The COVID 19 Thread (Part II - READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
That will depend entirely on test volume and criteria. If we are as rigorous as possible there’s no possible way that we’ll be opening back up this calendar year if we test most people because of how long community transmission has been going on.

I don’t understand the tunnel visioning for a vaccine. An effective drug treatment would be good enough wouldn’t it?

if very successful treatments come a long , I see sports resuming with limited fans in 2021. Guess it all depends on every cities situation as well. Revenue sharing is going to be an issue. Quite honestly I see multiple teams folding in the nhl. Florida , Arizona , Carolina possibly

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
if very successful treatments come a long , I see sports resuming with limited fans in 2021. Guess it all depends on every cities situation as well. Revenue sharing is going to be an issue. Quite honestly I see multiple teams folding in the nhl. Florida , Arizona , Carolina possibly

When we finally get out of this...revenue WILL be at the forefront.

Bettman been cooking the books for years :sarcasm:

It's going to be interesting me thinks.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I’ve heard from a trusted source who’s been right about a few things but the plan for bc is 21 days after we have 4-5 days of no positive tests that we will start opening back up.

however social distancing and all will be in effect until a vaccine is available.

damn. its gonna last throughout summer then..

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I don’t know why anyone even wants to rush back to anything. This virus isn’t a joke. It’s mowing people down. And they don’t come back.
not that anyone wants to rush anything but do you think people will acutally like to stay inside for that long? yah go outside a bit in your neighborhood depending on the weather to excercise.. some people can't really stay inside that long ya know.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
not that anyone wants to rush anything but do you think people will acutally like to stay inside for that long? yah go outside a bit in your neighborhood depending on the weather to excercise.. some people can't really stay inside that long ya know.
Stay inside.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
yeah i do stay inside. but go out for walks/runs around neighborhood to get fresh air and come back in anyways
Good man. Me too. It’s not about us as individuals. It’s about keeping our loved ones safe. If I do something selfish and pick up the virus, then give it to a loved one and they die? I’m gonna f***ing kill myself.

Reactions: David71

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I have not heard of one confirmed case in Chilliwack yet. Golf and walking, don't get within 10 feet of anyone. We are older, and my wife has asthma. However, until they get a vaccine, this is going to be going on for 2 years. Like spanish flu, probably get 3 waves of it. Its going to kill a lot of people, and its going to suck.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I have not heard of one confirmed case in Chilliwack yet. Golf and walking, don't get within 10 feet of anyone. We are older, and my wife has asthma. However, until they get a vaccine, this is going to be going on for 2 years. Like spanish flu, probably get 3 waves of it. Its going to kill a lot of people, and its going to suck.
Doesn't help it when a number of States are likely to "re-open for business" way too soon (and that's WITHOUT the urging of the grifter in DC). Like Texas.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I'm sure it's here, I feel like I recall hearing about cases at CGH, but nobody seems to know anyone who has it or is personally connected to someone who does. Maybe anyone from Chilliwack who has it, is moved to Abbotsford regional hospital where they might be better equipped to handle it?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
damn. its gonna last throughout summer then..

I think they are internally aiming for the end of may early June to give kids one or two weeks back in school.

personally I think they should just forget this school year and aim for September but I cant imagine how hard it has been for parents suddenly at home with kids; trying to teach them and work full time.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
93797109_1375196932667200_2219853722383548416_o.jpg

Sorry tripod I didn’t know how to link to your post any other way

but this is good - great news

Reactions: Tripod and Grantham

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t understand the tunnel visioning for a vaccine. An effective drug treatment would be good enough wouldn’t it?

In a word, no. A vaccine confers immunity. Enough people get it, and you have herd immunity. A treatment for any viral infection, is a prophylactic. Think PrEP for HIV. It would have to be taken regularly to maintain efficacy.

There have been a lot of different ideas out there for what a treatment would be - CarT cell treatment, small molecule inhibitors for Covd-19 proteases, ACE inhibitors that block viral docking, antibody infusions.

All of these things are at minimum half a year away because you need to go through clinical trials. And any treatment would then have to be scaled up to be a widely available - add another 4 months easy.

One interesting idea that's out there is to perform a challenge trial rather than a traditional phase 3. This would speed things up, especially for vaccine development. But it's risky. It basically uses young, healthy people that represent a cross section of society to be treated with the most promising vaccine candidate and then they would be innoculated with live Covid-19. Such a trial could be performed soon, given the candidates out there now.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Australia here again. There are a large number of clinical trials going on here. This is the Hail Mary solution. Well, slightly better than that. There are two promising drugs. 1) An Antiviral called Remdesivir and 2) An Immune modulator called Interferon β, (which, if I remember correctly) showed promise for AIDS before they came up with the cocktail approach. If we find a drug that is effective as a treatment, we may be able to loosen the social distancing. Our largest trial started at the beginning of April in 50 hospitials. We should see some results by the end of the month they are saying.

Reactions: I am toxic

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
In a word, no. A vaccine confers immunity. Enough people get it, and you have herd immunity. A treatment for any viral infection, is a prophylactic. Think PrEP for HIV. It would have to be taken regularly to maintain efficacy.

There have been a lot of different ideas out there for what a treatment would be - CarT cell treatment, small molecule inhibitors for Covd-19 proteases, ACE inhibitors that block viral docking, antibody infusions.

All of these things are at minimum half a year away because you need to go through clinical trials. And any treatment would then have to be scaled up to be a widely available - add another 4 months easy.

One interesting idea that's out there is to perform a challenge trial rather than a traditional phase 3. This would speed things up, especially for vaccine development. But it's risky. It basically uses young, healthy people that represent a cross section of society to be treated with the most promising vaccine candidate and then they would be innoculated with live Covid-19. Such a trial could be performed soon, given the candidates out there now.
Even WITH a working vaccine; you'll get a still sizeable amount of the population that will refuse to take it (anti-vaxxers).

592e6a03-9e02-4d79-9ee6-b37cc9d4ecc1.jpg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don’t know why anyone even wants to rush back to anything. This virus isn’t a joke. It’s mowing people down. And they don’t come back.
Because the fall out of the economy will probably end up killing and ruining just as many peoples lives.

Can’t stay inside forever. Have to send people back to work at some point.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Because the economy won’t be massively impacted either way? Like it’s not a one or the other choice.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Because the economy won’t be massively impacted either way? Like it’s not a one or the other choice.
Well obviously, that’s already happening as it is. The move would’ve been to shut everything down a month ago for two weeks and this would’ve passed but clearly that is too logical.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Well obviously, that’s already happening as it is. The move would’ve been to shut everything down a month ago for two weeks and this would’ve passed but clearly that is too logical.

I mean, a month ago you were saying that you were more scared of government control over peoples' lives and movement than you were of the virus, so I don't know how you think that people would have been compliant enough with a lockdown order at that point to actually stop the spread.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Everyone should take a look at the modelling that BC released on Friday.

here's my first impression:

iirc, the modeling suggests we have flattened the curve by reducing social contact to 30% of normal (assisted by google info on movements). The modelling further suggests we could go as high as 60% of normal contact and still keep the curve flat (and lower than it is now).

But at 80% of normal contact, the curve takes off again.

So what does that mean? Well, consider this. 30% is what we have been doing the past few weeks. Look at Sweden, where google data from about April 3rd was showing iirc transit usage at 65ish% of normal, restaurant/retail at 75ish% and workplace at 82%. They've kept their schools open for kids up to a certain age, about 15 iirc. For a population twice the size, they are facing 50 to 100 deaths daily, and appear to have a thousand in serious or critical condition (hard to tell, number on worldometer has been fluctuating bizarrely lately, presumably due to reporting lags). BC has less than 100 total deaths to date, and about 130 in hospital.

The problem is that the difference between 60% and 80% is massive per the modeling, so we will have to err on the side of caution. Outdoor activities could open up with social distancing measures maintained. Schools likely remain closed, same with restaurant dining. More retail could open up with the kind of measures we currently experience at places like Costco or Safeway etc. But sales will be down so retail will be somewhat limited. Sports, like school and restaurant dining, likely remains closed. Well, except for golfing.

Non-essential international travel will likely remain closed (and not really in our hands anyway). Travel within BC will be even more contentious than it already is. No idea what the modeling shows, epidemiologists always seem to think travel restrictions aren't effective, while real world experience shows time and again that they are.

Oh, and wear a mask when you go out. Make your own, use a scarf, whatever. 2 meters, wash hands to the baby shark song, don't touch face, and wear a mask.

Reactions: Grantham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad