TV: The Conners

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know what the context of any of this is, but personally, when I saw the Hitler Ginger Bread Cookies picture, it definitely struck me more as a joke built around subversion and making light of an atrocity than anything reprehensible or mean-spirited, personally.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How to lose a show in one tweet.

Here is the thing. It either makes sense or is a tin foil hat moment.

They acted very quickly to the point that they have had press releases ready knowing she would do something like this. They just had to change some words

One media outlet suggested that one reason it happened so quickly was because ABC is run by an African American woman and that is why the kill switch was turned on

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Seems kind of like an overreaction to me. Roseanne has always kind of been a shock comedian. I actually started to like the show too, Dan is the best. It's too bad honestly, but I am not sure i'll actually "miss" it like Ash vs Evil Dead.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't know what the context of any of this is, but personally, when I saw the Hitler Ginger Bread Cookies picture, it definitely struck me more as a joke built around subversion and making light of an atrocity than anything reprehensible or mean-spirited, personally.

If it was an isolated incident I'd be willing to brush it off, but it's certainly not the case. Her rap sheet is considerable. You (rightfully) don't get the benefit of the doubt in those cases, even if it's the singular incident where you truly just went for a harmless joke.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It goes without being said that her comments were horrible, ridiculous, and indefensible. It's also not shocking because she has made it a point to rub it everyone's face that she is a proud bigot.

That being said, here is what I don't get. How could she be so delusional to believe that people would just see her comments as a joke and that there would be no consequences, let alone huge ones. I am guessing she isn't hurting for money, but this is a women who hasn't exactly had steady work since her show was cancelled in the late 90's. The reboot came along at a perfect time when nostalgia is big, and people are desperate to have 30 minute american sitcoms again. She completely flushed it all down the toilet. Not only that, how could she be so selfish. A lot of people who were going to have steady work for a few years most likely are now out of jobs and the chance to earn income.

It just baffles me how completely ignorant some people can be. I guess her initial response to the push back by saying that people needed to lighten up it was just a joke should bring a fair amount of clarity to the situation and what type of person this. This is exactly the type of person who got the current President elected and sadly there are so many of them these days.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
How could she be so delusional to believe that people would just see her comments as a joke and that there would be no consequences, let alone huge ones.

Probably has something to do with how there were no consequences the other 800 times she did it.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I have a suggestion for ABC to replace Roseanne: bring back the 2015 version of The Odd Couple for a 4th season. CBS has never treated the property with the respect it deserves, dating back to its cutting of copyrighted music from DVD releases of the original version. Time for The Odd Couple to come back home.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
She is probably an alcoholic and just thought it would be funny. Her marriage to Tom Arnold was fueled by addiction. I don't think she actually meant harm by it. It is still not ok though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This strikes me as hubris on her part. She probably thought she was untouchable with a hit show but miscalculated the blowback.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Sean Hannity of all people has commented on this saying that ABC cancelling/firing Roseanne was completely justified. Just think about that for a second.

CMT, TV Land, Paramount Network, and Hulu have pulled reruns of Roseanne effective immediately. Her agent has also issued a statement saying that their agency will no longer represent her. Writers and cast mates of the show have come out to speak against Roseanne. She is done and has nobody to blame for this but herself.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Seems kind of like an overreaction to me. Roseanne has always kind of been a shock comedian. I actually started to like the show too, Dan is the best. It's too bad honestly, but I am not sure i'll actually "miss" it like Ash vs Evil Dead.
I like how people try to normalize racist rhetoric by passing it off as an edgy joke.

Being a racist and a comedian aren't mutually exclusive things either.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sean Hannity of all people has commented on this saying that ABC cancelling/firing Roseanne was completely justified. Just think about that for a second.

CMT, TV Land, Paramount Network, and Hulu have pulled reruns of Roseanne effective immediately. Her agent has also issued a statement saying that their agency will no longer represent her. Writers and cast mates of the show have come out to speak against Roseanne. She is done and has nobody to blame for this but herself.

Sean Hannity backing the sacking of someone who is conservative. Fox news has more or less been consistent on agreeing that her comments where clearly racists. You know you are in the wrong when fox news tossed you under the bus

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad