The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
At this point I would definitely opt out of spending anything bigger than bare minimum contracts to our fourth line. Give Lain/Pinizzotto a chance and/or maybe offer Regin or Yip a minimum contract, maybe even bring in a minimum wage back-up for cap purposes. Then again Weise on the RW and Sestito as the 13th guy seem done so no need for another RW. Lain and Regin with the off chance of Gaunce breaking out would be my way. That way we might have a chance of using the savings for a Top 6 guy. Maybe. Weber on the other hand would seem like a viable option, as Blum would be too expensive.

I don't get why people think Blum will be too expensive. The guy has done absolutely nothing since being drafted.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I completely agree, but I wouldn't go over $2M per year for him.
My biggest concern is that we haven't heard much about the Canucks being interested in him, and that the Canucks have a lot of interest in Hendricks (who can play center). Don't get me wrong, I hope we can get both of them, but Gordon is a much bigger need.

IMO, Gordon is going to be a pretty highly sought after commodity. I think we'd have better luck going for someone like David Steckel - not as strong a player, but a demon on faceoffs and he's a big body.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
IMO, Gordon is going to be a pretty highly sought after commodity. I think we'd have better luck going for someone like David Steckel - not as strong a player, but a demon on faceoffs and he's a big body.

While I wouldn't mind Steckel at all as our 4th line center, the reason why I'd much prefer Gordon is that he can be used as a 3rd line center if there are injuries or Schroeder struggles.

I'd probably be willing to pony up 4 years, $2M per for Gordon (with a limited/partial NTC).

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Steckel is the perfect mentor for Lain, just have them swap out between LW and C.

Lain-Steckel-Weise

arsmaster*

I don't get why people think Blum will be too expensive. The guy has done absolutely nothing since being drafted.

Constant regression over the past 3 years, the only reason he drew into as many NHL games as he did this year, was because Nashville essentially tanked and ran with an AHL squad to finish the season.

I know we love former Giants and such, but this kid hasn't taken the next step, in a situation that was pretty much handed to him.

I actually prefer Yannick Weber as the target, as he's a bit stockier and has a better track record of production at the NHL level.

At worst Weber I think can be a top producer at the AHL level, something I don't think Blum can do.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Steckel is the perfect mentor for Lain, just have them swap out between LW and C.

Lain-Steckel-Weise

Two guys that could play an entire season without scoring a goal. No thanks. Lain should be in the AHL for a year. He has given no indication he's ready for an NHL spot. Steckel is a one trick pony. Once he wins a draw he can do little else to affect the play.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Two guys that could play an entire season without scoring a goal. No thanks. Lain should be in the AHL for a year. He has given no indication he's ready for an NHL spot. Steckel is a one trick pony. Once he wins a draw he can do little else to affect the play.

Agreed. The Canucks need to fill one of the 3C/4C positions with a veteran, from where I sit. As it looks like Jordan Schroeder is going to be in the 3C spot until such time as he loses it, our target should be a veteran fourth line center.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Constant regression over the past 3 years, the only reason he drew into as many NHL games as he did this year, was because Nashville essentially tanked and ran with an AHL squad to finish the season.

I know we love former Giants and such, but this kid hasn't taken the next step, in a situation that was pretty much handed to him.

I actually prefer Yannick Weber as the target, as he's a bit stockier and has a better track record of production at the NHL level.

At worst Weber I think can be a top producer at the AHL level, something I don't think Blum can do.

There's a certain profile we are after for the 3RD spot as I think most agree having Corrado in that spot puts him a heartbeat away from the second pairing. We need a PMD with experience that ideally can play on the second unit PP.

There's going to be warts because you are going to sign them for close to or under a million. Some may not be puck movers. Some may not be young. Here are the right side D-men that may be available for cheap.

Puck Movers and Tweeners
Michael Roszival
Ian White
Joe Corvo
Jon Blum
Yannick Weber
Steve Eminger
Alex Sulzer
Mike Kostka
Anton Babchuk
Bobby Sanguinetti

Physical Right Side D
Mike Komisarek
Ryan O'Byrne

StringerBell

Really stupid to let Lapierre go unless we're sure we can get a top end fourth liner, IMO

Most of the names mentioned are worse

Depends on contact demands. If he's holding out for a 3-4 year deal I'll take a cheaper inferior player instead.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Whole lotta supply and not much demand this year with the cap crunch in regards to FA. Teams are going to be cutting more players in the next couple of days to really take a run at some of the big guns.

Realistically Gillis won't be in those talks, but as the summer progresses it's looking like there is going to be a whole lot of talented depth players that will have to take big paycuts to stay in the league for 13-14. I see a lot of 1 year deals being tossed out there.

If Schroeder is slotting at #3 I think Boyd Gordon or a guy like Zack Smith from Ottawa is the type of 4th line C the team needs. Can play major PK minutes and big defensive assignments. Would allow for something like Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen during O-Zone starts and Higgins-Gordon-Hansen in their own end. I'm crossing my fingers Lain stays in the AHL until he proves himself, he didn't look good there last year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The only thing we do is pickup Hendricks imo. Probably pick up a 6th guy out of left field, and possibly re-sign Alberts as a 7th defenceman.

One thing I do agree with is Beach Clean's idea of surrounding Kesler with players that will get the most out of him, so the team will look something like

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder/Gaunce - Hansen
Hendricks - Lain - Weise
Sestito / Jensen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Mystery man - Tanev
Alberts

Luongo
Lack

Honestly with a disgruntled, prominent player on the team, and the new division, I feel that making the playoffs is going to be a challenge.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Wow, the Leafs are buying out Grabovski (if he doesn't get claimed). I cant help but laugh if they sign Bozak to a $5+ mil contract. :laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Belanger is also being bought out. He could be another cheap 4th line center/13th forward.

arsmaster*

Wow, the Leafs are buying out Grabovski (if he doesn't get claimed). I cant help but laugh if they sign Bozak to a $5+ mil contract. :laugh:

Oh man, I can't wipe this **** eating grin off my face now.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Wow, I don't know how the Canucks could do it but I hope they can find some way to fit Grabovski in. He's probably the best centre on the market, but because he's coming off a bad luck down year, he'll likely be underpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad