The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I can definitely see the Canucks targeting Iginla, although some moves would need to be made.

As a depth forward (12th/13th guy), I wonder about Brandon Yip? Local product, big frame with a willingness to use it, and can periodically chip in some offence?

I hope so, but getting rid of Booth does not seem to be something Gillis wants to do. Never mind if we could even find a taker.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Does anyone know why the Preds are buying out S Kost? I really like his game, would love to have him on the bottom 6.

heard he wants to go back and play with is brother in the KHL. Not 100% though.

Edit - so realistically, with the cap space that we have, we will probably go into next season with almost the same roster we did this season save for a Hendricks instead of Lapierre kind of scenario?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
heard he wants to go back and play with is brother in the KHL. Not 100% though.

Edit - so realistically, with the cap space that we have, we will probably go into next season with almost the same roster we did this season save for a Hendricks instead of Lapierre kind of scenario?

Yup. Also a downgrade in goal.

And no 3rd line C to speak of as of yet - I think Schroeder is a horrible 3rd line C.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yup. Also a downgrade in goal.

And no 3rd line C to speak of as of yet - I think Schroeder is a horrible 3rd line C.

I think you're wrong and that Schroeder is a strong candidate for our 3C position, and I don't see a downgrade in goal. Did Luongo get injured or something?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
and we are going to be in a tougher division. not liking this at all...

Still would've made the playoffs easily this past season even if you take out all the games from the NW division.

Might not win the division title again - but it'll be nice going as an underdog in a playoff series.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
I think you're wrong and that Schroeder is a strong candidate for our 3C position, and I don't see a downgrade in goal. Did Luongo get injured or something?

The offense (the BIG area I was hoping to get fixed) has not been touched at all. We need a better winger for the second line.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The offense (the BIG area I was hoping to get fixed) has not been touched at all.
PP coach gone + Kesler being here at the start = (hopefully) means more points. Also the there's got to be an effect (again, hopefully) from less penalties taken by the club (something AV's Canuck coached teams seemed to get alot of).

Henrik To Daniel

Jun 16, 2012
Burnaby
PP coach may be gone but he's been replaced by two guys that have coached some of the worst powerplay teams in the league the past couple of years

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The offense (the BIG area I was hoping to get fixed) has not been touched at all. We need a better winger for the second line.

Sooner or later a prospect has to make an impact on our offence or we are going to be regressing or standing still. We need one, but preferably two, of Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce or one of the new guys to step up. When was the last time we had a prospect at forward make much of a contribution, ignoring the run that Hodgson was on to increase his trade value. In a cap world you need some contribution from prospects.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Even if you think Luongo will match the numbers Schneider would've put up, going from Luongo or Schneider as the backup to Lack or some journeyman is going to represent a significant downgrade in net.

If you replaced Schneider's goaltending over the last 3 years with a .910 goalie (which is far from a safe bet with a backup goalie) the Canucks would've lost 14, 25, and 15 goals off of their goal differential in the last 3 years.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
PP coach may be gone but he's been replaced by two guys that have coached some of the worst powerplay teams in the league the past couple of years
With respect to this past season - Dallas had a better PP and the Rangers were about the same as ours. I'd argue Brown had more to work with than the other two guys as well (our PP was great/solid BEFORE he got here).

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Would the Canucks bring back Willie Mitchell at a million? He seems like he would be perfect under Torts. Blocks shots, win at all cost type of player.

arsmaster*

Would the Canucks bring back Willie Mitchell at a million? He seems like he would be perfect under Torts. Blocks shots, win at all cost type of player.

He's under contract with the Kings for $3.5m for this year.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I actually hope the Canucks don't pursue any medium-big name players at the start of free agency. What we should pursue right away are young guys that aren't waiver eligible (Blum, Weber etc) to fill out our depth. Once we hit mid-July. I expect a lot of good players will suddenly be more willing to take cheap one-year deals to tide them over until the cap goes back up.

Hopefully at that point we can pick up one or two of Ferrence, Corvo, Rozsival, Fistric, Whitney, White, Scuderi, Zidlicky, Gilroy, Murray, O'Byrne, Alberts, Schultz, and Hainsey for cheap.

Similarly, there are lots of tweener forwards that should come very cheap, which may allow us to pursue a player or two in the $1.5M-2.5M range (Antropov, Roy, MacArthur, Raymond, Pouliot, Morrow, Gagne, Clowe, Ryder, Cullen, Mueller, Hejduk, Stalberg).

Outside99*

Would be happy signing any one of these guys on Friday-M Fisteric -d-,J Smithson M Halischuk,J Shultz,R O Byrne,D Clarkson,dont think we will sign Iggy.But if he will take a 2 or 3 year contract,im all for it

Not obyrne, there's a reason he's always getting traded and scratched.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Matt Hendricks ($1.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
/ Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Frank Corrado ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,802,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,497,222

With Corrado as the 7th D, I haven't signed a 3rd pairing LD. But what I wanted to address is how everyone is so worried about the "ho-hum" nature of skating basically the same group next year. Here's why that isn't so bad:

A) The prospect pool just went from 6 to midnight, which if handled correctly, could mean a much longer "window"
B) Vigneault's message had clearly gone stale, Torts should provide the opposite
C) Kesler missed 31/48 games and Booth missed 36 - Bieksa missed 12 games too
D) Tanev, Corrado, Weise, Kassian and Schroeder are all a year older, and none of our "old" players are "danger-zone old" (35+)
E) Vancouver still won the division last year

I think it would be great if something transpired to get us a top-6 winger upgrade on Booth. Or maybe a Bieksa for very-good-winger move. But next summer, we should be getting the Sedins for cheaper, the cap should go up, and the Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen and Gaunce group should produce one or more who is at least ready to push at the starting roster. This might be a bit of a bridge year for us, but still almost certainly a playoff year. That's a position many franchises would envy.

arsmaster*

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
/ Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Frank Corrado ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------

With Corrado as the 7th D, I haven't signed a 3rd pairing LD. But what I wanted to address is how everyone is so worried about the "ho-hum" nature of skating basically the same group next year. Here's why that isn't so bad:

A) The prospect pool just went from 6 to midnight, which if handled correctly, could mean a much longer "window"
B) Vigneault's message had clearly gone stale, Torts should provide the opposite
D) Tanev, Corrado, Weise, Kassian and Schroeder are all a year older, and none of our "old" players are "danger-zone old" (35+)

I think it would be great if something transpired to get us a top-6 winger upgrade on Booth. Or maybe a Bieksa for very-good-winger move. But next summer, we should be getting the Sedins for cheaper, the cap should go up, and the Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen and Gaunce group should produce one or more who is at least ready to push at the starting roster. This might be a bit of a bridge year for us, but still almost certainly a playoff year. That's a position many franchises would envy.

Pretty much feel the exact same way.

Outside99*

I can definitely see the Canucks targeting Iginla, although some moves would need to be made.

As a depth forward (12th/13th guy), I wonder about Brandon Yip? Local product, big frame with a willingness to use it, and can periodically chip in some offence?

Yip had a pretty good playoff for the Preds a couple of years ago as a 4th line energy guy. Probably an upgrade on Weise and Sestito hockey wise.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
/ Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Frank Corrado ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------

I'd add in one more thing.

No goaltending controversey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad