OT: The Avalounge: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb [Special Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Practical? Sure. But not better, dogs are a lot more work but so worth it. Some people just don't have the life style where they can fulfill a dogs needs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Practical? Sure. But not better, dogs are a lot more work but so worth it. Some people just don't have the life style where they can fulfill a dogs needs.

Totally agree. Especially if you get a good friendly dog, there's a reason dogs are mans best friend. Cats just seem mean and boring to me, you can do way more with a dog.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't understand people's need to claim either cats or dogs are just better. Each have their own pros and cons, and it just depends on what you are looking for in a pet.

Just to throw it out there, I suspect the fact that cats are 'low maintenance' leads to improper training and care, and thus 'mean cats'. Poorly behaved dogs are excused as improperly trained, but cats are just brushed off as naturally mean.

I had a cat growing up that knew when I'd get back from elementary school and she'd wait by the front door and then pester me until I'd lay down or sit on the couch so she could lay on me, purring like crazy. We adopted a neighbor's cat that we suspected had been abused (he would never ever meow, or make any sort of noise) and we let him do his own thing, come in and out of the house, and he was the nicest cat you will ever meet.

Cats won't be as in your face loving as dogs, but that certainly doesn't make them boring.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't understand people's need to claim either cats or dogs are just better. Each have their own pros and cons, and it just depends on what you are looking for in a pet.

Just to throw it out there, I suspect the fact that cats are 'low maintenance' leads to improper training and care, and thus 'mean cats'. Poorly behaved dogs are excused as improperly trained, but cats are just brushed off as naturally mean.

I had a cat growing up that knew when I'd get back from elementary school and she'd wait by the front door and then pester me until I'd lay down or sit on the couch so she could lay on me, purring like crazy. We adopted a neighbor's cat that we suspected had been abused (he would never ever meow, or make any sort of noise) and we let him do his own thing, come in and out of the house, and he was the nicest cat you will ever meet.

Cats won't be as in your face loving as dogs, but that certainly doesn't make them boring.

I guess when I say boring, you can't really take a cat out and do things like you can with a dog, like last summer my mom and I took my dod to St Mary's Glacier and he skied and hiked with us. Can't do that with a cat, I also like the in your face love dogs give you. I mean obviously to each there own, I just find dogs much better.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I just LOVE dogs, I like cats but love dogs. They can be running buddies, hiking buddies, whatever. I never really found people arguing cats vs dogs a thing, it's all a personal preference. Growing up I had an amazing Border Collie, and would go to my grandmothers farm where she had a cat that would constantly hiss and try to end my 10 year old life. So me and dogs have been meant to be for a long time.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I guess when I say boring, you can't really take a cat out and do things like you can with a dog, like last summer my mom and I took my dod to St Mary's Glacier and he skied and hiked with us. Can't do that with a cat, I also like the in your face love dogs give you. I mean obviously to each there own, I just find dogs much better.

Which is totally fine. I didn't really mean you (though yeah I used your comments) but just people in general have this crazy disdain for cats and I just don't understand it. It really depends on your tastes and lifestyle. Cats will never be a great companion out of the house, which is why they are good inner city pets (I absolutely hate the idea that people keep their dogs penned up in a condo or apartment). Dogs are great for what you listed.

Honestly I'm just bitter because all of my friends are 'dog people', which in itself is fine, but they feel the need to hate on cats. Or that 'dog people' feel the need to be elitist about it or something. blah

edit: ^ In my experience, with step family that had something of a farm and they kept cats in their warehouse, farm cats are there purely for the purpose of hunting rodents. They aren't trained or loved or anything.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think there's a stigma that cats aren't manly or cool or something like that. And the whole cat lady thing. But there's no stigma about people who have lots of dogs.

I didn't grow up with pets because my mom doesn't like them. So we have a dog and it's my first experience with one. My husband is dying to get a cat tho. I've never had one but I'm willing to see what it's like.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Which is totally fine. I didn't really mean you (though yeah I used your comments) but just people in general have this crazy disdain for cats and I just don't understand it. It really depends on your tastes and lifestyle. Cats will never be a great companion out of the house, which is why they are good inner city pets (I absolutely hate the idea that people keep their dogs penned up in a condo or apartment). Dogs are great for what you listed.

Honestly I'm just bitter because all of my friends are 'dog people', which in itself is fine, but they feel the need to hate on cats. Or that 'dog people' feel the need to be elitist about it or something. blah

edit: ^ In my experience, with step family that had something of a farm and they kept cats in their warehouse, farm cats are there purely for the purpose of hunting rodents. They aren't trained or loved or anything.

It was a house cat. The barn cats? They were straight up crazy :laugh:

I like cats, they can be really cute and sweet, but I could never have one. Mostly cause I'm insanely allergic to them.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

How was St. Mary's Glacier? I've hiked those peaks a number of times, but almost always on the Winter Park/Berthoud Pass side, or on the east side of the divide but more north near Nederland or the train tunnel. Have never been to St. Mary's.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don't know. I've most likely had foods with coriander in it, but I don't use it when I cook. Not sure what it tastes like.

Huh weird. I have a relative that has the cilantro thing - she hates it. But never understood if that carries over to coriander as well since coriander is the seed.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How was St. Mary's Glacier? I've hiked those peaks a number of times, but almost always on the Winter Park/Berthoud Pass side, or on the east side of the divide but more north near Nederland or the train tunnel. Have never been to St. Mary's.

Very cool I recommend it, especially if there's a decent amount of snow there, than you can hike up and ski down on certain parts of it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I know I keep banging the drum for more food talk here, (I have this feeling this might not be the ideal demographic...) but since pho is a passion for some people in here, I thought maybe someone might give me tips for an Asian soup base. I don't normally like or eat a lot of soup but I figure a good Asian soup base might do the trick.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I know I keep banging the drum for more food talk here, (I have this feeling this might not be the ideal demographic...) but since pho is a passion for some people in here, I thought maybe someone might give me tips for an Asian soup base. I don't normally like or eat a lot of soup but I figure a good Asian soup base might do the trick.

Lots of why whice

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I have a song beat stuck into my head, particularly the vocals and drumbeat, but I have no idea who sings it or the band that plays it, or the song name. I swear I have it on my iTunes so I randomly playing songs, but haven't found it so far. E: Found it, it was Three Days Grace which isn't on my iTunes.

Pig bones, true real ramen use bone morrow to make flavouring. I don't know about how big ham is in Finland, but majority of cooks would take bones from a spiral ham and make soup out of it (notably split pea soup in USA). You can also do this with the crustacean shells of shrimp, crab, and lobster if you want to make a fish based stock. Vegetable broth is another alternative for veggie soups like Potato/Leek with others. In Poland we have three very popular soups; red barszcz, white barszcz, and mushroom soup. Red is made from beets and other vegetables for Christmas. White is made with packs of rye, which also makes rye bread for Easter. Mushroom soup is of course made with dried polish mushrooms served with a unique noodle for Christmas as well.

There is also miso ramen which you can Google how to make. One other which I have really enjoyed is Korean soups, they're normally spicy, but **** they're good. One I get has kimchi, chili broth, shredded pork, and eggs in it.

Last edited:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Use oxtail, it is the best soup base for beef soups.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
So I have a song beat stuck into my head, particularly the vocals and drumbeat, but I have no idea who sings it or the band that plays it, or the song name. I swear I have it on my iTunes so I randomly playing songs, but haven't found it so far. E: Found it, it was Three Days Grace which isn't on my iTunes.

Pig bones, true real ramen use bone morrow to make flavouring. I don't know about how big ham is in Finland, but majority of cooks would take bones from a spiral ham and make soup out of it (notably split pea soup in USA). You can also do this with the crustacean shells of shrimp, crab, and lobster if you want to make a fish based stock. Vegetable broth is another alternative for veggie soups like Potato/Leek with others. In Poland we have three very popular soups; red barszcz, white barszcz, and mushroom soup. Red is made from beets and other vegetables for Christmas. White is made with packs of rye, which also makes rye bread for Easter. Mushroom soup is of course made with dried polish mushrooms served with a unique noodle for Christmas as well.

There is also miso ramen which you can Google how to make. One other which I have really enjoyed is Korean soups, they're normally spicy, but **** they're good. One I get has kimchi, chili broth, shredded pork, and eggs in it.
For most Korean soup use the watery runoff at the bottom of a kimchi jar as your soup base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->