The COVID 19 Thread (Part II - READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As we all navigate these waters together, it is important to remember our board's rules - critically, with respect to Politics.

4) Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

I realize this is easier said than done as much of our news and information is coming from political sources these days, but other than sharing news it is important that any semblance of political discussion stops there. Posts delving into politics (Canada's, USA's or otherwise) will be removed from the discussion, and chronic offenders in discussing politics will be removed from the discussion as well. This is not up for negotiation or discussion. The Site Rules are there to be complied with.

Thank you.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Heard on the radio (1040) the NBA is considering putting their teams into a couple cities, and having them play their games there. If the NHL went this route, which cities would the league choose?
Toronto and Vancouver?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Heard on the radio (1040) the NBA is considering putting their teams into a couple cities, and having them play their games there. If the NHL went this route, which cities would the league choose?
Toronto and Vancouver?

Watching wrestling; you don’t realize how much the crowd impacts the event.

idk how into it I would be without the crowds there and I for sure wouldn’t be going to any game

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Toronto and Vancouver?
I doubt the NHL would go this route. They get the bulk of the revenue from the gate unlike the "big leagues".

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Toronto and Vancouver?

At this moment? Definitely not Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto where there are strict social/physical distancing measures in place.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At this moment? Definitely not Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto where there are strict social/physical distancing measures in place.
I was thinking one west coast and one east coast. LA instead of Van?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The NBA is also mostly made up of American born players. The NHL allowed all of the European players to return back to Europe. Flights between Europe and North America would have to open up again before the NHL could resume play.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The price of oil has dipped below 20 dollars a barrel. Demand is low due to the crisis...

Western Canada Select (benchmark price for Alberta crude) is just over $6 CAD per barrel.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
hope all are well here.

i wish everyone could park their politics right now so we could get good info and focus on what is important without two sets of idiots distorting and distracting everything for their pointless reasons. there is a place in hell for people drowning out intelligent conversation right now with political idiocy.

as for the nhl playing to empty arenas, i am in. think of the ratings. it maybe should not be in a city though. fly the athletes to an empty resort town with rinks and some nice accommodation. put everyone through a 14 day isolation and a seven day camp. play for the cup with a five game series until the final.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
hope all are well here.

i wish everyone could park their politics right now so we could get good info and focus on what is important without two sets of idiots distorting and distracting everything for their pointless reasons. there is a place in hell for people drowning out intelligent conversation right now with political idiocy.

as for the nhl playing to empty arenas, i am in. think of the ratings. it maybe should not be in a city though. fly the athletes to an empty resort town with rinks and some nice accommodation. put everyone through a 14 day isolation and a seven day camp. play for the cup with a five game series until the final.

Sadly but surely, right now it’s all about politics and what Canada and the rest of the world are doing to combat this.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Suddenly Alberta is gonna find out what the rest of the country does for them

Oil right now has hit rock bottom as demand for it has stalled. Alberta who’s stuck in the damn 1960’s still relies on oil as the end all to be all. They refuse to diversify their economy.

Just a couple of days ago, the province laid of 25,000 teachers and substitute teachers in a damn pandemic.

That’s not right.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Oil right now has hit rock bottom as demand for it has stalled. Alberta who’s stuck in the damn 1960’s still relies on oil as the end all to be all. They refuse to diversify their economy.

Just a couple of days ago, the province laid of 25,000 teachers and substitute teachers in a damn pandemic.

That’s not right.

Yup they are so stuck in the 60s it’s stupid. Diversify and oh yea tax your own damn people. Use the pst/gst model to get revenues to pay for these essential services.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
hope all are well here.

I see that the NBA has floated the idea of having all the playoff teams congregate in a select area of the U.S.--sort of like a super March Madness NCAA tournament. They'd play until they have a champion.. They'd probably have to play the games in empty arenas, but considering the combination of team reps; media people and arena staff would still exceed the 50-person limit for public gatherings, it's hard to see how this would work. But seems to me that 60-70 people rattling around an empty 18,000 seat arena could practice enough social distancing to make it work somehow.

The NHL might have to consider something similar, deciding on which 16 teams make the playoffs and playing some sort of super Stanley Cup tournament.

It's obviously not ideal, but the alternative of simply not crowning a Stanley Cup and just abandoning the entire season, somehow seams worse.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Toronto and Vancouver?
I'd vote for Yukon and Nunavut. Somewhere nice and COVID free. Maybe do it outdoors, since you won't have crowds the cameras could be really close. It could be cool as hell.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I’d rather the NHL focus on finishing the season in some fashion before thinking of a hodgepodge playoffs.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Could you imagine a deciding game in the SCF played with zero fans in attendance? That just doesn't sit well with me. I mean, I would love for the Canucks to win any Stanley Cup, but it wouldn't be the same if there was no atmosphere and it was a mini tournament in just one city. It would also mean that we as fans couldn't get together to watch it or celebrate it. That would have to be the worst way to win a cup...which seems about right for the Canucks to finally do it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yup they are so stuck in the 60s it’s stupid. Diversify and oh yea tax your own damn people. Use the pst/gst model to get revenues to pay for these essential services.

Never understood the Alberta hype, 15 years ago it was the hot new shining toy cause Oil was hot around 130-140 dollars a barrel and these companies were hiring everyone to work there cause $$$$ talks.

After living there for 4 years, I knew once I finished school there I wanted out...the mentality of ‘well the way I see it...’ schtick got real tired real fast. Haven’t looked back really, it’s like a fart in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad