OT: The Avalounge: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb [Special Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
It's a great thing that some long time rock music icons have been able to keep producing good music. Bands like RHCP and the Foo Fighters (granted I've always liked those two a lot) have come out with solid albums fairly recently. Meanwhile, Iron Maiden and AC/DC's most recent albums were tiresome.

(I'm totally avoiding doing this article analysis but hey, I can do it tomorrow morning?)

I'm an Iron Maiden fan, or at least was one when I was younger and I have to agree here.. the last album wasn't so great. BUT I actually think that A Matter of Life and Death is in top three of their albums. So many great songs on that one. Dance of Death was a cool album too.

No comments about AC/DC, never had any love for em. Can listen occasionally on the radio, that is it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
(I'm totally avoiding doing this article analysis but hey, I can do it tomorrow morning?)

I'm an Iron Maiden fan, or at least was one when I was younger and I have to agree here.. the last album wasn't so great. BUT I actually think that A Matter of Life and Death is in top three of their albums. So many great songs on that one. Dance of Death was a cool album too.

Dance of Death is absolutely my favorite Iron Maiden album. I meant more recent.

No comments about AC/DC, never had any love for em. Can listen occasionally on the radio, that is it.

To be fair, I've never liked them very much either but the 2015 album was cornier than ever.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Dance of Death is absolutely my favorite Iron Maiden album. I meant more recent.

I thought those would qualify as recent, as they have been doing music for so long and have released dozens of albums (most just having the same songs as the albums before) :laugh: But yeah, after AMOLAD the quality has dropped. The Final Frontier had its moments, but it was meh after AMOLAD.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've liked all of the groups but the age of the groups probably plays a role in their peak times.

AC/DC - 1973
Iron Maiden - 1975
RHCP - 1983
Foo Fighters - 1994

For me, AC/DC and Iron Maiden in the early-mid 80s were awesome.
RHCP/Foo Fighters in the early-mid 90s were awesome. Haven't cared for much of their stuff outside of those eras though...although I think AC/DC has been the most consistent, albeit least creative or talented of the bunch.

Just my $0.02.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't particularly care for it when an '80s band puts out new albums with '80s music.

I get it, that's what made you fat and famous. But try to evolve, and have your new album at least be somewhat current.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I don't particularly care for it when an '80s band puts out new albums with '80s music.

I get it, that's what made you fat and famous. But try to evolve, and have your new album at least be somewhat current.

Like this? :naughty:

Oh god that is awful.

Iron Maiden made good things in the 80's, 90's and 00's. Metallica is a band where I can totally point out their best production years - 80's and Black Album. All downhill from there, Death Magnetic having o k level songs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Different strokes...I find current music to be lacking. It does nothing for me. Which is why I've been listening to a lot of post-war, big-band, crooner and early soul (Ink Spots, Sinatra (early big band stuff mostly), Bing Crosby, Louis Armstong, Sam Cooke, Dean Martin ) the last few years. I wasn't around for them when they were on the radio but listening to the radio today is near impossible for me.

I'd rather not have Accept put out a folk/hipster or hip-hop album.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I've liked all of the groups but the age of the groups probably plays a role in their peak times.

Yeah, no doubt, and some of it is personal bias. A lot of 90s bands have already kind of fallen out too though. RHCP's run is pretty impressive by now though. And they were able to bring some of the funk back.

I thought those would qualify as recent, as they have been doing music for so long and have released dozens of albums (most just having the same songs as the albums before) :laugh: But yeah, after AMOLAD the quality has dropped. The Final Frontier had its moments, but it was meh after AMOLAD.

Well you're right it is recent in their career, in fact, back when I first realized Dance of Death was a 2003 album I was sort of surprised, I thought it would have been older. (Note: I was 8, I don't remember Iron Maiden release dates from back then.)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's a great thing that some long time rock music icons have been able to keep producing good music. Bands like RHCP and the Foo Fighters (granted I've always liked those two a lot) have come out with solid albums fairly recently. Meanwhile, Iron Maiden and AC/DC's most recent albums were tiresome.

You're under the wrong stipulation if you think AC/DC is a good band. :sarcasm:

I've been expanding my musical collection recently listening to some discographies on YouTube. I was quite disappointed in Alice in Chains, like Deftones, each band had a lot of hit or miss songs. But those songs which you like, you REALLY like. After listening, I only had like ten songs I loved from Alice in Chains, but man I think I have already listened to I Stay Away and Angry Chair like thousand times already. Of course their best song for me is No Excuses.

I wouldn't say I am a huge fan, but I do like RHCP. However, I am a big advocate of having at least semi-intelligent lyrics. I love the sound and style of this song, but the lyrics completely destroy it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Totally worth it :yo: RHCP rocks, would love to see em live.

That they do my man. I'm also seeing them in KC on May 21st.

This came immediately into my mind :laugh:

jcwd.gif

RHCP's era from Californication to Stadium Arcadium produced some REALLY great music...and John Frusicante was, in my estimation, one of the main reasons for that. His singing is a PERFECT compliment to Kiedis (who is ****ing FIFTY-FOUR years old...good lord that man is in shape). I think "I'm With You" was a bit of a rough patch for them since it was their first album with Klinghoffer, but "The Getaway" has shown to be a revelation (in my view). Doesn't hurt that Klinghoffer was basically a progeny of Frusciante.

AC/DC - 1973
Iron Maiden - 1975
RHCP - 1983
Foo Fighters - 1994

RHCP/Foo Fighters in the early-mid 90s were awesome. Haven't cared for much of their stuff outside of those eras though...although I think AC/DC has been the most consistent, albeit least creative or talented of the bunch.

Just my $0.02.

I think RHCP's best era was as I said above--"Californication" to "Stadium Arcadium". "I'm With You" had some decent-enough tracks, but "The Getaway" is one of their strongest works, and I'd include it alongside that "Californication"-to-"Stadium Arcadium" era. There's only 2 songs on the album that I'm not a huge fan of, out of 13...that's a great batting average in my book.

I agree. I like it when bands try new things and evolve...even though Metallica sort of got trashed for it with Load and Re-Load (but they've always been a band that has said, publicly, they're really only interested in making music that is of interest to them personally).

And I think RHCP did that with their last album. It's got plenty of what made them famous to begin with (groovy bass, funk tones), but Brian Burton (who produced the album, and is also known as Danger Mouse, from Gnarls Barkley and Broken Bells) has a great ear for rock music (has produced the last several Black Keys albums) and he introduced things that I think helped bring them to a new level....seriously, for anyone who's interested, go check out "Go Robot" or "Goodbye Angels" from the last album, those are two of the strongest tracks.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I never said they were good, I said they're an icon. :sarcasm:

I've been expanding my musical collection recently listening to some discographies on YouTube. I was quite disappointed in Alice in Chains, like Deftones, each band had a lot of hit or miss songs. But those songs which you like, you REALLY like. After listening, I only had like ten songs I loved from Alice in Chains, but man I think I have already listened to I Stay Away and Angry Chair like thousand times already. Of course their best song for me is No Excuses.

Facelift and Sap (EP) aren't that great but from Dirt in 1992 all the way to the Unplugged in -96 is a very solid and quick four album stretch IMO. I don't think the self-titled album's sound is for everyone but I love the Alice In Chains album.

I wouldn't say I am a huge fan, but I do like RHCP. However, I am a big advocate of having at least semi-intelligent lyrics. I love the sound and style of this song, but the lyrics completely destroy it.

Some of the lyrics are purposely stupid. Others aren't.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

That's one thing that RHCP detractors point to, which is that Kiedis isn't always a great lyricist...and at this point I'm feeling like that might be part of the design. The band seems to enjoy the music more than the words for certain songs (like the one you linked).

He's shown he's capable of crafting great lyrics to songs (Californication, Venice Queen, Otherside, Wet Sand, Under the Bridge, etc).

A lot of the fun in seeing them live is seeing the pure unadulterated energy that the WHOLE band has (notably Flea, obviously).

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Do you guys prefer skiing to snowboarding?

They are both pretty damned fun. I don't think much beats being on a board with fresh tracks in a bowl or some open face when there is nothing but fresh powder in front of you, though. I have gone full circle skiing > boarding > skiing. I think I'm getting old, but I just got sick of bending down to buckle up my board each and every time I got off the lift.

Then again I live in the SE now, so there really isn't anything you can actually call skiing anyway. I would rather go tubing around here I think.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
RHCP's era from Californication to Stadium Arcadium produced some REALLY great music...

I like the MM/BSSM/OHM album trifecta.

In particular, Mother's Milk is a good one for me. That's the album that got me into that band.

I agree. I like it when bands try new things and evolve...even though Metallica sort of got trashed for it with Load and Re-Load (but they've always been a band that has said, publicly, they're really only interested in making music that is of interest to them personally).

Speaking of which, have we discussed the new Metallica? Some really good tunes in there.

AC/DC - 1973
Iron Maiden - 1975
RHCP - 1983
Foo Fighters - 1994

Just my $0.02.

I'll go back to almost the beginning with AC/DC. Dirty Deeds is a great album, ditto for Highway to Hell, ditto for Let There be Rock (all in the 70s). And of course Back in Black is a masterpiece.

With Maiden, I really love the '82-84 timeframe: Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave. Good stuff.

I like Foo Fighters, but mostly those first two albums in 1995 and 1997. After that, they faded for me. One of my wife's favorite bands though. We go to their concerts whenever they're in town (have traveled to other cities for a couple also). They put on a really good live show.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I agree with the recent AC/DC efforts.

That new Maiden wasn't bad though. I like some of those tunes.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I like the MM/BSSM/OHM album trifecta.

In particular, Mother's Milk is a good one for me. That's the album that got me into that band.

Speaking of which, have we discussed the new Metallica? Some really good tunes in there.

While I like and appreciate the MM/BSSM albums...I can't really agree wtih OHM. The album is a reflection of the band at that time, in my opinion. Dave Navarro coming in after they had to sort of kick Frusciante out, but he never "gelled" with the rest of them. The album is just kind of "there". It has some good songs (I think because Flea/Anthony are too talented for it to not have any good songs), but it's not a personal favorite of mine.

Californication/By The Way/Stadium Arcadium was just so ****ing solid from start to finish, and with the way Frusciante came back and rocked the house on those albums...they're good (especially the song Venice Queen from BTW).

As far as the new Metallica...I've listened to it, and I'm largely mixed. I don't HATE it, but I personally feel that the 3 STRONGEST tracks are "Atlas, Rise!", "Moth Into Flame", and "Now That We're Dead" (personally I think this is the strongest track on the whole album).

I didn't get much into the other songs on there...but with time maybe another listen-through will produce different results.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Good call. Wasn't familiar with this song since I haven't done a whole lot of in depth listening of RHCP. Was worried it wouldn't get going but halfway through it increasingly did which was cool.

I LOVE that song, and the story behind it (Gloria was the name of the Drug Counselor who helped both Kiedis and Frusicante get cleaned up, and she passed away from cancer).

I think it's the best song on By The Way (it just wasn't a commercial single). Frusciante absolutely slays it on this one...you should watch the rendition of this song on their Live at Slane Castle concert.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I LOVE that song, and the story behind it (Gloria was the name of the Drug Counselor who helped both Kiedis and Frusicante get cleaned up, and she passed away from cancer).

I think it's the best song on By The Way (it just wasn't a commercial single). Frusciante absolutely slays it on this one...you should watch the rendition of this song on their Live at Slane Castle concert.

I gotta take time to watch this whole concert. It's shot well and the live performance was awesome.¨

That all seems so easy for Kieldis. Like guy, you have a lot of lyrics at times, at least sound out of breath occasionally.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah I love me some RHCP, too. Everything from BSSM to Stadium Arcadium is ok by me. Mother's milk was before my time and I haven't heard their new album for some reason.

I think these are my favorite two songs, but it is really hard to pick.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I gotta take time to watch this whole concert. It's shot well and the live performance was awesome.¨

That all seems so easy for Kieldis. Like guy, you have a lot of lyrics at times, at least sound out of breath occasionally.

He was apparently in some sort of walking boot at the concert last night, but I didn't seem to notice. The guy is in amazing physical condition for someone who's 54.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Playing Red Dead Redemption right now. Great game but damn does it look and play it's age. Can't wait for the new one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Playing Red Dead Redemption right now. Great game but damn does it look and play it's age. Can't wait for the new one.

I went back and played it on the X1 and it was amazing how much better it was. The framerate was SO much better.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I went back and played it on the X1 and I was amazing on how much better it was. The framerate was SO much better.

It's been so long since I played it on 360 that I don't remember stuff like the framerate issues. It runs really well on the X1 though.

No work for the next couple days means I'm going to blow through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad