The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
- sign Boyd Gordon for 4C. He should be a focus. He is exactly what we need, and covet, in that spot. Perfect Malhotra replacement.
- sign Matt Hendricks and Brandon Yip to play on 4W. Hendricks I've chosen here because he is a blood and guts, heart-and-sould type player, the kind that you NEED on your fourth line if you're gonna go anywhere in the playoffs. I've chosen Yip because he seems like the perfect Gillis signing; local kid, coming off of a couple down years, some offensive upside and potential, and can be had for cheap.
- Yannick Weber is an RHD with some offensive upside to sign for the 6/7D spot, platooning with Corrado.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Matt Hendricks ($1.250m) / Boyd Gordon ($2.100m) / Brandon Yip ($0.700m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Yannick Weber ($0.900m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,252,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $47,222

Depressing - not your choices, of which I'm fine with (really like Hendrichs); just that even with Gillis' stick handling over the last few days, we have so little wriggle room. Oh right, so many people still think the 'window' beckons... Just like day the market crashed in '29...

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is he trying to make sure he gets an offer sheet from NYR....?

EDIT: I don't see the tweet where he offers anything but his own opinion. Am I looking in the wrong place?

EDIT2: And then he tweets later "not more than $2M". Ok, that's better.

Tanev is going to come in under Leddy. Another player to compare what they get is Brenden Smith out of Detroit. All bridge contracts I suspect. The Josi thing skewed things a bit but they seem to have settled down for bridge D.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Someone posted this on the Main Board. Not a CBA expert so wondering if it were true?

Interesting new feature in CBA is that teams, can use bonus cushion (7.5% of cap), to go over cap when signing players who are eligible for 35+ contracts. This means a team like Vancouver can in fact afford him.

In the Iginla thread.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Someone posted this in the Iginla-Thread on the FA board:
Interesting new feature in CBA is that teams, can use bonus cushion (7.5% of cap), to go over cap when signing players who are eligible for 35+ contracts. This means a team like Vancouver can in fact afford him.

Can any of you number-crunching wizards figure out how this could work?

I'm really getting my hopes up right now...

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Well the total on the 7.5% is $4.8 mil... so I guess technically it means you can exceed the cap by $4.8 mil if you assign that to a 35+ signed contract... ?

I haven't read that in the CBA but I guess that's what that means.

That does make Iginla a possibility on the Nucks and most cap strapped teams if it's actually an option.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Gillis has the option to take Tanev to arbitration, right? He dealt with Wellwood through arbitration. I think there was someone else, too, Hansen? Anyway, I think he might opt for this, if the player has family advice.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
So what is up with the Edler situation anyway? They sign him to a long term extension, and a couple months later they are shopping him? Were they that unimpressed with him in the playoffs? Has he requested a trade? Was he re-signed merely to retain an asset, and if so, why the NTC? What happened to MG's respect for NTC's? I find the whole situation puzzling.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Well the total on the 7.5% is $4.8 mil... so I guess technically it means you can exceed the cap by $4.8 mil if you assign that to a 35+ signed contract... ?

I haven't read that in the CBA but I guess that's what that means.

That does make Iginla a possibility on the Nucks and most cap strapped teams if it's actually an option.
Still bonuses that exceed the current year's cap, will count against the following year's cap, right?
So, we'd be handcuffed next year then, if the cap doesn't rise high enough?

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Isn't this the same as the old CBA? Players who are 35+ who sign 1 year deals are eligible for bonuses, and bonuses can be hidden under the bonus cushion.

That's what it looks like to me, with a quick glance through the CBA. Not sure Iginla wants to be signing 1 year deals and wants non-guaranteed money.

Still bonuses that exceed the current year's cap, will count against the following year's cap, right?
So, we'd be handcuffed next year then, if the cap doesn't rise high enough?

It's a calculated risk. Is it better to have a 64M cap this year and 70M cap next year, or do you want to borrow 3M now and run with a 67M cap both years? There are a few factors at play that you have to consider.

1) Will Iginla push us over the top now?
2) Will we have some rookies in 2 years (Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen) that won't be ready next year? That could make up for any penalties we accrue next year.
3) Same as above, will players like the Sedins be willing to take paycuts to help us straddle the cap beyond next year?
4) Will Iginla have other effects on the roster aside from helping us this year? He seems like the ultimate mentor for Kassian, is he worth the cap penalties?
5) What's the chance the cap stagnates? If it stays at 64M and we have 3M in penalties, we'd be down to a 61M in 2014-2015, which might be brutal.

Lots to consider.

Last edited:

StringerBell

Gillis has the option to take Tanev to arbitration, right? He dealt with Wellwood through arbitration. I think there was someone else, too, Hansen? Anyway, I think he might opt for this, if the player has family advice.

No, players coming off their ELC aren't eligible for arbitration. The other player was Raymond.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Isn't this the same as the old CBA? Players who are 35+ who sign 1 year deals are eligible for bonuses, and bonuses can be hidden under the bonus cushion.

That's what it looks like to me, with a quick glance through the CBA. Not sure Iginla wants to be signing 1 year deals and wants non-guaranteed money.

It's a calculated risk. Is it better to have a 64M cap this year and 70M cap next year, or do you want to borrow 3M now and run with a 67M cap both years? There are a few factors at play that you have to consider.

1) Will Iginla push us over the top now?
2) Will we have some rookies in 2 years (Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen) that won't be ready next year? That could make up for any penalties we accrue next year.
3) Same as above, will players like the Sedins be willing to take paycuts to help us straddle the cap beyond next year?
4) Will Iginla have other effects on the roster aside from helping us this year? He seems like the ultimate mentor for Kassian, is he worth the cap penalties?
5) What's the chance the cap stagnates? If it stays at 64M and we have 3M in penalties, we'd be down to a 61M in 2014-2015, which might be brutal.

Lots to consider.
Lots of good thoughts. Thanks.

As for the bolded part, that's a pretty crucial point, since Kassian becomes a RFA after next season. Giving his development an extra push might go a long ways.

Another factor to be considered (as someone - I think it was Junior Nelson - mentioned on the FA board) is, how much Iginla would help in the often mentioned identity building or culture change. Given the Canucks' reputation someone like Iggy would work wonders for the team's integrity, pretty much like Linden did back in the day.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
When do players of Tanev's caliber ever get offer sheeted? People need to get that idea out of their heads. In a regular year it's unlikely, but a very slim possibility. In a year where teams are trying to shed cap space, marginally priced players are getting bought out, and there will likely be a surplus of established players available for cheap I just can't see a team giving up picks as well as over paying a #5 defenseman who COULD be capable of stepping into the top 4 this season.

The best place to offersheet is the no comp range. If you find a team like ours, you can overpay by 50 percent and force a team to walk away. I'm quite convinced he'll get one.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Iginla is slowing down, but can still be effective given the right situation. If he's willing to take $4.8M on a bonus laden one year deal, he would be a good pick-up especially if we use this '7.5% of the cap' bonus cushion loophole for 35+ players. If he goes for $6M+ though, someone is drastically overpaying. I'm not holding my breath he lands here. Pittsburgh has to be the front-runner unless they have moved on from him.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Matt Hendricks ($1.250m) / Boyd Gordon ($2.100m) / Brandon Yip ($0.700m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Yannick Weber ($0.900m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

At this point I would definitely opt out of spending anything bigger than bare minimum contracts to our fourth line. Give Lain/Pinizzotto a chance and/or maybe offer Regin or Yip a minimum contract, maybe even bring in a minimum wage back-up for cap purposes. Then again Weise on the RW and Sestito as the 13th guy seem done so no need for another RW. Lain and Regin with the off chance of Gaunce breaking out would be my way. That way we might have a chance of using the savings for a Top 6 guy. Maybe. Weber on the other hand would seem like a viable option, as Blum would be too expensive.

KiwiNucksFan

Dive Dive Dive
Feb 19, 2013
Auckland
For those curious about the bonus cushion, flyers faithful explains it pretty well here:

http://flyersfaithful.com/2012/09/03/cba-101-bonus-cushion-and-bonus-overages/

The bonus overage is charged to next years cap which can cause major issues for the following season, case and point see the 2010 Hawks.

So if we were to sign iggy at the league min with 4.8 mill worth of bonuses, it would severely impact the canucks in 2014-15. e.g. 2013-14 cap 64.3, 2014-15 cap 67.5 (at 5% growth) - 4.8 (cap penalty) = 62.7 :help:

As much as i would love to have iggy, i think the best route is to use our young players/rookies.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
At this point I would definitely opt out of spending anything bigger than bare minimum contracts to our fourth line. Give Lain/Pinizzotto a chance and/or maybe offer Regin or Yip a minimum contract, maybe even bring in a minimum wage back-up for cap purposes. Then again Weise on the RW and Sestito as the 13th guy seem done so no need for another RW. Lain and Regin with the off chance of Gaunce breaking out would be my way. That way we might have a chance of using the savings for a Top 6 guy. Maybe. Weber on the other hand would seem like a viable option, as Blum would be too expensive.

Players like Boyd Gordon aren't a typical 4th line C. Lain/Pinner are not a viable repacement. Gordon is a guy who plays 18+ minutes in the WCF.

He's a shutdown guy who handles big minutes and can be used to shelter a young C like Schroeder. Anaheim did the exact same thing with Getzlaf-Perry's line when Pahlsson was their 3C.

I really like SonicY's lineup. Personally I would let Corrado play in the minors and sign someone else. Not sure about Yip either. When Hendricks (57% on FO, left handed) and Gordon (57% on FO, right handed) are on the same line it will be used in defensive situations. Might as well sign a defensive minded RW (or bump Hansen down).

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
100% think that Corrado is in the line-up come opening night unless something dramatic happens like an injury or he just flat out sucks.

There's a reason why the Canucks burned a year of his ELC last year; kid can play.

I also see Corrado benefitting greatly from Torts. More so than Tanev based on his make-up/demeanour.

Just look at how the young d in New York did under him and Sullivan.

Would not be surprised if Corrado is in the Canucks Top 4 by the end of next year (at the latest).

Pseudonymous*

100% think that Corrado is in the line-up come opening night unless something dramatic happens like an injury or he just flat out sucks.

There's a reason why the Canucks burned a year of his ELC last year; kid can play.

I also see Corrado benefitting greatly from Torts. More so than Tanev based on his make-up/demeanour.

Just look at how the young d in New York did under him and Sullivan.

Would not be surprised if Corrado is in the Canucks Top 4 by the end of next year (at the latest).

:nod:

Im shocked whenever i dont see him in peoples projected lineups to start the year. This guy does not need more ahl seasoning

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Is David Booth on LTIR now? I'm asking because in the Past we've seen Gillis use LTIR to carry salary over the cap and mysteriously one player would be coming back from LTIR as another was going back on it (IE: Sami Salo).

Just wondering if we could consider David Booth's salary as being on LTIR status now and to have a total of 11.75 in cap space to play with?

And if you consider that we're allowed that extra space to sign players 35+, I think we have a lot of space to play with if we really want.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Canucks have a couple million in space, so they probably wouldn't need to use all of that cushion for Iginla. They could use a couple million of it. And, conceivably, they could end up using some of that overage up on LTIR during the season potentially -- or at least I imagine that's how it could work.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
- sign Boyd Gordon for 4C. He should be a focus. He is exactly what we need, and covet, in that spot. Perfect Malhotra replacement.

I completely agree, but I wouldn't go over $2M per year for him.
My biggest concern is that we haven't heard much about the Canucks being interested in him, and that the Canucks have a lot of interest in Hendricks (who can play center). Don't get me wrong, I hope we can get both of them, but Gordon is a much bigger need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->