The Bluth Company Discussion Thread Part 3 | Advance Monday | Taking Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tupelo

Come On You Spurs
Nov 28, 2007
St. Louis
Okay this is what I think would be the best way to calculate cap at the start of the season:

All players and goalies on the main roster.
All players and goalies above 80 overall in the minors.
All players and goalies above $.950 million or so in salary in the minors.

Any team looking to bury a player and not wanting them to count against the cap would need to contact me to put them on waivers. This would be optional and not automatic.

Let me know what you guys think. This will cause the cap the be higher because I did not take players buried in the minors into account. I will calculate it when I get home.

I know for the :caps, this would cause Tom Wilson to be counted (70 ovr, approx 19-20 yrs old, $1.24 mil cap hit) Not something I'd necessarily want, but I guess I could live with it. Other than that, I'm fine with that system.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I could look at players who were signed real-life entry level contracts and not include them in the cap number. That would be easy to do considering the number would be much too high for their overall and potential.

What about a qualifier for players 27 years or older to be included in the above 1 million rule?

Once I get home and run the numbers I'll have a better idea of who fits and who doesn't.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I could look at players who were signed real-life entry level contracts and not include them in the cap number. That would be easy to do considering the number would be much too high for their overall and potential.

What about a qualifier for players 27 years or older to be included in the above 1 million rule?

Once I get home and run the numbers I'll have a better idea of who fits and who doesn't.

Your proposal was fine--there no need for even more qualifications / exceptions. It is just going to become too complicated. After all, Wilson is already in the NHL--so its not like counting his cap hit is unfair (his overall might be too low, but you can say that about a lot of players).

Lost in all this discussion, I think, is how hard it is going to be to have to constantly manually calculate the cap after every signing, trade, etc. Simplicity has to be the goal here, I think.

EDIT: We definitely can't exclude all ELCs--I say this as someone who would benefit from having Sean Monahan for free for the next two seasons.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
1. I wouldn't involve all ELCs. It would be all ELCs put in the minors (CPU automatically does lines before the start of the season which is when I would calculate it). Also if you have a player in the minors who doesn't count against the cap up to your NHL team, it will be in placement of another player who does count against the cap and will not be playing. It should even out.

2. Calculating the new cap for each trade would be as easy as adding or subtracting the difference in salary with eligible players. Salary also can be retained in this scenario. Not to mention we won't see so many trades from year 2 onward (likely). GMs might need to think more about the cap, but then that gives us more to do while waiting for games.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
ugh, add Parenteau to the list of injuries piling up.

Parenteau out with a broken leg for 45 games!!

:avs are pretty much out of contention

casualties:
Stastny - 26 games
Parenteau - 45 games
Tanguay - 3 games
Barrie - 36 games

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
ugh, add Parenteau to the list of injuries piling up.

Parenteau out with a broken leg for 45 games!!

:avs are pretty much out of contention

casualties:
Stastny - 26 games
Parenteau - 45 games
Tanguay - 3 games
Barrie - 36 games

I'd like to take this time to apologize to my Central division brethren. I've happened to injure Parenteau, Rozsival, and Keith all for 30+ games in my last 2 games played.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Just take out one of Kopitar, Carter, or Doughty from LA and you'll be forgiven.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The goalies are super smart in this game.

NHL14XBX_3_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_kyZ_zpsec5904df.jpg

Way to hug the post, Fleury!

cbenini87

Jan 25, 2012
Make a goalie sub, goalie skates off and TB shoots it into the empty net as the sub is being made. (Not sure why they do it like this in this game.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tupelo

Come On You Spurs
Nov 28, 2007
St. Louis
Damn, intense game between :nashville and :caps. Chimera scores a shorthanded goal (his 6th shorty of the season) through pure hard work to tie it. Goes to OT and MoJo has a goal called back because of "goaltender interference." Caps are awful in SO and fail to score. Needless to say, :caps will be submitting video to the league on the called back goal and will be expecting the refs to be reprimanded.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
Damn, intense game between :nashville and :caps. Chimera scores a shorthanded goal (his 6th shorty of the season) through pure hard work to tie it. Goes to OT and MoJo has a goal called back because of "goaltender interference." Caps are awful in SO and fail to score. Needless to say, :caps will be submitting video to the league on the called back goal and will be expecting the refs to be reprimanded.

Pekka Rinne's diving rating is at about 90 right now. After watching the replay, he goes flopping around right when the puck is about to cross the line.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
You take the breaks you can get, right?

:laugh:

That's quite a bit different from a blown goaltender interference penalty or something like that, which I think is more in line with what your suggesting. Seems to me that the sporting thing would have been to shoot it out of play, or at least wait for the goalie to get in the net, but to each their own, I guess.

I really never change my goalie in game either, so I dunno. I'm not convinced it does that much, and given that the starter's GP are capped, its never seemed worth it to bring Holtby in when Irving plays poorly. Given how frequently Irving plays poorly, I've never considered pulley Holtby for him. :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I thought you were talking about the goaltender interference call in the Nashville Washington game. Nevermind.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Alright, I re-did the numbers based on my rule suggestion for calculating salary affecting the cap, and I got an even lower number than before: $60.22 million.

I will probably bump it up to $62 million and call it a day, but based on the way players sign for contracts, I don't think people will have trouble hitting that cap. If anyone is interested I can start up a new test league and have people test out free agency with that as the artificial cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad