The Armchair Coaching Thread [MOD WARNING in OP]

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
time to swtich up the pp units.

sedins/kassian with garry and edler on the points.

2nd unit. kesler right point, weber other point. santo/higgins/burrows.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
time to swtich up the pp units.

sedins/kassian with garry and edler on the points.

2nd unit. kesler right point, weber other point. santo/higgins/burrows.

Would like to see:

Kassian - D. Sedin - H. Sedin
Kesler - Garrison

on the 1st unit, at least.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Curious what others opinions are on our lines if/when all forwards are healthy, sure it may be a bit presumptuous to assume that the top 2 lines will continue to look as strong as they have, but as is right now I wouldn't break them up.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Higgins-Santo-Burrows
Hansen/Weise-Richardson-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Weise/Hansen

That looks pretty ugly in terms of pairings. I have really liked Richardson and Kassian playing together, so I wouldn't aim to touch that.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Burrows-Santo-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Weise

I think I would prefer that, the 2nd/3rd lines playing with similar minutes, both generate offense with defensive responsiblity, I don't know what do you think?

Betamax*

Okay, since the Canucks' adopted the first suggestion I've made, here's another idea to change the fortune of their mis-firing PP.

Have a RHS - LHS at the point, to give the ability to fire one-timers from either side. On the Canucks, Kesler has the best RHS, so I'd put him at the point and pair him with either Edler or Garrison for the first unit, with the Sedins. I'd then put a big body like Kassian or Booth (when he is healthy) in front of the net to provide the screen.

According to Thomlinson on TEAM Radio, the Canucks are going to implement a similar configuration to what I've suggested, i.e. going with a 4F, 1D configuration for the 1st PP unit.

According to DT, it was Garrison paired with Kesler at the point, with Burrows being the net front presence and of course the Sedins being the other two.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
According to Thomlinson on TEAM Radio, the Canucks are going to implement a similar configuration to what I've suggested, i.e. going with a 4F, 1D configuration for the 1st PP unit.

According to DT, it was Garrison paired with Kesler at the point, with Burrows being the net front presence and of course the Sedins being the other two.

I hope we see that tonight. :nod: Let's see what these guys can do together. Can't be any worse than what we have seen so far!

Betamax*

On this post, to clarify, apparently speculation by DT (educated guess) based on who he saw enter the room to talk to the coaching staff on the PP meeting.

Betamax*

Okay, since the Canucks' adopted the first suggestion I've made, here's another idea to change the fortune of their mis-firing PP.

Have a RHS - LHS at the point, to give the ability to fire one-timers from either side. On the Canucks, Kesler has the best RHS, so I'd put him at the point and pair him with either Edler or Garrison for the first unit, with the Sedins. I'd then put a big body like Kassian or Booth (when he is healthy) in front of the net to provide the screen.

So my second suggestion has been adopted and has worked.

Kesler one-timer, eh?

:handclap:

Betamax*

Okay, Coach Torts has partially adopted my suggestion.

Using Burrows in lieu of Kassian or Booth as the screen. I'd prefer Burrows to be on the second unit and give a Kassian or the prodigal son a chance for redemption.

Now on to the point, instead of Hamhuis (which is probably being done for a defensive conscience), I'd put either Edler or Garrison on the point for their better shot even if it affords greater risk in turnovers.

Isn't the Torts' mantra "Safe is Death."?

I mean come on! Time to take more chances.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I enjoy Tortorella's passion, which seems to be in check this year. As I hoped before the season started, the passion of the Vancouver market has actually tempered Tortorella somewhat. He seems to be walking a line between being hard and also protecting his players -- I would think it's because he sees how hard fans/media are on the players here.

Still, there are times to pick and choose. Hansen has looked downright lazy at times since he's been back in the line-up, and I thought Tortorella dressing him down was deserved. Hansen has a big new contract and can't stop doing the things that got him that deal.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Overall I've been happy with Torts, but his defensive pairings need to be changed up.

Edler needs to get his head back into it, and giving him huge minutes is not the best way to do that.

Hamhuis-Garrison should be the top shut down pairing. It's worked in the past and Edler cannot be relied upon at the moment to take huge minutes.

Edler-Tanev - Should get softer matchups, Tanev's pass-first mentality will help Edler offensively as well as be able to help compliment him defensively.

Stanton-Bieksa - Was doing well for the vast majority of the season, should be left as is.

Because really, the defensive play of late has been pretty unacceptable, and I think a part of that responsibility falls on the coaching.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
^ This.

Those pairings provide the most stability and balance. Both Tanev and Hamhuis need someone who will shoot and has a bit of size(Garrison/Edler) and both Garrison and Edler need someone who is a fluid enough skater to accept their bomb type passes in dzone but defer to them in offensive zone for the shot.

Only reason why I think we don't see this is that Bieksa has been our best defenceman, and while stanton has been steady, he's still the #6, so either Bieksa isn't playing enough, or stanton plays too much.

If only Edler-Bieksa wasn't such a trainwreck I would love to see

Edler-Bieksa(#1 pp, top EV offensive unit)

Hamhuis-Garrison(#1 pk, #2 EV)

Stanton-Tanev(perfect reliable 3rd pairing with snarl and smarts)

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
Also it's probably a little late as we're scoring on the pp right now, but I'd like to see the whole power play rotate once they get control. Basically get hank towards the point, Kesler going towards the half boards and have Edler or Garrison drive the net from the right point. Easier said than done but I think our powerplay is focused to much on north south or east west individually and needs to get some more movement as a unit through passes as there is no longer a skater of a caliber who can get the defenders moving and turn the pk box

Betamax*

Torts' public rants on his players could be the "cure" for breaking up those NTCs ...

Betamax*

2j5fdlj.jpg

An article comparing Coach Torts vs. Coach AV with their new teams by David Ebner of the Globe & Mail:

A statistical look at the Canucks and Rangers after trading coaches
DAVID EBNER
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Nov. 29 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Last updated Friday, Nov. 29 2013, 11:18 PM EST

source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...anucks-after-swaping-coaches/article15674560/

A few excerpts:

The swap – as the rosters of the hockey teams remained basically the same – presented this season as a rare live experiment in coaching styles.

There have not been revelations. The only striking conclusion is the trade of bench bosses does not seem to have done much at all, which suggests all the ballyhooed hirings and firings are overstated in their importance.

One key fact: Tortorella and Vigneault are not study in opposites. The coaches have always been much more similar than not, both men defensive-minded with a philosophy of letting offensive creativity flow. Tortorella obviously was known for his shot-blocking ethos. Vigneault had a reputation for employing advanced statistics. All-in, the two veteran coaches are close cousins rather than strangers.

Some of comparisons he's compiled:

(The numbers are as of mid-Thursday, the Canucks had played 26 games and the Rangers 25)

Blocked shots

This is the one category where there is a relatively notable change. Under Tortorella, the Canucks have jumped to 10th in the league from 27th with Vigneault. The Rangers have slipped to 16th from 6th – which shows ingrained lessons are not immediately forgotten.

and

Puck possession

A good gauge of a team’s style of play, and success, both the Canucks and Rangers are producing quite similar results under different coaches. In terms of rank, the Canucks are 6th this year, up from 12th last year, and the Rangers are in the same spot, 9th. The statistic is measured as a percentage of shots on goal and missed shots by both teams, when the score is within one goal in the first and second periods, or tied in the third or OT, at even-strength (known as “Fenwick closeâ€).

He shoots, he scores

Another look at puck possession, this time measuring all shots (on goal, missed, and blocked – “Corsiâ€) as a differential, greater or fewer than the opposition – measured over 60 minutes, all situations. The Canucks and Rangers have both improved this season, with the Canucks rising to 5th from 10th, and the Rangers climbing to 7th from 12th.

Player deployment

In Vigneault’s last years in Vancouver, much was made of his extreme deployment of players, using the Sedins much more in the offensive zone than the defensive end. Tortorella, with less fanfare, did the same in New York, though less aggressively. Both coaches continue to employ zone deployment this year – measured as a percentage of offensive-zone faceoffs against all offensive- and defensive-zone faceoffs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How Torts handles Edler and Kassian is what I am most interested with tbh. Both have dangerous upsides, but are such frustrating players to watch. If he can get the best out of one/both those guys I would be overjoyed with his hiring.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Torts' public rants on his players could be the "cure" for breaking up those NTCs ...

That was constructive criticism as much as it was a 'rant' of some sort. At least that's how I saw it.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Surprised to see Tanev lead the time in shorthanded time on ice, especially with 2 defensive studs in Hamhuis/Garrison in the mix. Even more surprising Tanev has the best goals against/60 of any dmen by a significant margin...

You have to like the coaching staff's confidence in Tanev. If he continues to improve, it opens the door to move a top 4 dmen for help up front. Edler being the obvious candidate at this point.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tortorella's handling of Edler looks right to me. He's indentified that Edler is someone who needs a different approach than most players and is working hard to unlock that potential.

I also love that he keeps grinding the league's gears on that insane suspension. I hope he gave Shanahan an earful.

Betamax*

That was constructive criticism as much as it was a 'rant' of some sort. At least that's how I saw it.

Even though, how the affected players take it is going to be something to monitor i.e. are they going to take it like water off a Gortex Jacket and be motivated by it, or absorb the cirticism like a ShamWow and get further bogged down by the yelling?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The Rangers had the 4th fewest minor penalties in the league last season - 2 more than the fewest penalized team. Under AV, they sit around 20th fewest.

The Canuck have taken fewer minors under Torts.

I wonder if it's from a less aggressive/risky system or from accountability from the coaches? Does Torts tear a strip off his players in the dressing room for poor penalties...

Pseudonymous*

heh interesting, while i agree with him getting on their case, not everybody handles it the right way. if he was doing it to me. i'd understand because im confident and i let things roll off of me. most people can't take constructive criticism well. im also a blunt person and i find i have to sugarcoat things for people all the time.

atleast i know hansen wont be receiving it often, the guy is a workhorse. if he does get a lecture everytime he screws up, he might be in the right if he starts to have a problem with torts, that guy is one of the hardest working players, nobody is perfect. getting on his case consistently would be pointless.

Betamax*

heh interesting, while i agree with him getting on their case, not everybody handles it the right way. if he was doing it to me. i'd understand because im confident and i let things roll off of me. most people can't take constructive criticism well. im also a blunt person and i find i have to sugarcoat things for people all the time.

atleast i know hansen wont be receiving it often, the guy is a workhorse. if he does get a lecture everytime he screws up, he might be in the right if he starts to have a problem with torts, that guy is one of the hardest working players, nobody is perfect. getting on his case consistently would be pointless.

Ultimately, an NTC just provide the player the final say on where he's headed to next. I think most players that have term left on their deal wouldn't want to remain on the team if they are not "wanted" by their franchise. We have cases like with Kipper where he decided to enforce his NTC (but those were unique circumstances).

More high profile situations like Rick Nash and Iggy, they submitted their list of preferred destinations and the teams involved had to work within those parameters.

I don't think any of the current Core Canucks (besides Bobby Lu) at this point in time would walk up and go to management requesting a trade like what Erat has done but if it gets to a situation where Coach Torts goes Torts by publicly admonishing a player who doesn't take kindly to the criticism say for example, he doesn't fit the style he wants from him, I could see a core piece waiving his NTC because of that.

Of the core Canucks players, I think the Sedins can handle just about any criticism (given they built a tough skin after all the crap they had to take from their critics before they became elite players), the core Canucks player, I'd worry about taking it the wrong way would be Kesler. I hope Canucks Management have talked to Coach Torts about that given how a rather benign criticism from Coach AV on Kesler a while back by suggesting he was not using his wingers enough, ticked him off quite a bit.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Even though, how the affected players take it is going to be something to monitor i.e. are they going to take it like water off a Gortex Jacket and be motivated by it, or absorb the cirticism like a ShamWow and get further bogged down by the yelling?

Depends. I don't imagine they'll be yelling all the time either. There's positive reinforcement and other things in their arsenal too.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
when will torts take Off hamhuis off the powerplay. provides nothing. no shot nothing. he purposely just shoots at the opposition's shinguards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad