OT: The Avalounge: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb [Special Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
so I went skiing for the first time since the Clinton administration this weekend and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if I'd end up with a fractured leg after the first run but the way you keep your balance and turn is really similar to skating and I was able to handle blue runs without falling more than once or twice. Now I'm thinking about buying gear. Is there a big difference between skis that cost $300 and skis that cost $700?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
have you considered a career change as a therapist?

Thanks but no lol.

I dated a girl in my 20s that was emotionally abusive. Learned my lesson from that. It it still affects me today. Twenty years later as a manager in business I've experienced that I have little confidence and it probably stems from my early dating years and that specific relationship. I really wish I hadn't let someone stomp all over me - who you choose to hang out with and who you're willing to give time/attention to in life just matters so much. I don't have any patience anymore for people that like to create drama or devalue others.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
so I went skiing for the first time since the Clinton administration this weekend and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if I'd end up with a fractured leg after the first run but the way you keep your balance and turn is really similar to skating and I was able to handle blue runs without falling more than once or twice. Now I'm thinking about buying gear. Is there a big difference between skis that cost $300 and skis that cost $700?

If you're not a really advanced skier, I'd say no. It's the boots that will matter more.

There are places where you can demo different skis. I did that a few years ago, demo'd 3 sets, purchased the ones I liked best.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

What AB said, focus on a getting a pair of boots that's fits you and suits your skiing style. Get a pair of skis that are in good condition and can get you down the mountain, if you really get back into skiing than you can worry more about higher end skis. Skiing really is an expensive sport if you don't do it very often.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
What TAP says is right. If you're going to put money anywhere getting back into skiing right now put it in boots. Demoing a pair of skis is the right move too. They'll be cheaper than brand new skis and you actually get to use them before you buy them.

I probably have to buy new boots at the end of the year and there is no way I can afford that right now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What TAP says is right. If you're going to put money anywhere getting back into skiing right now put it in boots. Demoing a pair of skis is the right move too. They'll be cheaper than brand new skis and you actually get to use them before you buy them.

I probably have to buy new boots at the end of the year and there is no way I can afford that right now.

Buying boots sucks, it's so expensive but a necessity. Luckily my mom is like on the black market for ski equipment so I can usually find good deals on ski's and boots if needed. I'm gonna need new ski's here next year probably, so if you or AB have any recommendations for all mountain ski's let me know.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Am I the only one who gets irritated by the amount of typos people do with Finnish hockey names? Christ, the butchering that has been done (and will be done in the future) with "Puljujärvi" is beyond count. Just one example.

Back to work on the thesis. Meh this is time consuming. Honestly, work multiple hours just to finish 1/3 of a chapter.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Am I the only one who gets irritated by the amount of typos people do with Finnish hockey names? Christ, the butchering that has been done (and will be done in the future) with "Puljujärvi" is beyond count. Just one example.

Back to work on the thesis. Meh this is time consuming. Honestly, work multiple hours just to finish 1/3 of a chapter.

Puljujärvi is a new low in that. It's bad because the pronunciation is also difficult so you hear things like Puljuchaharvey. Aittokallio ain't super easy either with the double consonants. I'm sure people really dig the double letters.

Thank god my beard has to be shaved like two times a week. I can't grow any manly beastlike beards tho.

Yeah, I don't gotta shave mine much either but when you do you really do, cause it'll look terrible.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My back and both knees hurt, I have a pounding headache, I felt like **** when I woke up this morning, and I had to be at work at 8am.

But the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last night was totally worth it.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Buying boots sucks, it's so expensive but a necessity. Luckily my mom is like on the black market for ski equipment so I can usually find good deals on ski's and boots if needed. I'm gonna need new ski's here next year probably, so if you or AB have any recommendations for all mountain ski's let me know.

My all mountain skis are K2 Apache Recon, circa 2010 or so. I also have a pair of those (older) that are my rock skis. I like this pair - they carve moguls really nicely, though they are a bit heavy.

I'm in the market for a pair of powder skis that are much wider. Since I typically only get 4-5 pow days a year, I'm probably going to buy those used. Maybe this spring/summer.

I got my boots from Larry in Boulder. Three years ago, I struggled massively with boot fit. Tried and returned several pairs. Went to Larry, he fitted me perfectly, and I'm a happy skier! Spent $500+ though.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Larry's is the best boot fitting I've ever had. Worth every penny.

I skied on the Recon's from 2008-2010 or so. Liked that ski quite a bit but it really leaves a lot to be desired in soft snow. I'd look for something that is in the 105-115 range underfoot, with generous tip rocker. More than likely whatever ski you end up buying will become your everyday ski. So, demo a couple pairs before making a decision.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Larry's is the best boot fitting I've ever had. Worth every penny.

I skied on the Recon's from 2008-2010 or so. Liked that ski quite a bit but it really leaves a lot to be desired in soft snow. I'd look for something that is in the 105-115 range underfoot, with generous tip rocker. More than likely whatever ski you end up buying will become your everyday ski. So, demo a couple pairs before making a decision.

Absolutely true. The Recons aren't great in the soft/deep snow.

That said, I'm not at all a fan of really wide skis in the bumps. And I tend to ski those a lot.

Do you guys prefer skiing to snowboarding?

I do, yes. I board a time or two each season, just for the heck of it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Missed a lot over the past few days... I blame work and me deciding to start my kitchen.

Girlfriend broke up with me last night. She's just been pushing me away at every opportunity these past couple weeks. Then her friend died and **** just hit the fan.

Sorry dude. It always sucks to break up, but always plenty of women out there.

This is what I meant. It just seems so unnecessary to combine all three and then call it "soooo amazingz guyz". Like what is the point of cheese curds with fries? They're too small so you have to thrown a **** ton there. And then what gravy? If it is gravy you use for Thanksgiving turkey, that just seems nasty. However, I am that type of dude who thinks turkey gravy doesn't have many uses besides turkey.

It is normally a beef gravy. There is something about the whole combination of fat and salt that just makes poutine amazing. I understand hating it from a health perspective as it is probably one of the worst foods you can eat... but tastewise, gravy, fries, and cheese curds... simply not much better than that.

Poutine is a gift from the gods.

Exactly!

Why does this thread always veer back to poutine? :laugh:

Because poutine is amazing... that and Canadians. :nod:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
My back and both knees hurt, I have a pounding headache, I felt like **** when I woke up this morning, and I had to be at work at 8am.

back hurts -- check
both knees hurt -- check
pounding headache -- check
felt like **** upon waking up -- check

up to there, it just sounds like old age.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

RL, you went into the pit? :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
back hurts -- check
both knees hurt -- check
pounding headache -- check
felt like **** upon waking up -- check

up to there, it just sounds like old age.

I'm getting there Bubba...I'm getting there.

RL, you went into the pit? :laugh:

Nah, all the Floor tickets actually had a seat...so there was no real "mosh pit"...but there was plenty of dancing around as they played...myself included! (it's strange how hearing "Go Robot"--a new single from them, and "Give It Away" live can have that effect on you)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My all mountain skis are K2 Apache Recon, circa 2010 or so. I also have a pair of those (older) that are my rock skis. I like this pair - they carve moguls really nicely, though they are a bit heavy.

I have the Atomic access' 2013 I think? And I really like them, decent at everything, except moguls. Although that may have something to do with my height and ski length. But I really like them in softer deep snow. I demo'd the Nomad's last year and I loved those, seemed really agile for someone 6'6. I've heard really really good things about the Enforcer's and Sage's this year. So I'll have to try and demo those at some point.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Puljujärvi is a new low in that. It's bad because the pronunciation is also difficult so you hear things like Puljuchaharvey. Aittokallio ain't super easy either with the double consonants. I'm sure people really dig the double letters.

Oh boy, the Aittokallio ones. :laugh: Not as good as Pulijaarvi ones tho.

Yeah, I don't gotta shave mine much either but when you do you really do, cause it'll look terrible.

Same here. I look like a 16 year old if I don't shave. Now I look like 18yo. Which is fine cause I'm soon 25..

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Totally worth it :yo: RHCP rocks, would love to see em live.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Nah, all the Floor tickets actually had a seat...so there was no real "mosh pit"...but there was plenty of dancing around as they played...myself included! (it's strange how hearing "Go Robot"--a new single from them, and "Give It Away" live can have that effect on you)

It's a great thing that some long time rock music icons have been able to keep producing good music. Bands like RHCP and the Foo Fighters (granted I've always liked those two a lot) have come out with solid albums fairly recently. Meanwhile, Iron Maiden and AC/DC's most recent albums were tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad