OT: The Avalounge: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb [Special Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On BCBS, I think I'll skip that this year, but I will probably pickup some others on Friday/Saturday. I'll be in Denver all day on Saturday so I should have plenty of selection.

On the BF TV's... HDR is the next big thing and I don't think any of the cheaper 4K TVs this year have a good enough color gamut to actually use HDR. The KU6500 that Target and Walmart have cheap is about the best, but the lack of local dimming and color gamut keep the HDR performance way down. The KS8000 that eBay will have on sale is an excellent TV (and has great HDR), but it will be a grand... big difference.

This site has great info on the TVs for black friday:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/black-friday-deals

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
On BCBS, I think I'll skip that this year, but I will probably pickup some others on Friday/Saturday. I'll be in Denver all day on Saturday so I should have plenty of selection.

On the BF TV's... HDR is the next big thing and I don't think any of the cheaper 4K TVs this year have a good enough color gamut to actually use HDR. The KU6500 that Target and Walmart have cheap is about the best, but the lack of local dimming and color gamut keep the HDR performance way down. The KS8000 that eBay will have on sale is an excellent TV (and has great HDR), but it will be a grand... big difference.

Thank you for this post! Reminded me I need to keep on the lookout for a new TV...hoping to have a 4K setup and PS4 Pro by the time Horizon comes out.

Do you have any recommendations for something in the $300- $500 range? Got my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40KU6300-40-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01DUTL4OI

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I picked this TV up when I still worked at best Buy for $875 (and the Xbox One S since it has a 4K Blu Ray drive), and I LOVE it. Just got the HW-K450 soundbar to go with it for $147 from an Early Access Black Friday sale at Best Buy and it hooked up like a dream.

I definitely wanted a 4K TV with HDR as my next purchase. Next up is buying some movies on 4K (I've got some, but am being a bit careful on what to choose...I hear Disney is jumping in on the 4K Blu train starting next year, and I can only imagine that their Pixar films and movies like Dr. Strange would look phenomenal in 4K with HDR).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Thank you for this post! Reminded me I need to keep on the lookout for a new TV...hoping to have a 4K setup and PS4 Pro by the time Horizon comes out.

Do you have any recommendations for something in the $300- $500 range? Got my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40KU6300-40-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01DUTL4OI

The 6300 series is a really good overall TV (It is my bedroom TV and I have my 360 hooked up to it). My only complaints are the color gamut for HDR and the lack of local dimming. But to get those you are spending at least double.

I picked this TV up when I still worked at best Buy for $875 (and the Xbox One S since it has a 4K Blu Ray drive), and I LOVE it. Just got the HW-K450 soundbar to go with it for $147 from an Early Access Black Friday sale at Best Buy and it hooked up like a dream.

I definitely wanted a 4K TV with HDR as my next purchase. Next up is buying some movies on 4K (I've got some, but am being a bit careful on what to choose...I hear Disney is jumping in on the 4K Blu train starting next year, and I can only imagine that their Pixar films and movies like Dr. Strange would look phenomenal in 4K with HDR).

I haven't upgraded my main TV because I'm putting some hope in the OLEDs fall in price next year. If they don't, I'm going to definately be buying a KS8000. It is going to be hard giving up my plasma though... still upset that technology went away.

BTW this title is GOAT.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The 6300 series is a really good overall TV (It is my bedroom TV and I have my 360 hooked up to it). My only complaints are the color gamut for HDR and the lack of local dimming. But to get those you are spending at least double.

I haven't upgraded my main TV because I'm putting some hope in the OLEDs fall in price next year. If they don't, I'm going to definately be buying a KS8000. It is going to be hard giving up my plasma though... still upset that technology went away.

BTW this title is GOAT.

I wanted an OLED but couldn't afford that price (well, I COULD, but it would've taken nice chunk of my savings, and who wants to do that?)...and I'm very happy with the KS8000 (though part of me wishes I would've went with the curved screen, but I didn't, oh well, c'est la vie) and now the recent upgrade to my soundbar (since they're both Samsung it was a very easy connection).

Current 4K movies I've got are:
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (haven't watched yet)
-Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (looks phenomenal)
-Ghostbusters [2016] (yeah, yeah, yeah...I know it has it's detractors, but I liked the movie overall and it looks great in 4K)
-Star Trek Beyond (REALLY excited to watch this in 4K, saw it in the theater and really liked it)

I'm hoping to pick up BvS during Best Buy's sale on 4K discs, and I have Suicide Squad and Magnificent 7 on order. I'm really pumped though about the rumors that Disney is jumping in on 4K next year, they got some titles that should look nice in 4K with HDR (as I said previously, the Marvel and Pixar movies should really pop). And I saw something a couple of days ago that some of the Harry Potter movies will be out in 4K next year, coinciding with the release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Now all I have to do is hope The Dark Knight trilogy gets a release :amazed:

(And yeah, I had to put a title in ;))

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Special editions of the lounge huh? Coooool.

6cOSVuh.png

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I didn't know the one s had a 4K drive. I've been looking at stand alone 4K players and they're still $300 right now. Probably worth it to just upgrade the Xbox at that point.

I'd love to get some 4K blue rays. My only source right now is amazon and Netflix. Not bad, but local is always better than streaming.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah I have a very hard time justifying the LG B6 price tag... especially in 65" since I refuse to downgrade from my 60". If it was half, I'd jump on it right away. I'll probably end up with a KS8000 (or a Vizio P series) when they hit clearance this spring and I give up on OLEDs coming down in price (I mean I have to prepare for the Scorpio).

I don't think I will be a buyer of 4K BluRays. As much as I love physical media for games, I despise it for shows and movies. I know it makes no sense. :laugh:

I really want HDR for gaming more than anything.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
So...here's the deal.. I have an old Samsung plasma that I bought in 2006 that's finally giving up the ghost Question is....what do I replace it with? A 4K from Costco or is there a better idea?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I think I'll wait until spring to deal with a new tv. I'm trying to prioritize paying my car loan off as quick as possible and saving to buy my own place. Those seem a hell of a lot more important than a tv. That said, if my raise or bonus come in bigger than expected, and a can't miss deal comes along post Christmas, than it could be too tempting.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Since I didn't have any drama to drop during the last thread...

My girlfriends mom is in town and all the sudden we are having issues. She is clearly bothered by something but won't tell me what's up. I really enjoy hanging out with her mother and have been spending a lot of time with them both. But, last night she was just acting so weird. We got a little drunk and were hanging out with some friends of mine who dropped in unexpected. She just wouldn't interact with them and was clearly unhappy about having to share my time.

Last time her mom came to town we barely spoke for two weeks and ended up breaking up. I can't help but notice the trend. They both leave tomorrow for the next 5 days... so I guess I just should leave it alone until she's back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

Seriously though... don't worry about it or make a big deal of it. If she is weird after, then dive into the issue. If not, it might have been just a weird time for her.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
giphy.gif

Seriously though... don't worry about it or make a big deal of it. If she is weird after, then dive into the issue. If not, it might have been just a weird time for her.

I'm trying not to but this morning she was clearly really frustrated. I tried a couple times to figure out why but she wouldn't even tell me. I just want to understand why she is mad at me so I can work on it, not be completely in the dark about what to do.

Anyways. Yay. Relationship drama is good for the Avalounge at least.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm probably the last one that should give advice in that area, but I find it just irritates women more when you force the issue. Maybe it is my DGAF attitude, but either they get over it, or bring it up later. At some point it will come out. I'd probably press in a couple weeks, but right now, just have a ham sandwich and be patient.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm probably the last one that should give advice in that area, but I find it just irritates women more when you force the issue. Maybe it is my DGAF attitude, but either they get over it, or bring it up later. At some point it will come out. I'd probably press in a couple weeks, but right now, just have a ham sandwich and be patient.

Made me think of this.

Edit: crap what you do you have to add the YouTube brackets to get the videos to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad