The Call

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Habs fan: Actually like both teams - unbiased opinion.

Bad calls will happen - horrible calls tend to happen at the most inopportune time. In this case, it should have been 2 min or possibly double minor (but def not a 5 min major).

Regardless, it is inexcusable for VGK to allow 4 goals on such a PP - even with SJ missing one of their snipers (pavs). Great teams know, and prepare for adversity. In a game reffed by humans these things will always happen. The blame lies squarely on the players, and to a lesser extent Gallant who should have taken a TO after the quick first goal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Habs fan: Actually like both teams - unbiased opinion.

Bad calls will happen - horrible calls tend to happen at the most inopportune time. In this case, it should have been 2 min or possibly double minor (but def not a 5 min major).

Regardless, it is inexcusable for VGK to allow 4 goals on such a PP - even with SJ missing one of their snipers (pavs). Great teams know, and prepare for adversity. In a game reffed by humans these things will always happen. The blame lies squarely on the players, and to a lesser extent Gallant who should have taken a TO after the quick first goal.
The two pitfalls are not mutually exclusive. Vegas not getting it together on the PK is as much to blame as being called for an over excessive penalty in the first place. One doesn't happen without the other. And in a Game 7, if you don't know what happened you need to make damn sure or defer to a 2 minute call and deal with the fallout after if you were wrong. The alternative is to prescribe an overly draconian penalty without knowing if it's even justified with the potential risk of turning the tides of a game.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
So many visitors from other fan bases. Welcome.

I baked some scones.

Scones540.jpg
Thanks- I might never leave!

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Thank you, I appreciate your input. The thing that really muddies this up is that Gallant says he was told that this was a high stick to the head. If that is the case, this was purely judged by the injury. Like seeing someone with a black eye and assuming they got hit, immediately calling the authorities. Just because it looks like something after doesn't mean it is. Making assumptions on such a call is a bad look.

Not excusing a professional official missing something but it happens all the time and if they think Eakin crosschecked Pavelski in the head, they missed it. It might've looked like it in the heat of the moment with the crosscheck combined with the head snapping back. However, with 4 guys out there you can't fumble a call like that. That's a big call to make. At a pivotal point in the game.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Not excusing a professional official missing something but it happens all the time and if they think Eakin crosschecked Pavelski in the head, they missed it. It might've looked like it in the heat of the moment with the crosscheck combined with the head snapping back. However, with 4 guys out there you can't fumble a call like that. That's a big call to make. At a pivotal point in the game.
I'd even understand that. But for Gallant to hear from them high sticking, that is from someone that just isn't watching.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I thought the Leafs were getting screwed over by the continued Bruin bias officiating, but my god do i feel bad for Knights fans. This was absolutely a travesty in reffing decisions, and even though the 4 goals given up is pretty bad it should never have gotten that far. Terrible terrible call that changed the outcome.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Arizona fan in peace... Looks to me like the Shark wanted a sell-job on Eakin. And then Stastny gave him what he wanted, and the Shark got injured. But he got injured because he was already selling it.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I would have called 2 minutes on Eakins and 4 minutes on Statsny

You mean 2 minutes on Pavs for embellishing on Eakin, and then 4 on Stastny for taking advantage of it, with an injury as the result.:sarcasm:

Or not. That was just me then.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
That was a 5.
No, it wasn't a 5. Barely a 2. I'm not a supporter of either team, just an NHL fan currently on hiatus from the Habs until they fire Bergevin. That wasn't a 5. That was a hockey play, some pushing, a shot to the shoulders he fell on Stastny got pushed again, fell on ice and bled. Ref saw "blood" and called 5. Total robbery, either way Gallant needs to call time out after the 2nd goal.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
The problem is people see blood and think 5 minutes. That isn't what the rulebook states. 5 minutes is for INTENT to injure. The only "injury" penalty in the rule book is the 4 minute double high sticking penalty. There was no intent to injure on this play so there never should have been a 5 minute major.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
It was a 2 minute cross check that got called based off the result and not the play. Honestly, it was bad because of that second contact which caused Pavelski's head to hit the ice bad. I would've been ok with double minor because of the blood.

There was no reason to be in this situation to begin with. 3 goal lead with 10 minutes and change to play, the one thing you need to do is stay out of the box. Make them beat you at even strength. While the penalty was more severe than deserved, it warranted at least 2 minutes.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It’s not the worst call in NHL history but it is probably in the ballpark, which is pretty insane. I was rooting for you guys to go deep again, what a bs joke job by the NHL

There have been dozens, maybe hundreds of worse calls. This kind of penalty is so subjective so it has to go behind the countless instances of objective, black and white calls that were missed or botched.

However, in terms of the timing of this penalty, and what happened afterwards, it could be the most disastrous refereeing decision I've ever seen.

Reactions: themilosh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad