The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I dont think max lappeiree will be back., maybe gillis finds another decent forth liner or groom the kids in the role

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I dont think max lappeiree will be back., maybe gillis finds another decent forth liner or groom the kids in the role

Gillis has not been the best at finding decent fourth liners, to say the least, I would rather lappy then the devil I dont know.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
One of either Gaunce or Horvat makes this team.

My bet is Gaunce unless Horvat comes in and blows the doors off.

Gillis keeps mentioning Lain but I don't think that kid amounts to much atleats in the foreseeable future.

I also find it interesting that Gillis doesn't mention Schroeder much. Maybe it's just that they expect him to be on the 3C role? That or maybe if they can bring someone else in via FA, the FA and Gaunce/Lain with flip back and forth between 3/4C spot and Schroeder may be trade bait.

We shall see.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I really wish Gillis would address these Edler rumours fully ... they are getting a bit out of hand.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Edler were going to get traded, it would have been (and should have been) at the Draft.

If he were to have been dealt to Tampa for say the #3, then the Canucks draft Jones.

However, since his NTC has already kicked in and the Draft has passed, I just don't see it happening unless a defenseman is coming back at a minimum.

I.e. Connolly and Brewer + from TBay or Cowan and Smith from Ottawa

StringerBell

If Edler were going to get traded, it would have been (and should have been) at the Draft.

If he were to have been dealt to Tampa for say the #3, then the Canucks draft Jones.

However, since his NTC has already kicked in and the Draft has passed, I just don't see it happening unless a defenseman is coming back at a minimum.

Two gross offers.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Bolded is a pretty sweet package. I might be on board for that one. Two young guys who can fill in spots for us next season. Or something around Couturier and Coburn out of Philly.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I haven't heard much about Clowe. When he was traded, Vancouver was on his short list. He may be a viable option for a UFA signing. I know he wanted a lucrative longterm deal, but maybe he'd be willing to take a 1 year deal and wait for the cap to go up next season before signing.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

Sedin-Sedin-Ryder
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Guance-Kassian

I would sign Schroeder to a one year deal 1M. Then Guance and Horvat battle for third line center and Jensen and Shinkaruk battle for second line left wing.

2015 (A deep year)

Sedin-Sedin-Ryder
Jensen-Kesler-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian
Higgins-Guance-Weise

Expect the third line to steal the 2nd line. Another line that interests me is:

Jensen-Horvat-Shinkaruk

Would Shinkaruk work on the right wing??

Last edited:

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Where did you get the money to sign Ryder?

He made 3.5M last season and is probably going to get 4M easily.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Where did you get the money to sign Ryder?

He made 3.5M last season and is probably going to get 4M easily.

Watch me work it with capgeek hold on a second.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
2014 lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Micheal Ryder ($4.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.800m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,409,444; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $53,056

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
2015 lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Micheal Ryder ($4.000m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.925m) / Bo Horvat ($0.925m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,072,778; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,389,722

We are going to have to try and keep the contracts long and cheap until the Sedins have to retire because Shinkaruk and Horvat are pretty much our leaders after the Sedin's are gone. I think we should go for a lottery pick this year so then we have other players to back up these guys other than Kesler and Burrows because they aren't going to be there forever with there top of the line game.

Last edited:

StringerBell

Yup, not even a 1st thrown in.

Smith + Cowen + 1st is something that perks the interest, but I don't think is anywhere close enough to what I'd take for Edler.

Still not interested. Would want some of their young forward talent and then try to pry Ellis out of Nashville for Schroeder.

Van: Zibanejad, Lazar, Ellis
Ott: Edler
Nsh: Schroeder

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yup, not even a 1st thrown in.

Smith + Cowen + 1st is something that perks the interest, but I don't think is anywhere close enough to what I'd take for Edler.

Heh. I must like Cowen and Smith too much because I'd be mighty tempted by that one.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan

Sedin-Sedin-Ryder
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Guance-Kassian

I would sign Schroeder to a one year deal 1M. Then Guance and Horvat battle for third line center and Jensen and Shinkaruk battle for second line left wing.

2015 (A deep year)

Sedin-Sedin-Ryder
Jensen-Kesler-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian
Higgins-Guance-Weise

Jensen-Horvat-Shinkaruk

Jensen plays RW as a LHS so I don't think you would need to swap them places.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Still not interested. Would want some of their young forward talent and then try to pry Ellis out of Nashville for Schroeder.

Van: Zibanejad, Lazar, Ellis
Ott: Edler
Nsh: Schroeder

Nashville gets robbed. Take Ellis and Schroeder out of the equation; and replace Lazar with Ceci since Ott would need to hang on to some center prospect depth if zib was gone.

Then at least only Ottawa is being robbed.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,409,444; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $53,056

Next one coming up in a second.

That's not going to work. 23 skaters is what most teams run.

Gilman might be able work some LTIR magic however it looks like we're unable to add anything more than 1-2M for upgrades.

StringerBell

Nashville gets robbed. Take Ellis and Schroeder out of the equation; and replace Lazar with Ceci since Ott would need to hang on to some center prospect depth if zib was gone.

Then at least only Ottawa is being robbed.

Ottawa isn't getting robbed. They're getting an all-star defenseman in his prime on a longterm, sweetheart deal and all they're giving up is a young top 6 forward and a prospect who projects to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener in 3-4 years. Ottawa would still have Spezza-Turris-Pageau-Smith for center depth too.

Nashville might not be interested, but I think it's close. They're getting a small center with question marks on his NHL upside for a small defenseman with question marks on his NHL upside. Both of them were 2009 first round draft picks and neither have been able to stick in the NHL since. I think they're both pretty comparable prospects, and the deal fills a team need for both of us.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
My bet is Gaunce unless Horvat comes in and blows the doors off.

Gillis keeps mentioning Lain but I don't think that kid amounts to much atleats in the foreseeable future.

I also find it interesting that Gillis doesn't mention Schroeder much. Maybe it's just that they expect him to be on the 3C role? That or maybe if they can bring someone else in via FA, the FA and Gaunce/Lain with flip back and forth between 3/4C spot and Schroeder may be trade bait.

We shall see.

I noticed that as well. Schroeder doesn't seem to be on Gillis' lips these days. Maybe he has fallen out of favor, but he seems to be an after thought. I'd like to convert him to wing for Kesler's line. He suited that role with JVR and Wilson at the U20s.

Even if Horvat has an amazing camp, I don't want him up here. He picked up the offense in the second half and more so in the playoffs, but he has a great opportunity to really work on that part of his game in London this year. Hunter and London is a factory for producing NHL talent. They host the Memorial Cup this year, so he could go through that and the WJC and probably captain his team. That is way more valuable for his development than learning the ropes in the NHL.

Shinkaruk has had 3 full WHL years, so if anyone was ready to graduate, I'd go with him. I'm 50/50 on Gaunce coming up. Patience and proper development are uber important to me, and I hope the team feels the same. Lets not Columbus out first really good prospects we've had in years.

arsmaster*

Heh. I must like Cowen and Smith too much because I'd be mighty tempted by that one.

I like them as players too. You just don't move a top pairing caliber defensman for bottom 6 help and a solid young dman.

That's black coffee right there, I need some cream, sugar, and maybe a cookie to dunk in it too.

Quality beats quantity every time.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Ottawa isn't getting robbed. They're getting an all-star defenseman in his prime on a longterm, sweetheart deal and all they're giving up is a young top 6 forward and a prospect who projects to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener in 3-4 years. Ottawa would still have Spezza-Turris-Pageau-Smith for center depth too.
Maybe I'm off on my valuation of Zibenajad and how Ottawa would rate him. I'd do the deal (preferably swap Lazar with Ceci), but I think Ott fans would hate it.

Nashville might not be interested, but I think it's close. They're getting a small center with question marks on his NHL upside for a small defenseman with question marks on his NHL upside. Both of them were 2009 first round draft picks and neither have been able to stick in the NHL since. I think they're both pretty comparable prospects, and the deal fills a team need for both of us.
Ah, I was thinking of Josi, not Ellis. My mistake.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I like them as players too. You just don't move a top pairing caliber defensman for bottom 6 help and a solid young dman.

That's black coffee right there, I need some cream, sugar, and maybe a cookie to dunk in it too.

Quality beats quantity every time.

Ask any Ottawa fan and Cowan was their best defenseman all year when Karlsson was down. He's their #2 when Karlsson is back.

He just turned 22, is 6'5 and an all-round player.

I honestly don't think Ottawa would even included him in any deal.

If Gillis was offered Cowen and Mika, he should accept it as soon as possible.

I understand Canucks fans are high on Edler but with his back issues and Cowen's potential ontop of what he already is would be too good to pass up especially in a Cap world.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Sedin-Sedin-Ryder
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Guance-Kassian

2015 (A deep year)

Sedin-Sedin-Ryder
Jensen-Kesler-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian
Higgins-Guance-Weise

Jensen-Horvat-Shinkaruk

Jensen can play both wings effectively if I'm not mistaken. He's listed as a RW, and he shoots left. It's exciting to look at your line-ups on paper, but I think they are all best case scenario and not really realistic.

StringerBell

Maybe I'm off on my valuation of Zibenajad and how Ottawa would rate him. I'd do the deal (preferably swap Lazar with Ceci), but I think Ott fans would hate it.

Ah, I was thinking of Josi, not Ellis. My mistake.

Hah. Probably not. We all tend to overrate prospects here so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they hate it. It also might just not make sense for them, but I think the value (blue chip prospect + 1st rounder) is very fair. And yeah, if we could get Josi for Schroeder it would be a heck of a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad