The Call

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'm still trying to process this. It's all so surreal. Perhaps the worst call in NHL history followed immediately by one of the worst meltdowns. 24 hrs later and I still can't believe it.
Curteousy of a sharks fan, and it made me laugh the call shall henceforth be called the Vegas Golden Plight.

But boy do I wish our season was still going.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

spfan

May 4, 2009
Penguins fan here. That was one of the most BS calls in the history of sports.
People are talking crap about VGK not having a better PK at the end or not taking a timeout, but they should have never been in that situation to begin with.
He crosschecked him in the chest. 2 min. penalty that's it. Okay, SJ scores 1. 3-1 game. VGK holds onto that. It should be VGK vs COL.
I'm absolutely hoping for SJ to get eliminated by COL.
SJ could sweep the next 3 rounds and they still don't deserve it. This is a travesty.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Here is the one thing. Statsny technically interfered with Pavelski. Pavelski got hurt. Interference + Injury is an automatic major. It still would have been an extremely soft call, but technically by the rules. Still would be pissed beyond belief.
You could argue that Pavelski interfered with Stastny as much as Stastny interfered with Pavelski. Stastny is trying to go to the point to cover his man and Pavelski backs into him.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe I am over-reacting, but I have some legitimate concerns about the impact of this call on our fanbase going forward. How many of our fans are brand new to hockey? I know I am. If it wasn't for the miracle season last year to get me hooked, this might've lost me from the game permanently. I've followed other sports for a long time and never seen something this bad happen. Maybe 1991 Duke vs UNLV tops it in terms of heartbreak, but the officials didn't decide that one.

I get minor calls being missed due to the speed of the game, but for this to happen in the 3rd period of a game 7? It makes one question the legitimacy of the rules. In the absence of rules and/or unequal application of the rules with a team's season on the line, there is no game. It's just WWE. People need to know their team is at least getting a fair shake out there. I wonder if those fans who don't have as much experience with NHL officiating will give up on the game due to this?

I really hope the team comes out on absolute fire next season to wipe away the stench of this. They need to roll this league next season for themselves, for the franchise and for the fans.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The spin to the league apology is now that Mcphee is lying just like Marche and Gallant after the game.

I don't dislike San Jose the team, but the fans? No comment.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
You could argue that Pavelski interfered with Stastny as much as Stastny interfered with Pavelski. Stastny is trying to go to the point to cover his man and Pavelski backs into him.
Well Pavelski was backed into him by the contact from Eakin. It's not like Pavelski decided to skate backwards/sideways all on his own and interfere with Stastny :)

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Maybe 1991 Duke vs UNLV tops it in terms of heartbreak, but the officials didn't decide that one.
This is exactly the reason I refuse to go down this rabbit hole. As a longtime Rebel fan, I got tired of blaming refs every time a call was marginal and thinking it still had something to do with Tark vs. NCAA. We lost. I'm moving on. Like GMGM says, "we're not going to carry around a big suitcase full of yesterdays".

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
This is exactly the reason I refuse to go down this rabbit hole. As a longtime Rebel fan, I got tired of blaming refs every time a call was marginal and thinking it still had something to do with Tark vs. NCAA. We lost. I'm moving on. Like GMGM says, "we're not going to carry around a big suitcase full of yesterdays".

That's the right attitude to have. I hope the fans respond that way.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's the right attitude to have. I hope the fans respond that way.
The internet is poison to me.

I was angry for an hour after the game ended, then I came out of it. However, seeing people's responses and just utter stupidity keeps me in this debate circle that serves no purpose.

Hopefully the league addresses it in the offseason, but I honestly don't really care that much since the situation coming up again for the Knights and impacting a game that important is pretty much nil. With the way half of these morons are responding to this, I don't really care if a major penalty review rights a wrong for their team, I want them to be wronged too.

I think I'm tapping out now though.

duty_calls.png

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV

I was angry for an hour after the game ended, then I came out of it. However, seeing people's responses and just utter stupidity keeps me in this debate circle that serves no purpose.

Hopefully the league addresses it in the offseason, but I honestly don't really care that much since the situation coming up again for the Knights and impacting a game that important is pretty much nil. With the way half of these morons are responding to this, I don't really care if a major penalty review rights a wrong for their team, I want them to be wronged too.

duty_calls.png

I hear ya. The SC board is a cesspool right now. I'd really like to meet some level headed Sharks fans because the ones I have encountered here are completely unhinged.

But I'm staying out of the fracas from here on out. It's like the old "wrestling with pigs" saying.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

duty_calls.png

The blatant lying hurts my head. The NHL won't come and take away their win if they admit it was the wrong call. No, they have to lie and try to twist things to make it right, or else they may have to accept their win was tainted.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
The blatant lying hurts my head. The NHL won't come and take away their win if they admit it was the wrong call. No, they have to lie and try to twist things to make it right, or else they may have to accept their win was tainted.

That's the crux of it and why they are circling the wagons every time the topic comes up. Even accusing everyone in the VGK organization, from the owner down, of lying so as not to have to confront reality.

I mean I've seen fans wrap their minds into pretzels before, but never to this degree. They have to sell everyone on their narrative and no one is buying it.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I hear ya. The SC board is a cesspool right now. I'd really like to meet some level headed Sharks fans because the ones I have encountered here are completely unhinged.

But I'm staying out of the fracas from here on out. It's like the old "wrestling with pigs" saying.

I believe Lady Stanley is one of those level headed Sharks fans on here.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Still shocked by that call, the worst I've ever seen. Fact is if San Jose doesn't get that "all you can eat" power play they don't win the game, Vegas played a perfect game up until that point. I hope the Sharks get smoked next round, but even then who really gives a shit. Appalling call.

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA

That is the most sane statement I’ve seen on this topic. Kudo’s to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad