The Call

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Brutal call. That should've been two minutes at most. When Vegas scored to go up 3-0 I cashed it in figuring they won and having to get up early. I was shocked when someone told me SJ won, stunned.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Not sure if I endorse it or not, but I feel I would be impressed to a degree if VGK's Home Opener Next Year, leading up to the opening face off a loud "Refs you suck" chant rained down from the stands. Even more so if the jackasses who ruined last night where officiating.

Also if our PK could redeem itself, I think 0 PP goals against over the course of the next season and post season would do it. :laugh:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not sure if I endorse it or not, but I feel I would be impressed to a degree if VGK's Home Opener Next Year, leading up to the opening face off a loud "Refs you suck" chant rained down from the stands. Even more so if the jackasses who ruined last night where officiating.

Also if our PK could redeem itself, I think 0 PP goals against over the course of the next season and post season would do it. :laugh:
I never think the ref crowd chant is a good thing. I honestly don’t even really like the goalie “you suck” chant that people try to get going.

We’re in the age of social media, we should be able to get people together to start better chants. f***, 500 people tops is the critical mass to start any chant if they’re far apart. 20 people together can do anything they want.

You suck is lazy.

We need an upgrade in the fan chant department. The whole league does. Long Island was awesome this postseason and the Josh Bailey chant isn’t hard to start since everyone already knows the song.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I never think the ref crowd chant is a good thing. I honestly don’t even really like the goalie “you suck” chant that people try to get going.

We’re in the age of social media, we should be able to get people together to start better chants. ****, 500 people tops is the critical mass to start any chant if they’re far apart. 20 people together can do anything they want.

You suck is lazy.

We need an upgrade in the fan chant department. The whole league does. Long Island was awesome this postseason and the Josh Bailey chant isn’t hard to start since everyone already knows the song.
I think most of the time it’s overused look at you Sharks lol. I guess we could chant “Ma-Jor Pe-nal-ty” after every cross check lol.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Here is the one thing. Statsny technically interfered with Pavelski. Pavelski got hurt. Interference + Injury is an automatic major. It still would have been an extremely soft call, but technically by the rules. Still would be pissed beyond belief.

Which player impeded the other from being able to play the puck while making no attempt to play the puck? It was Pavelski that made no effort to play the puck because he was falling and got in Stastnys way who was trying to make a play on the puck. The rule as written implies that Pavelski would be the one that interfered.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Looked it up.

The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent.

Both Cross-checking and interference are severity of the contact. Neither contact was severe. The contact with the ice was. Cut up that section, throw it in the box for 5 minutes.

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).
59.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).

Reactions: Njob

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Looked it up.

The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent.

Both Cross-checking and interference are severity of the contact. Neither contact was severe. The contact with the ice was. Cut up that section, throw it in the box for 5 minutes.

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).
59.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).
Cool. It'd be interesting to hear your explanation on how Stastny technically interfered with Pavelski.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Cool. It'd be interesting to hear your explanation on how Stastny technically interfered with Pavelski.

He initiates the contact with Pavelski while falling and does push him to the ice. He can't just skate through Pavelski.

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Sorry...but from my corner of the world, this call didn’t cost Vegas the series. I agree it was a bad call...but when your up 3 games to 1 and lose 3 in a row...blaming it on one call is not seeing the forest through the trees. The happiest person right now should be Gallant as this bad call is completely distracting from his terrible coaching in the last two games.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sorry...but from my corner of the world, this call didn’t cost Vegas the series. I agree it was a bad call...but when your up 3 games to 1 and lose 3 in a row...blaming it on one call is not seeing the forest through the trees. The happiest person right now should be Gallant as this bad call is completely distracting from his terrible coaching in the last two games.
You’re arguing against a Game 7, not against the call.

In other words, you’re posting in the wrong place (and honestly, probably on the wrong board) and it doesn’t matter anyway.

Game is 3-0 with 10 minutes left. Start from there and move forward.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
You’re arguing against a Game 7, not against the call.

In other words, you’re posting in the wrong place (and honestly, probably on the wrong board) and it doesn’t matter anyway.

Game is 3-0 with 10 minutes left. Start from there and move forward.

Not at all...many people in this thread saying this call “cost them the series”, not “game seven.” But, to play along...their up 3-0 with 10 minutes to go and get a bad call...they still choked and gave up 4 PP goals and a 5th in OT. No one to blame but themselves..for game 7 and the series.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not at all...many people in this thread saying this call “cost them the series”, not “game seven.” But, to play along...their up 3-0 with 10 minutes to go and get a bad call...they still choked and gave up 4 PP goals and a 5th in OT. No one to blame but themselves..for game 7 and the series.
Costing Game 7 cost the series.

The series was ten minutes from being closed out, then a crap call happened and it wasn't.

To argue against that seems silly, especially here.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
He initiates the contact with Pavelski while falling and does push him to the ice. He can't just skate through Pavelski.
Agree to disagree. If they'd call Stastny for interference there then they'd technically have to call the Shark who impeded/interfered with Stastny before he interfered with Pavelski.

giphy.gif

The refs weren't even going to call a penalty and panicked when they saw blood. I don't think they saw what really happened with the collision with Stastny and assumed Eakin cross-checked Pavelski in the head, not the chest. Linesman who dropped the puck definitely didn't see it, his head is turned the other way. Cheers.

Reactions: FlatIron

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Costing Game 7 cost the series.

The series was ten minutes from being closed out, then a crap call happened and it wasn't.

To argue against that seems silly, especially here.

And the kill the penalty argument is dumb. The Sharks just saw their captain unconscious and bleeding on the ice. They went from a team dead on the ice to a team of angry bulls wanting revenge. The emotional turn matters and they were given 5 minutes to take their anger out on Vegas,

Reactions: The Duck Knight

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Agree to disagree. If they'd call Stastny for interference there then they'd technically have to call the Shark who impeded/interfered with Stastny before he interfered with Pavelski.

giphy.gif

The refs weren't even going to call a penalty and panicked when they saw blood. I don't think they saw what really happened with the collision with Stastny and assumed Eakin cross-checked Pavelski in the head, not the chest. Linesman who dropped the puck definitely didn't see it, his head is turned the other way. Cheers.

It's like throwing a flag in football when there's a clean tackle but player who is tackled tears an ACL. Makes no sense,. terrible call.

Reactions: ryerockarola

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Worst call I have EVER seen. Pavelski was just off balance.
That kinda play is made 20 times a game.
Not even sure it was a minor ... unless you watch it in super slow mo.

Fergy22

Nov 9, 2003
Ft Wayne
One of the most brutal calls I have ever witnessed. I rarely gripe about refs. On the whole I think that they do a good job with a few exceptions. But last night's major was a travesty. Nothing less.

I guess the only solace is that the start you guys have had with this franchise is historically good. No reason to think that next year's team won't be a good one.

Good luck against the Walleye!!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Am I the only one thinking Pavelski was going for some embellishment on the original cross check? The more I see the replay, the more it seems like he was going into dive mode right when Stastny attempted to skate through toward the puck. Worst f***ing call ever.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Am I the only one thinking Pavelski was going for some embellishment on the original cross check? The more I see the replay, the more it seems like he was going into dive mode right when Stastny attempted to skate through toward the puck. Worst ****ing call ever.
I have a hard time with people guessing players intent.

McNabb lost his edge a few games ago and people were losing their shit and calling for his head for trying to break Hertl's (I think) leg when it was fairly obvious to me that he literally just lost his edge. People were all so sure it was some dangerous thing since McNabb's taken out a few dudes in his career and muh "Vegas is durty."

Trying to guess intent is a losing game, you'll always be biased to see what you want unless you're some super neutral psycho.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I'm still trying to process this. It's all so surreal. Perhaps the worst call in NHL history followed immediately by one of the worst meltdowns. 24 hrs later and I still can't believe it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad