The Call

Supertack

Nov 19, 2013
Mundelein
Blues fan here.

You guys got SCREWED. I am talking MONTREAL SCREWJOB screwed or NFC Championship game from this year SCREWJOB.

Refs and Bettman should be ASHAMED of themselves. TOTAL JOKE.
giphy.gif

That's the best replay I've seen. From initial views, it didn't look like his stick came up enough to get him in the face. Almost looks like he coulda got cut from the stick of his own player, or when his head hit the ice.

That aside, Eakin probably shoulda dialed it back with the stick right in front of the ref in the 3rd period of a game 7 with a 3 goal lead.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
That was the worst call ever in the history of all sports combined.

The Saints vs Rams playoff game comes to mind on a blown no call as well as Ohio State getting a very late whistle on a BS pass interference call against Miami that cost them the national title as bigger blown calls. Some ump in the 85 World Series handed the Royals the title as well.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Vegas got hosed so bad on that call. What a demoralizer and and embarrassing showing for the league's officials.

Somehow I doubt the NHL will release any kind of statement either justifying or apologizing for what happened.

What a bad break.

Reactions: mundyc3

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
People questioning Gallant's statement about losing in the Stanley Cup Final vs. losing on that call. Last year we were just happy to be there and lost to a better team. This time around, we dominate 5 of 7 games and lose because a total blown call leading to one of the largest momentum shifts in history.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Team Boyle first, then Bolts and then VGK (VGK Podium is my Twitter account circa: July 2017) so I am a fan of the team and yet, I come here as an somewhat objective observer of last night's game

The ref should be insta-fired, never allowed to ref another game, not allowed on any line for any league unless beer league, and even then I would not trust his decision making. I saw it live, I've rewatched clips of it... ref made the worst call I have seen in the NHL (the Rams debacle this year was equally atrocious).

The NHL should be required to instantly put into place a review system for any 5-min major penalty for the rest of the playoffs. If that was a 2-min penalty, they score 1, VGK likely wins.

For those that think it was just the 4 goals - no, that's not the issue really - it's the fact that with a major, it's a power play for the full 5 mins no matter how often the other team scores. And that, to me, last night, was b.s.

I'm sorry for the Knight fans. My heart breaks for Flower... You as a team and fan base deserved better than what you received from the stripy blind mice wearing skates.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
That was a horrific call, it was a 2 minute minor at most. A 5 minute major and game misconduct WTF!? It led to one of the biggest momentum swings in NHL playoff history. Allowing 4 goals in 5 minutes is inexcusable though, Vegas became a nervous wreck, Gallant should have taken a timeout and settled things down.

Reactions: mundyc3

Jim ODonnell

Dec 20, 2018
Hell even if we imagine we're in lala land and Eakin did cross check him in the head, Pavelski is wearing a full shield. How does that result in him bleeding from the back of his head.

EXACTLY
EXACTLY
EXACTLY right.

He fell and hit his head, from a stick challenge that is sometimes called as a crosschecking minor, and other times not called at all. He wasn't boarded, he wasn't hit from behind, he wasn't slew footed . . . he was injured from accident, not from intent . . . a terrible call and a terribly unfair outcome.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That was a bad call, but it was the response to the call that determined the game. One team rose to the occasion; one didn't. Follow it up with a great year next year.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That was a bad call, but it was the response to the call that determined the game. One team rose to the occasion; one didn't. Follow it up with a great year next year.
There literally shouldn’t have been an occasion to rise to. So, while I’ll agree that the Knights ate shit on the PK, there shouldn’t have been a five minute PK. Two minutes, maybe. Which still would have ended 8 seconds in or whatever it was.

So, while I get your point and agree. It shouldn’t even be a point because it shouldn’t have happened. There is almost nobody that doesn’t agree with that.

It happened, it sucked. We got screwed.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I don't think this is a good framing. One team rose to the occasion of getting the ice shifted in their direction while the other didn't rise to the occasion of having to beat the team and a terrible penalty? It isn't the same thing the teams are responding to and rising up to beat.

Vegas was the only team who had to rise up to beat something unjust, the Sharks had to come back in a game they were justly losing with a giant and unwarranted help from the outside.

Could Vegas have done better on that penalty kill? Absolutely no arguments with that but the call was the biggest factor in determining the game because everything after was predicated on it.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Here is the one thing. Statsny technically interfered with Pavelski. Pavelski got hurt. Interference + Injury is an automatic major. It still would have been an extremely soft call, but technically by the rules. Still would be pissed beyond belief.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I am still fuming about that call and I am not even a Vegas fan. I am boycotting watching the Ref Jose series until they lose and if my Blues were still not in it, I would not watch a single minute more of the playoffs this year.

JOKE CALL.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Here is the one thing. Statsny technically interfered with Pavelski. Pavelski got hurt. Interference + Injury is an automatic major. It still would have been an extremely soft call, but technically by the rules. Still would be pissed beyond belief.
If we’re calling that interference we’ve got much larger issues in hockey.

Reactions: ryerockarola

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
In a 3-0 game. I see Statsny getting two there easily. It being 5 would still be awful.
If Pavelski falls on his shoulder, nobody ever even notices that play, let alone makes a call.

I know that because neither of the referees made a call until Pavelski didn’t fall on his shoulder and started leaking from his helmet.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If Pavelski falls on his shoulder, nobody ever even notices that play, let alone makes a call.

I know that because neither of the referees made a call until Pavelski didn’t fall on his shoulder and started leaking from his helmet.

I agree. I wish Foley was like Cuban. He would have torn the league a new asshole and still be at it. Fines be damned,

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I agree. I wish Foley was like Cuban. He would have torn the league a new ******* and still be at it. Fines be damned,
Meh. It’s fine. It’s not about what’s right, it’s about what plays in the public.

What plays in the public is that the Knights shouldn’t have let in four goals in a five minute major. And that’s right.

The fact that the five minute major that didn’t actually happen and took out one of our best PK guys SHOULDN’T HAVE f***ING HAPPENED AT ALL doesn’t play as well. Especially since there’s a little bit of latent jealousy over the success the Knights have had so early and the whole Vegas thing people have in general.

It’s PR. Staying quiet is a good move because speaking out seems like sour grapes and you’re (meaning the Knights) not well liked anyway.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I mean whats really annoying is people not grasping how time works. Event A (Bullshit major) Happened before Event B (PK shitting the bed) Without Event A, Event B does not happen. Hell I was reading a comment that it's Vegas fault because they weren't doing enough to win in the game before that point. 3-0 with a good chance of the game ending that way, if it doesn't happen. and being 3-1, with a minor and maybe 3-2 if they call one on Stastny.

If they haven't recinded the game misconduct which if I read correctly carries an automatic $100 fine, I hope to hell Eakin does everything to get it recinded on principle.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The officials probably got promoted after the game. Just the way it is with this league and promotion of incompetence.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Meh. It’s fine. It’s not about what’s right, it’s about what plays in the public.

What plays in the public is that the Knights shouldn’t have let in four goals in a five minute major. And that’s right.

The fact that the five minute major that didn’t actually happen and took out one of our best PK guys SHOULDN’T HAVE ****ING HAPPENED AT ALL doesn’t play as well. Especially since there’s a little bit of latent jealousy over the success the Knights have had so early and the whole Vegas thing people have in general.

It’s PR. Staying quiet is a good move because speaking out seems like sour grapes and you’re (meaning the Knights) not well liked anyway.

The Cowboys aren't well liked. And they are liked a lot. Winning/ success or having a big passionate fanbase will get you unliked in sports. I think Foley saying something when most agree we got an unjust decision wouldn't move much. Not saying I think he should do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad