The Call

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Still shocked by that call, the worst I've ever seen. Fact is if San Jose doesn't get that "all you can eat" power play they don't win the game, Vegas played a perfect game up until that point. I hope the Sharks get smoked next round, but even then who really gives a ****. Appalling call.

Oh I'd be really pleased with the Sharks getting smoked. It won't make it right, but it may serve to reinforce my belief that things equal out in this game. I get that Sharks fans have suffered for a long time. I can completely understand that. But this is not the way to get their win. Their moment of glory will always live under a shadow. For their own sake, they should get bounced ASAP.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I believe you are right. Is she a unicorn or are there others?
There are a few others, that come out to the mains, There's probably some who don't venture from the sharks board, lets face it, it's pretty toxic out there. Their mods are pretty decent too.... or maybe it's because we have to be :eek::laugh:

Reactions: ChanceVegas

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Sharks fan: Give me examples of properly called major cross checks.

Me: Posts 4 videos of exactly that. Offers to show him as many as he wants.

Sharks fan: Completely ignores said post. "I've waited a day for such and such examples of a proper major cross check call".

The main boards are literally driving me insane. I think I've encountered maybe 4-5 level headed Sharks fans that have admitted they caught a break and just happy their team took advantage. The rest are varying levels of spin and denial at every turn. Facts and reality be damned.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Sharks fan: Give me examples of properly called major cross checks.

Me: Posts 4 videos of exactly that. Offers to show him as many as he wants.

Sharks fan: Completely ignores said post. "I've waited a day for such and such examples of a proper major cross check call".

The main boards are literally driving me insane. I think I've encountered maybe 4-5 level headed Sharks fans that have admitted they caught a break and just happy their team took advantage. The rest are varying levels of spin and denial at every turn. Facts and reality be damned.
Don't forget that Kane is a saint and never goons it up, and Thornton has never done anything wrong because he's a future Hall of Famer. :laugh:

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
The ref called the outcome from a terrible incident. I mean really, to go ahead and look at Pavelski laying on the ice bleeding and decide to call a 5:00 major is wrong, and they got the call wrong anyway, crosschecking.

But, with that being said, Pavelski was laying on the ice, bleeding from his skull. He didn't simply fall down after a cross check, which is how most people see it. He stumbled after that cross-check, Statsny skated into a stumbling player, who was losing his balance, stuck his knee behind Pavelski's thigh, then wrapped his arm around his shoulder and pulled him backwards and down with force... Again, Pavelski was bleeding from his skull... That doesn't just happen by a fall when and NHL calibre player stumbles and falls.

You can see the point where Pavelski is completely defenseless and Statsny is trying desperately to get to the point, crossed the line and threw Pavelski out of his way.

Someone got hurt, and there was probably no intent to injure on the part of Statsny, but there is clearly a reckless carelessness for someone's health too.

Just my opinion but I think Statsny had the power to push Pavelski the opposite way, or bump him the other direction that wouldn't have resulted in a injury.

I think Statsny's actions are worry of 5:00 major, but that wasn't even the call.

Not only that, the Knights still have the game in control if they don't completely melt down on that PK. Flower needed to make a few more saves, was total Swiss cheese. The same thing happened to him a few seasons ago, seems like if he makes a wrong read, he second guesses himself and the whole thing falls apart for him

Reactions: Phu

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe Lady Stanley is one of those level headed Sharks fans on here.

Thank you

I believe you are right. Is she a unicorn or are there others?

Most Sharks fans just hang around that forum. The main boards can drive one crazy.

There are a few others, that come out to the mains, There's probably some who don't venture from the sharks board, lets face it, it's pretty toxic out there. Their mods are pretty decent too.... or maybe it's because we have to be :eek::laugh:

When I was a mod, I never volunteered for main board nor playoff board moderation duty. :D (IIRC I was [assigned] moderating like 4-5 forums -- BOH, AHL, ECHL/minors, Science, etc. -- before I retired. Had enough on my plate.)

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The amount of conspiracy talk that would be coming out of their mouths would be illuminati levels if the calls were reversed. Hypocrites.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The amount of conspiracy talk that would be coming out of their mouths would be illuminati levels if the calls were reversed. Hypocrites.
There's already some talk from Sharks fans that the NHL never called Foley & GMGM to apologize, they're lying about it all. :laugh:

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

We're still getting the conspiracy talk anyways because of the apology. An apology that they simultaneously also insist didn't happen. :huh:

You can't make this stuff up. :laugh:

Reactions: HanSolo

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
We're still getting the conspiracy talk anyways because of the apology. An apology that they simultaneously also insist didn't happen. :huh:

You can't make this stuff up. :laugh:

I can at least respect the ones that will say it was a bad call and they don't care.

But all the lying and justifications, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There's already some talk from Sharks fans that the NHL never called Foley & GMGM to apologize, they're lying about it all. :laugh:
They're not lying. They're protecting their win.

Sharks fans are a special breed that seem to have a little officiating complaint thread within their DNA over the years so it's a little worse, but let's not pretend we wouldn't be doing something really similar if the roles were reversed.

The fact that we did the whole conference champion thing after year one rubs a lot of people the wrong way, let alone Sharks fans who have the history of their franchise's playoff performances in their minds.

While this call is fresh, it's still new and it's not a perceived trend. A few more of these, even if they're less important, can develop a perceived trend and a mindset I hope we avoid falling into. Let's not turn into one of those fanbases that complains about the refs all the time. Hopefully the team wins a cup or two (or more) and makes it hard to fall into that mindset. Winning division titles, conference titles, and Stanley Cups seems to be inversely proportional to fanbase referee complaints.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Sharks fans are a special breed that seem to have a little officiating complaint thread within their DNA over the years so it's a little worse, but let's not pretend we wouldn't be doing something really similar if the roles were reversed.

The fact that we did the whole conference champion thing after year one rubs a lot of people the wrong way, let alone Sharks fans who have the history of their franchise's playoff performances in their minds.

While this call is fresh, it's still new and it's not a perceived trend. A few more of these, even if they're less important, can develop a perceived trend and a mindset I hope we avoid falling into. Let's not turn into one of those fanbases that complains about the refs all the time. Hopefully the team wins a cup or two (or more) and makes it hard to fall into that mindset. Winning division titles, conference titles, and Stanley Cups seems to be inversely proportional to fanbase referee complaints.
The lying part was a continuation of the sentence(as in that they think Foley, and GMGM are lying), not me saying the fans are lying.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Point still stands, just ignore the first sentence.
Yeah, there'd obviously be people who would defend it no matter what if roles were reversed, I find it extremely silly calling owners and GMs liars, though(and include coaches in that, as there's a difference between speaking from not knowing the truth, blindly believing something, and telling a lie).

I will say my favorite part about having GMGM as our GM is that everybody discards what he has done before Vegas as if he started his career last season. Shipachyov became his first Russian player all of a sudden. :laugh:

E: Also, personally over the call and the series, thanks to this though I'd very much like them to introduce major reviews so things like this doesn't happen again.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, there'd obviously be people who would defend it no matter what if roles were reversed, I find it extremely silly calling owners and GMs liars, though(and include coaches in that, as there's a difference between speaking from not knowing the truth, blindly believing something, and telling a lie).

I will say my favorite part about having GMGM as our GM is that everybody discards what he has done before Vegas as if he started his career last season. Shipachyov became his first Russian player all of a sudden. :laugh:

E: Also, personally over the call and the series, thanks to this though I'd very much like them to introduce major reviews so things like this doesn't happen again.
I hope they don't introduce major penalty reviews. Odds are against us getting impacted again, so let other people deal with it now that it's happened to us.

Keep the game quick, I'm not interested in seeing a major review against our opponents overturned due to review. Especially since I've been told this is part of the game and makes us an official team.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I hope they don't introduce major penalty reviews. Odds are against us getting impacted again, so let other people deal with it now that it's happened to us.

Keep the game quick, I'm not interested in seeing a major review against our opponents overturned due to review. Especially since I've been told this is part of the game and makes us an official team.

As a fan of the game of hockey I don't care if we never have a call like this go against us again. I don't want to see such a horrible call impact ANY game regardless of who is involved. As long as a league has time to review offsides where a player's leg is hovering an inch off the line they can take the time to make sure they get 5 minute penalties and ejections right.

Only for majors though. We don't need review or challenges for minor penalties.

Reactions: sabresfan65

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
As a fan of the game of hockey I don't care if we never have a call like this go against us again. I don't want to see such a horrible call impact ANY game regardless of who is involved. As long as a league has time to review offsides where a player's leg is hovering an inch off the line they can take the time to make sure they get 5 minute penalties and ejections right.

Only for majors though. We don't need review or challenges for minor penalties.
Meh. It's part of being a hockey fan, I've been told.

Honestly, it's likely good policy since majors suck. I really don't care if they do it now, or in relation to this game, though. Odds are against it impacting us again.

I'm not as virtuous as you. I hope fans every team that told us to suck it up has to go through a call like this in a Game 7 (or equally important game in a series) prior to this getting fixed. The 20 teams that don't lose in the final ten minutes of a game the same situation can talk trash. Then we can fix it.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The ref called the outcome from a terrible incident. I mean really, to go ahead and look at Pavelski laying on the ice bleeding and decide to call a 5:00 major is wrong, and they got the call wrong anyway, crosschecking.

But, with that being said, Pavelski was laying on the ice, bleeding from his skull. He didn't simply fall down after a cross check, which is how most people see it. He stumbled after that cross-check, Statsny skated into a stumbling player, who was losing his balance, stuck his knee behind Pavelski's thigh, then wrapped his arm around his shoulder and pulled him backwards and down with force... Again, Pavelski was bleeding from his skull... That doesn't just happen by a fall when and NHL calibre player stumbles and falls.

You can see the point where Pavelski is completely defenseless and Statsny is trying desperately to get to the point, crossed the line and threw Pavelski out of his way.

Someone got hurt, and there was probably no intent to injure on the part of Statsny, but there is clearly a reckless carelessness for someone's health too.

Just my opinion but I think Statsny had the power to push Pavelski the opposite way, or bump him the other direction that wouldn't have resulted in a injury.

I think Statsny's actions are worry of 5:00 major, but that wasn't even the call.

Not only that, the Knights still have the game in control if they don't completely melt down on that PK. Flower needed to make a few more saves, was total Swiss cheese. The same thing happened to him a few seasons ago, seems like if he makes a wrong read, he second guesses himself and the whole thing falls apart for him

Go back to your teams section and take your bias with you. Stastny did not make a beeline to Pavelski. Stastny was trying to get past Pavelski to play the puck and puck carrier and if you look at the reply, Stastny was hit and that funneled him into Pavelski. We all know that you enjoyed the loss and go ahead enjoy it as much as you want, but don't make up things. Stastny was interfered with and that wasn't called. His progress was impeded by a player who isn't making an attempt to play the puck. That is textbook interference. Please don't come back unless you are ready to talk about what really happened.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I think the Sharks were supposed to be the model franchise who did everything the right way and they were supposed to be the team of the decade but they watched the Ducks win a Cup then the Kings win multiple Cups (reverse sweeping them) and relegate them down that pecking order and we come along and do great on the ice and I think they have extreme traumatic stress over that.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Not even going to put up the tweet but the *Sharks tried to roast us about killing a double minor. What a fail by the * team.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Not even going to put up the tweet but the *Sharks tried to roast us about killing a double minor. What a fail by the * team.
Yeah, they needed to wait until a major. And then it would have been

0iCmbyt.png

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
People talk about "slowing down the game" to review major penalties like they happen multiple times per game. They happen once every handful of games and most reviews will be quick and painless since referees for the most part get most of them correct. However, other than a red card in soccer, no other penalty in sport is as punitive as a 5 minute major in hockey is, so I don't think a short review to make sure things happened as the referees thought they did would hurt the flow of the game.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
People talk about "slowing down the game" to review major penalties like they happen multiple times per game. They happen once every handful of games and most reviews will be quick and painless since referees for the most part get most of them correct. However, other than a red card in soccer, no other penalty in sport is as punitive as a 5 minute major in hockey is, so I don't think a short review to make sure things happened as the referees thought they did would hurt the flow of the game.
To add: There were 27 majors(minus fighting) this past regular season, meaning one gets called every 47th game... And multiple of them were called back after the game for being the incorrect call.

Reactions: sabresfan65

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Hope you don't mind a visitor venting - It has been a few days and I still can't think of any pro sports comparable to that call. All the egregious calls mentioned were missed calls. To think that refs in hockey hired for the playoffs believe and have the ability to make something up that they don't see. Nothing in the context of that game explains making it up like that. Just too big a shock to sports fans watching across the country. I see that NBC is ignoring it - doesn't make it better. It does not matter how bad the PK was after either - the damage was done for viewers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad