The Call

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Only thing that can be faulted is not calling a timeout after the first or second goal. Not a single thing could be heard in that deafening building, you are without your top two penalty killers with Eakin's BS misconduct call and Bellemare injury. I do not blame the players one bit.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Bullshit call, was rooting all the game for you guys. That was maybe a 2min interference penalty, and if so it should have been on Statsny (or whoever was the guy pushing Palveski after faceoff), not Eakins.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One of the most brutal calls I have ever witnessed. I rarely gripe about refs. On the whole I think that they do a good job with a few exceptions. But last night's major was a travesty. Nothing less.

I guess the only solace is that the start you guys have had with this franchise is historically good. No reason to think that next year's team won't be a good one.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Bull**** call, was rooting all the game for you guys. That was maybe a 2min interference penalty, and if so it should have been on Statsny (or whoever was the guy pushing Palveski after faceoff), not Eakins.

If you're going to exclude Eakin's cross check to the chest then technically Pavelski should have been called for interference on Stastny. Stastny went forward to attack the puck carrier as the sharks had won the faceoff and Pavelski impeded Stastny's progress while not making an effort to play the puck.

Reactions: sabresfan65

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So who is the ref at fault? I've only skimmed a few reactions on threads and see a lot of mention of "the refs" or "officiating", but who is personally accountable here?

The NHL doesn't hold officials personally accountable for their mistakes in any public fashion. I guess understandably enough. But as the victimized fanbase wouldn't you kind of want to take that into your own hands to some extent, then? Boo the guy mercilessly next time he calls one of your games or something? Turn his name into a meme of some kind? Don't let him forget that he made a mistake. Maybe it will help serve as a reminder/deterrant to others? :dunno:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I’m a Ducks fan, and I’ve hated the incompetency of NHL refs for a long time, but last night took the top.
First rule of refs is to NOT be the story, and NhL refs can’t stop being the story.
From linesmen faking drops to get guys thrown out, to game management, right on through just being bad at their job.
Best sport on the planet, and one of the reasons it can’t get over the top (there are other reasons for sure), is how badly officiated games are.
Any hearing,fine, or supplemental discipline for Eakins?

But under Bettmans losership, I’m sure the next lockout will fix it.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
On a day that should be talking about Nacho Lady and a dominate showing from the Knights became about a call that should never had been made and the fall out from it. Say blame the players all you want, but with the magnitude of a Game 7, getting the right call is imperative. Hope this will lead to a discussion on major calls in the future.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sharks were other worldly after the call, Knights were shellshocked after the quick goal. I don't think there's a team out there that stops that first goal from going in. Sharks were possessed.

The issue is the crap major, of course, doesn't end after the first goal and the shellshock snowballed into outright collapse. We can talk about that, and we will for months, but the point is that the situation should have never happened in the first place.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
It is really awful I've listened to 10 minutes of ESPN Radio and all I hear is Lillard, Lillard, Lillard. It is bad for the NHL.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
Yes, it was a bad call.

Vegas players penalized themselves more by allowing 4 goals in 4 minutes, and giving up a 3-1 series lead.

I feel for the fans. I'd surmise you are more furious with your team than the refs, or are you?

...wisdom

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Yes, it was a bad call.

Vegas players penalized themselves more by allowing 4 goals in 4 minutes, and giving up a 3-1 series lead.

I feel for the fans. I'd surmise you are more furious with your team than the refs, or are you?

...wisdom

Simple question. Do they lose that game if that major isn't called? That should give you the answer.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Probably not, therefore Knights fans are more angry with the refs than the Vegas players. I understand.

I'd still be furious with that power kill.

...wisdom
K, well there's plenty of places on HF where VGK fans can get "...wisdom" from outsiders. There's thousand post threads dedicated to the discussion. I'll invite you to go post there instead.

Thanks for your take on where we should direct our fury.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, it was a bad call.

...wisdom

Power plays shouldn't decide games. That's why the refs put their whistles away for all the penalties in OT. Sharks couldn't score 5 on 5. They were gifted the 4 goals by an erroneous call. Should have been 3-1 with about 10 minutes left. If the Knights then take nore penalties to put the Sharks back on the pp, then I'm mad at the Knights. Otherwise this is all on the bad call.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, it was a bad call.

...wisdom

I'm disappointed with the pk unit and Fleury on the first goal. The other 3 looked like he was screened. But the bottom line is the refs blew it. If the sharks score on a 2 minute minor and score 2 or 3 more to tie it up in regulation and we lose in OT, I'll blame my team. The penalties were in the sharks favor 9 to 2. There were a few missed calls against us that wasn't called, but there were a lot of no calls against the sharks. Game 1 was the same story. The sharks want to bitch and moan about game 2, but the refs we're heavily in the sharks favor in games 1, 6 (swallowing their whistles on multiple tripping calls on the sharks in the 1st OT), and 7. In the end it was too much to overcome. Bad shooting and a few soft goals also hurt. But for every soft goals, Fleury did stop a lot more point blank chances and breakaways. So he didn't completely suck. He played well most of the time, but when we needed him most is when he let the team down. Some weak defense by several dmen didn't help either. But they could have been gassed too. These were tough games.

Supertack

Nov 19, 2013
Mundelein
So many visitors from other fan bases. Welcome.

I baked some scones.

Scones540.jpg

Well those are biscuits not scones, but thank you for the hospitality.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
In 30 years of watching the game, I've never seen a blown call affect the fate of a team to this extent. Its historic stuff. Yes, you guys were screwed out of a series, but on the bright side, you folks are some of the luckiest fans in the history of this league also with the generous expansion draft rules and the great run last year right off the bat.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Probably not, therefore Knights fans are more angry with the refs than the Vegas players. I understand.

I'd still be furious with that power kill.

...wisdom
Penalty kill was not great there, but I feel not calling the timeout at a better time is more the issue. The building was deafening without two of your top penalty killers. Communication is impossible. If a timeout was called after the first or second goal, the fanbase would have been quieted and maybe Vegas has more continuity. Instead, there was absolute chaos where not a single person in that building knew what was happening until after it was done.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
In 30 years of watching the game, I've never seen a blown call affect the fate of a team to this extent. Its historic stuff. Yes, you guys were screwed out of a series, but on the bright side, you folks are some of the luckiest fans in the history of this league also with the generous expansion draft rules and the great run last year right off the bat.
Hate to keep arguing the expansion draft, but the rules weren't as large as being the only player. Had Quebec City or Seattle been added at the same time, none of these sort of deals would have been made to the same capacity and it would be two teams competing for the same players. It really isn't often a team comes into the league alone.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Sharks were other worldly after the call, Knights were shellshocked after the quick goal. I don't think there's a team out there that stops that first goal from going in. Sharks were possessed.

The issue is the crap major, of course, doesn't end after the first goal and the shellshock snowballed into outright collapse. We can talk about that, and we will for months, but the point is that the situation should have never happened in the first place.
it was a bad call i don't think anybody is debating that but vegas had an chance to close the series out at home and didn't. they had a great chance with a 3-0 to win and they didn't. and after call and the blown lead, they got it to overtime and they still couldn't win. the 5 minute major was unfortunate but you cannot give up 4 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad