a very nice course. Magical. We stayed away from each other of course. It is nice to be able to see friends in times like these. I had to hit his wife over the head with a 3 iron a few times to remind her not to get too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad