The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Didn't think team tank would give up so easily. We've seen this story before and it's way too early to panic. The rails will come off in the new year and it'll be a bottom-5 finish again. The EP X-factor might make it a bottom-10 finish, and as long as they score in bunches while embarking on long losing streaks that's perfectly fine.

People talk about a "Cup" window all the time, but there is also a Tank window. As long as EP, Boeser and Horvat continue their upward trajectory and Hughes comes as good as advertised, that window will probably close next season and this will start looking like an actual bubble team. The time to take another top pick to stock the cupboards is this season.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Didn't think team tank would give up so easily. We've seen this story before and it's way too early to panic. The rails will come off in the new year and it'll be a bottom-5 finish again. The EP X-factor might make it a bottom-10 finish, and as long as they score in bunches while embarking on long losing streaks that's perfectly fine.

People talk about a "Cup" window all the time, but there is also a Tank window. As long as EP, Boeser and Horvat continue their upward trajectory and Hughes comes as good as advertised, that window will probably close next season and this will start looking like an actual bubble team. The time to take another top pick to stock the cupboards is this season.
Agree but fully disagree

The beagle signing was huge.

We can bitch about the term and $ spent but I for one is building down the middle.

With the emergence of EP and of course BB.....add in BH....I'm not sure if we can get another top 5 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
We aren't lottery level bad but we are bad. I expect us to finish around fifth worst again and get a pick around fifth overall. Sigh

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I see us picking around 10th. Team has decent offensive weapons and the goaltending isnt that bad....its our defense that needs improving.

There are worse teams ..sorry team tank.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Benning getting fired is absolutely crucial.

Getting another high pick is also needed, but not even close to as much as Benning getting fried.

Completely agree. Regardless of 2019 being touted as a very good draft class the organization needs to rid itself and remove the calamity that is Benning/Weisbroad first and foremost.

As much as another top 5 pick would help this team in the long run, inserting competent management which has a clear plan, direction, goals and an actual vision is what this team really needs. Drafting alone won't save this franchise.

When a general manager's focus is on "competing for a playoff spot and playing the right way," after recording the worst record in the league over the past 3 seasons it's time to call a spade a spade and take Jim Benning and wormtongue OUT TO PASTURE.

Still the only team without a President at the top. Trevor knew what was unfolding and jumped ship before hitting the ocean floor.

And yes Winnipeg doesn't have a 'President' but they have 3 Vice Presidents who actually know how to effectively oversee and manage all levels of the Jets franchise, top to bottom.

No one said the road to Moscow during winter was gonna be easy guys, tank on and keep your chins up!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I just don’t see Benning getting fired in the next year or so. Aquilini sees this season as progression, I can bet you on that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I just don’t see Benning getting fired in the next year or so. Aquilini sees this season as progression, I can bet you on that.

It seems that Benning is being evaluated by the media and ownership without a proper baseline. People act like bad teams don’t get the best chance of getting high quality young talent and eventually you are going to have an exciting young core. It would be the same (in terms of how Benning is being evaluated) had we drafted Ehlers, Konecny and Tkachuk instead of BB, and EP40.

Someone because we’re in a rebuild, trades are insignificant and bad contracts don’t matter. Then any drafting success is seen as overall success and “progression”

In terms of job security and expectations, Benning walked into a wonderful situation were he could be terrible for years and everyone would scramble to make excuses as long as a couple of first round picks work out.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It seems that Benning is being evaluated by the media and ownership without a proper baseline. People act like bad teams don’t get the best chance of getting high quality young talent and eventually you are going to have an exciting young core. It would be the same (in terms of how Benning is being evaluated) had we drafted Ehlers, Konecny and Tkachuk instead of BB, and EP40.

Someone because we’re in a rebuild, trades are insignificant and bad contracts don’t matter. Then any drafting success is seen as overall success and “progression”

In terms of job security and expectations, Benning walked into a wonderful situation were he could be terrible for years and everyone would scramble to make excuses as long as a couple of first round picks work out.

This is exactly it. People want to call Benning a genius drafter because he got a couple of good prospects at the top end of the draft, while ignoring his blatant misses by claiming nobody bats 1.000, and also ignoring how awful he's been at every other aspect of his job. Then they fall back and say "well nobody expected us to be good" and then finally "...but Gillis."

For whatever reason people always want to come up with lame excuses for Benning, yet crucify Gillis for taking the team to 1 win away from the Stanley Cup. I guess they identify more with Benning on an intelligence level so they all flock to his corner, I don't know, but it's quite pathetic. It does seem to be a bit of a microcosm for what's going on in North America as a whole though, with the rise in numbers of flat earthers, and the political situation down south.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
A bad enough tank to get Benning fired isn't going to happen. The next best reason is to get a high draft pick but I am not sure if the Canucks will be bad enough.

What I will settle for is being far away enough from a realistic playoff spot so this stays a season of development and maybe, just maybe we can hope for some progressive moves...selling veterans at the deadline...bring up Demko later to see what you have going into the off season...how about real progressive like trading Sutter so Gaudette can stay and develop against NHL speed and goalies.

Worst thing would be a playoff run or be close to give this management the idea the rebuild is almost over.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Benning getting fired is absolutely crucial.

Getting another high pick is also needed, but not even close to as much as Benning getting fried.

A bad enough tank to get Benning fired isn't going to happen. The next best reason is to get a high draft pick but I am not sure if the Canucks will be bad enough.
Worst thing would be a playoff run or be close to give this management the idea the rebuild is almost over.

I honestly don't think he's close to getting fired, even if the vast majority of his management decisions warrant it. I understand the desire for Benning to be let go, but there don't seem to even be any rumblings currently.

Issue is this management group has changed the goal posts multiple times, and the current mantra seems to be quick rebuild with playoffs in sight.

That's a vague enough goal to give Benning room no matter where we land in the draft this year. We get a high pick, claim it's a win for another high pick. We are close to playoffs, win as playoffs are in sight. We make playoffs, win for making the playoffs... he is working with a ridiculously low set of expectations currently...

The only way I can legitimately see him getting fired is if he misses on his next few drafts, and completely mismanages the team around the Big 3, BH, BB, EP.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
So realistically speaking, how does Benning actually get fired?

I agree with the above posters that he has a lot of leeway right now because ownership clearly doesn’t know how to properly evaluate a GM and will continually move goalposts to convince themselves that the rebuild is going smoothly.

So what now? Are we just doomed to be stuck with him until he screws up so much that even the Aquilini’s realize he has to go?

Because by then he will have squandered the ELC’s of Pettersson and Boeser as well as wasted a chunk of Horvat’s prime.

You need players contributing on ELC’s if you want to win a Cup.

If we wait for Benning to get fired and replaced, and that new GM to find a way to get the right pieces around that core trio, our Cup window will be extremely small.

Compare that to Toronto who looks poised to contend for several years.

So what needs to happen to speed up Benning’s departure?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So realistically speaking, how does Benning actually get fired?

I agree with the above posters that he has a lot of leeway right now because ownership clearly doesn’t know how to properly evaluate a GM and will continually move goalposts to convince themselves that the rebuild is going smoothly.

So what now? Are we just doomed to be stuck with him until he screws up so much that even the Aquilini’s realize he has to go?

Because by then he will have squandered the ELC’s of Pettersson and Boeser as well as wasted a chunk of Horvat’s prime.

You need players contributing on ELC’s if you want to win a Cup.

If we wait for Benning to get fired and replaced, and that new GM to find a way to get the right pieces around that core trio, our Cup window will be extremely small.

Compare that to Toronto who looks poised to contend for several years.

So what needs to happen to speed up Benning’s departure?

Because our owner is just as stupid as the idiot in the front office, it'll probably take this year and next year at the bottom of the standings. If the Canucks start pushing for the playoffs and get close next year I think he'll get extended again. Basically, all the chances the Lowe regime got would be given to Benning, and the Canucks will end up with something like 15 years at the bottom of the league. Benning is incompetent, but enough Canuck fans are just as dumb as he is and are perfectly happy with stupidity so there's not enough fan pressure on ownership to make a change.

Reactions: DarrenX

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Good night, tank you for playing.
PolishedGivingBlackfish-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events