The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by ProstheticConscience, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Let 'er ryp.

Continue tanking adventures here.

[​IMG]

dwarf, Ori, Toxic0n and 2 others like this.
  2. valkynax

valkynax Registered User

LMAO girls und panzer eh

I watched the whole series and my goodness there's so much stereotypes.

Americans all use Sherman tanks; Brits drink tea in Churchills; Soviets are all rude; and the Germans are the final boss haha

Ah, good times.

mossey3535 and Jack Burton like this.
  3. Hemty

Hemty Registered User

Sound Engineer
    Sadness and disappointment ensues.

4. Son of a Dawson

Son of a Dawson Benning the incompetent

alexpj likes this.
  5. Billy Kvcmu

Billy Kvcmu Registered User

Back in high school I was suggested this series by a friend.
    Well, never got in to it

6. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Pro Tank Since 13

As a kid it was always Star Blazers for me

[​IMG]

Even to this day if I'm bored I'll hit up YouTube and watch my favorite episodes.

7. valkynax

valkynax Registered User

I watched it for the stereotypes, which, to be fair, were pretty accurate if you think about it.

Oh and I forgot to mention the Italians - they were TERRIBLE at everything lol.

The school that looks like Germans even got the school logo looking like iron cross, it's an iron cross with the school's name 黑森峰 (literally means black forest mountain...) painted on it. I mean... can you possible BE more over the top?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  8. ProstheticConscience

Huh. I just thought that was some cutesy little graphic. Had no idea it was a show.

Pip likes this.
  9. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Home Page:
    Son of a Dawson, racerjoe and Hemty like this.
  10. valkynax

valkynax Registered User

it's called Girls und Panzer (no really).

originally a light novel, made into an anime. If you got some time to pass give it a go, if nothing else the stereotypes are absolutely hilarious.

all the schools are based on major ww2 nations.

EDIT: of course the main character's school is based on Japan who's basically a hodgepodge of tanks from various nations.

11. ProstheticConscience

Oh, I googled it. It does sound vaguely familiar. I had heard of it but never actually seen it.

12. valkynax

valkynax Registered User

If you need explanation of which nation this school represents I'm gonna beat you over the head with a picture of Josef Stalin:

13. Intangibos

Intangibos High-End Intangibos

There are very few occasions you can say "good times" in any topic involving Panzers. :laugh:

Concentrating our suckage at a single point of the draft lottery and potentially forcing ownership to capitulate and fire Benning is one of those occasions.

Fun fact: Gudbranson is something that sounds similar to "Panzer". Can anyone guess what it is?

I posted this in the other thread and I didn't get any replies either because nobody agreed/had any interest or it just wasn't really seen. If it's the former then that's fine, if it's the latter I hope people will take a look.

For clarification "Jakes and Kyles" were referring to a twitter link with muh Gillis cupboards arguments in response to this team still losing despite Benning claiming he would turn the team around quickly.

I've been thinking and I think we're aiming for a home run when we should be playing some small ball.

Not to start a political discussion, but like him or not, in 2012 Trump trademarked "Make America Great Again" and started gathering the existing malcontents on Twitter with whatever that Twitter was. Then when liberal politics, in the eyes of many, hit rock bottom he dropped the hammer and put a lot of money into winning on the back of that anger. He set them up before he knocked them down. Without building that base first he never wins IMO. This has nothing to do with what you think of him or his supporters, I'm not trying to open that can of worms, you don't even have to think it was intentional rather than him just bumbling his way into it. I'm just using it as an example of attracting supporters before making your move.

For every Jake and Kyle out there, there are plenty of others who are getting pissed off but don't have anywhere to voice it aside from Twitter or Reddit where they get downdoots. The fanbase is primed for us to sow discontent and anger. Sure a billboard will get publicity but then we'll get Jakes and Kyles saying muh prospect pool etc.

We should be trying to get a few base hits to set up the grand slam rather than just trying to hit it out of the park from the start. The billboard should be regarded as a tool to force media exposure of the malcontent fans IMO. We can't just put up a billboard saying "we're right". We have to make them agree with us and then broadcast it so when there is media attention a large chunk of the fanbase will actually stand behind it. Our goal should be to publicize the anger of the fanbase that exists rather than expecting a billboard to make the fanbase angry in the first place.

We need to coordinate and "subvert" as a group, but we need to stick within the lines of what is acceptable on HF. Obviously I'm not talking about getting some Russian bots or raiding another website, I just mean coordinating with talking points to really hammer on together as a group rather than fighting a battle of information on several fronts at once. Just blitzkrieg the Benning army on a specific point publicly on high-traffic boards. This can be done on other boards with higher traffic or even things I suggested previously like sticking up posters near the arena.

After what will no doubt be another poor season, spending the rest of the season and off-season heating things up will allow us to let it boil over next season. It will also prevent Benning from making lame duck moves if we try to trigger it around the deadline. We don't want to fizzle, we need to get our ducks in a row first so we don't blow it. We can still compete in 22/23 or 23/24 with proper management coming in at the end of next season as long as we're not entirely handcuffed by more long term bad signings. Like getting Karlsson for 8 years so he's declining when we should be competing would be pretty disastrous, but we need to face facts that Benning is not going to be gone by the end of the season barring a miracle.

The biggest risk is the Canucks having a season that is just good enough to ease the anger we've built up while not actually helping the future in any way. I doubt that's very likely though as our prospects aren't really killing it and I doubt Benning will suddenly learn to bring in quality talent. If he did suddenly then kudos to him anyway.

Also, how do you guys feel about an HF discord? Or pro-tank discord? It allows us to build up our notes as a group as well as highlighting important messages or announcements regarding whatever. Far more efficient if we really wanna work together as a group for change than a message board.

Hemty and Jack Burton like this.
  14. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Discord or Slack.

I've never tried discord but I imagine it's similar.

Slack is good because you can create different channels to represent the different internet locations that Canucks fans congregate. CDC, Reddit.... etc.

Using a message board to coordinate anything would be an exercise in futility (kinda like how Peter10's message thread got nuked almost immediately)

15. Jay Cee

Jay Cee P4G

We are going to have to turn all these third period comebacks into the typical collapses if we want to make this work.

16. Intangibos

Intangibos High-End Intangibos

But yeah, message boards aren't that bad necessarily, but this isn't our message board dedicated to what we want done so we can't just make stickies or use it specifically to organize something. Old posts get forgotten and the discussion moves on.

There is value to ongoing discussion, but there is value to what are essentially stickies. Discord achieves this just as well. It would be fine if we had our own message board, but discord is far easier than setting up another board elsewhere and Discord IMO is far more accessible to bringing people in than trying to get them to register on a whole other board. It's not particularly common for non-gamers to use Discord, but it's still accessible, intuitive, and those who are gamers will very likely already have it making it at least more convenient for some while not any less convenient for others than registering on another board. It also has Android/iPhone apps if you don't really use a desktop often. Not sure if Slack has that but it's far less common as I'm pretty sure it's more of a platform for coders within a company or team to work together which makes it less accessible for some, and Discord is extremely intuitive.

The biggest drawback is that it is somewhat worse for one-on-one discussions spanning several days that you wish to be public, but given that you can tag people in your messages it's still fine.

You can make plenty of separate channels as well with different restrictions on who can post in them. You can use channels to either make announcements where only admins can post, you can make individual chat channels for everyone to discuss in, and you can make announcements to specific people or to the entire server so they get an alert that there is a message they can read in any channel by tagging specific people or everyone. You can also make "pinned" messages in regular channels that are basically stickies but they aren't always visible, but you can view pinned messages by clicking the thumbtack at the top. You would do this if you didn't want to make a whole new channel for a pinned message or announcement etc.

Here is a screenshot of a discord server just to show you what I mean:
    [​IMG]

If I were tagged for someone in a server it appears like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you're tagged you'll get a mark on the server list to the left over the server you were tagged in, and if you're not set to "Do Not Disturb" you'll get a desktop or phone notification as well.

They're free to setup/host as Discord has a premium model where you get access to games and other perks, but free works perfectly fine and still allows you to make servers. You can pass ownership and admin around if you feel the need and have various tiers of administration and moderation privileges. I made a server briefly when I made the post in a previous thread, but I deleted it as nobody joined and it made me feel like a kid with no friends at a birthday party :cry:. I could make one again if people reply or tag me here saying they're interested, or someone else can just make one as it's extremely easy as there are others who are putting in far more effort than me.

One of those posters deserve to lead the discussion and I don't think it's a ton of work especially if it's a team effort, but as I said I could make one for the group and give administration rights to whoever wants it as long as they're a trusted member of our HF community. We just don't want anyone joining and getting administration rights who have malicious intent and delete all our content, but I could just occasionally make backups of the chat in the server in case of such an event. Anyway I think it's better to have a number of community leaders who can discuss what needs to be done next rather than one person making all the decisions. We're all friends here and I think we respect each other enough that we can work together to come to a consensus on the appropriate steps we need to take and I believe it's far easier to put forward those suggestions there than it is here.

mathonwy likes this.
  17. Ori

Ori The great Coral Reefs

Nucks get some wins recently, but is`t that good for player development and the drafting topic next summer?

18. valkynax

valkynax Registered User

2 reasons the tank is supported:

- getting a high pick for the platinum talent the team needs.
    - getting Dim Jim at least 500 miles away from Vancouver.

winning games is detrimental to both of these causes.

to me the solace of winning games is so I can straight up point and laugh at the team who can't even beat our teams that's basically AHL outside of the trio.

Ori and racerjoe like this.
  19. Nucker101

Nucker101 Foundational Poster

I’m okay with wins when it’s the young guys doing the heavy lifting. Ideally most games are higher scoring losses obviously but that’s just not realistic in a league where parity is prominent.

I also blame you guys who were complaining about Schaller in the top 6, Pouliot being immune to healthy scratches and Gudbranson in general(thankfully he’s healthy).

Those guys are crucial tank commanders. We should embrace them and support them. And then bury them along with our chief commander after the season!

20. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Pro Tank Since 13

Let's go :flyers :towel:

21. clunk

clunk Fire Jim Benning

**** this

22. ihaveyuidonttouchme

ihaveyuidonttouchme MrShiftbyShiftGuy

Home Page:
    turns on....already 3-0.....flyers knows whats up

23. TruKnyte

TruKnyte Registered User

Rocket scientist
    Well, hopefully the Flyers fire their coach after this game, they hire a replacement and the new coach leads them past the Canucks in the standings.

24. IAMGROOT

IAMGROOT Registered User

Tank Commander Pou!

25. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Philly blows

Ori likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.