The Armchair Coaching Thread [MOD WARNING in OP]

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
There's a new thread and going forward I expect everyone to follow the Site Rules. Don't belittle each other, don't insult each other, don't post provocative statements just to rile other people up, don't hijack the thread, etc. Abuse of YouTube videos / GIFs / hashtags in order to belittle other members will be treated as spam and flaming. This isn't 4chan.

In other words: play nice.

Last edited:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Let me try this again... from the PGT but probably better suited here:

JS experiment on the wing @ the AHL level has failed and failed big time the few times they tried it. He seems lost when he plays the wing. Kesler on the other hand has played on the wing before (as recent as last year with Roy, who has a similar skillset as JS, of course a lot more proven). So if Kesler plays with JS, its more likely Kesler being the one playing the wing and taking draws.

I keep hearing this but my feeling is that if he can't adjust to playing the wing than he should be traded asap. I can understand a winger having a tough time moving to centre but there is no excuse for a centre to not also be an effective winger.

I don't really care how many games it takes, or if there are some bumps along the way, Schroeder needs to learn how to effectively play the wing. It's my belief that if Schroeder wants to have a career, he's going to have to become much more versatile.

I also really believe Kesler needs a natural playmaker on his line, both Schroeder and Kassian could fill this role.

When/if fully healthy, I would like to see them try this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Schroeder
Higgins-Santorelli-Booth
Weise-Richardson-Hansen

Hansen on the 4th line but it's a 4th line that can actually skate & play valuable minutes. Richardson and Hansen would both get PK time as well and Hansen would probably get some 2nd unit PP time, so their minutes wouldn't be too limited.

Not saying it's a permanent thing, I just want to see it tried, especially when we play the deeper teams like the Hawks, Blues and Sharks.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm not exactly ok with putting out 3rd best winger on the fourth line. I know he likes to bang and crash, but he belongs in the top 6, or at least the third line, regardless of how many mins the fourth line is going to play.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I'm not exactly ok with putting out 3rd best winger on the fourth line. I know he likes to bang and crash, but he belongs in the top 6, or at least the third line, regardless of how many mins the fourth line is going to play.

Certainly not with the minutes Torts seems to give the fourth line especially.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Certainly not with the minutes Torts seems to give the fourth line especially.

That has more to do with who is on the 4th line. If the guys currently on the third line were the 4th line, he'd be playing the 4th line and likely rotating the lines 5-on-5.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
That has more to do with who is on the 4th line. If the guys currently on the third line were the 4th line, he'd be playing the 4th line and likely rotating the lines 5-on-5.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that Torts was a roll three lines kind of guys.

But as you said, that could also have to do with what he had to work with as a fourth line.

Regardless, I still wouldn't put Hansen on the fourth. Switch him with Zach and make him earn his way on to the top line.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that Torts was a roll three lines kind of guys.

But as you said, that could also have to do with what he had to work with as a fourth line.

Regardless, I still wouldn't put Hansen on the fourth. Switch him with Zach and make him earn his way on to the top line.

Rangers' 4th line was often even worse than our current 4th line.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not that it matters right now, but Dalpe is our worst Corsi-On player. -20something.

As Torts would say, that hardly matters at this point in the season.

Booth is a weird guy too. Last year I believe he was our 4th best Corsi-On player as well. Eerie.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Not that it matters right now, but Dalpe is our worst Corsi-On player. -20something.

As Torts would say, that hardly matters at this point in the season.

Booth is a weird guy too. Last year I believe he was our 4th best Corsi-On player as well. Eerie.

Wacko Thomas' current save percentage is 0.850. That's a stat I like.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

I would be OK with that, but it doesn't seem like Hansen is a great fit for the Twins or Kesler. I love that Torts can throw him on any line though, especially when the team's not going and as I noted, Hansen should get plenty of special teams time.

When it's all said and done, it wouldn't surprise me if Kassian does end up on the 4th line.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Here's what I think is missing when you guys talk about the sedins blocking shots: if you tell guys to get into shooting lanes without blocking shots, they won't.

It's as simple as that. And while superstar players on teams are often exempt due to the inherent double-standard of the most skilled guys on a team, teams invariably perform better when those players buy in just like everyone else. Yzerman only developed into a leader when he started to play a two-way game, and that transition coincided with the successful Detroit franchise we know today. Previous to that they were terrible, and just before breaking out under bowman they were more like Philly is now - talented but unable to get over the hump.

Buy-in of a team is always easier when the stars are quite visibly doing the same thing. In no circumstances is a good player hampered by playing defence unless they have a serious attitude problem. In fact, a sensible player understands that you can't score goals without the puck...so the quickest way to have fun and go on the attack is to retrieve the puck as soon as possible.

In terms of the PK, the twins have been complaining for a long time about being taken out of the game because of lots of penalties making them sit. They are the ones pushing to play ok for this reason, they're good at it, and if they do play the PK it is unreasonable to expect they would be exempt from blocking shots like everyone else on the team.

Finally, why doesn't everyone wear those shot blocking guards that pk subban wears?

Evidence

Jul 3, 2013
Vancouver
Here's what I think is missing when you guys talk about the sedins blocking shots: if you tell guys to get into shooting lanes without blocking shots, they won't.

It's as simple as that. And while superstar players on teams are often exempt due to the inherent double-standard of the most skilled guys on a team, teams invariably perform better when those players buy in just like everyone else. Yzerman only developed into a leader when he started to play a two-way game, and that transition coincided with the successful Detroit franchise we know today. Previous to that they were terrible, and just before breaking out under bowman they were more like Philly is now - talented but unable to get over the hump.

Buy-in of a team is always easier when the stars are quite visibly doing the same thing. In no circumstances is a good player hampered by playing defence unless they have a serious attitude problem. In fact, a sensible player understands that you can't score goals without the puck...so the quickest way to have fun and go on the attack is to retrieve the puck as soon as possible.

In terms of the PK, the twins have been complaining for a long time about being taken out of the game because of lots of penalties making them sit. They are the ones pushing to play ok for this reason, they're good at it, and if they do play the PK it is unreasonable to expect they would be exempt from blocking shots like everyone else on the team.

Finally, why doesn't everyone wear those shot blocking guards that pk subban wears?

I forgot how good the Sedin's were on the pk, they have the ability to control the puck along the boards killing valuable time, plus they're always a threat to score.

Wetcoaster

It depends upon your skating style. For some players they interfere with the stride and crossovers.

Time to go back to the ski-boot style hard plastic skate?? I wore a pair of Langes for a season back in junior.

183.jpg

There were similar skates from Micron and Daoust.

1e3b_1+copy.jpg

A few years back a manufacturer who produced high end water ski boots tried to market a modern version of the Lange, et al. - Fluid Motion's Game7 1080 skate that never caught on:

The Game7 shell is constructed from Carbon Fiber in the critical chassis or sole and ankle area of the skate, for a reactive response. Blended with the Carbon fiber is a lightweight injection molded main shell and an aluminium core upper which provides the protection and durability needed for the high forces and impacts encountered during a game.​

COBALTG7SWEB.JPG

game71080nov07_1.JPG

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
It depends upon your skating style. For some players they interfere with the stride and crossovers.

Time to go back to the ski-boot style hard plastic skate?? I wore a pair of Langes for a season back in junior.

183.jpg

There were similar skates from Micron and Daoust.

1e3b_1+copy.jpg

A few years back a manufacturer who produced high end water ski boots tried to market a modern version of the Lange, et al. - Fluid Motion's Game7 1080 skate that never caught on:

The Game7 shell is constructed from Carbon Fiber in the critical chassis or sole and ankle area of the skate, for a reactive response. Blended with the Carbon fiber is a lightweight injection molded main shell and an aluminium core upper which provides the protection and durability needed for the high forces and impacts encountered during a game.​

COBALTG7SWEB.JPG

game71080nov07_1.JPG

Your posts are always informative, but often a tad dry.

I've recently started reading them in the voice of John Ratzenberger, and I gotta say, they're entertaining now too!;)

Betamax*

Okay ... I'm going to post a re-post a few comments on the Clowe blocked shot in the previous "Armchair Coach's Thread" which aided and abetted the Canucks' Game tying Goal by Edler.

The original posts and names of the authors of said can be found in this link:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1509131&page=11

I'll also just point out that Clowe's "block" last night appeared unintentional. He didn't make a move to get in front of the shot. He was simply 8 feet away when Edler hit him with a wrister.

This is not true.

From this uploaded youtube video as "evidence", fast forward to 2:35:

Bieksa, not Edler hit him with a slap slot with Clowe ~30 feet away.

As another poster stated:

(on the inside of his foot, too, which is not how you block a shot)

Clowe, I can only assume "instinctually" reacted with the puck being shot in his direction and intentionally turned his foot sideways to block the shot and we saw the negative consequences that not only happen to befall himself but to his team as he struggled to get to the bench and the Canucks were therefore playing at a tactical advantage because of "his successfully unsuccessful blocked shot", and "it" played a huge role in why Edler was able to score rather nice GTG.

Now to a comment in this thread:

My position on the Sedins' blocking shots was for Tort's to not make a big deal out of it. By him stating as another poster in that thread paraphrased to the media and by extension to the public:

Really Torts has said it best (and I paraphrase) "imagine the lift on the bench if the guys see a Sedin going out and blocking shots". It's a motivation, inspiration and extra effort thing.

In my opinion, that statement puts them in a no choice and in a sense, unfair predicament to go out of their way to block shots when/if they are on the PK while not exercising discretion. Because if they don't, they will tacitly give the impression that they are the equivalent of the "P" variation of the word "cats" which, IMO, would be wrong.

I ask this: Do the Sedins' have sufficient experience at this stage in their career and have developed the "skill" to block shots where they can at least try to mitigate the injury factor? I mean shot blocking isn't something you can really or want to practice (for obvious reasons) but is developed over years of actual in-game conditions.

It's not about "exempting" them from blocking shots but not pressing the issue and proclaiming how much of an "inspiration" it would be be if they blocked a bloody shot!

I mean that kind of "inspiration" would now seem to be almost as contrived as when we see a "staged" fight for no apparent reason, other than two tough guys trying to justify their role on the team and have their 2 minutes of fame and spotlight shine on them!!!

Then we see their teammates on the bench at the end of the fight banging the boards with their sticks, like it was like "inspiring" ... uh, okay.

Seriously, what would really be inspiring to see from the Sedins is more "Sedinary" and having them dominate a shift in the offensive zone:

That's gonna get their teammates and Canucks' fans to their feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

Your posts are always informative, but often a tad dry.

I've recently started reading them in the voice of John Ratzenberger, and I gotta say, they're entertaining now too!;)
I'm more like Sam Elliott:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

... highlights ...

That's not Clowe blocking a shot in that video. He's already limping around at the point where that highlight begins. Clowe's "block" isn't there and the poster in question was correct.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
From last thread, I thought Stonz's post was particularly pertinent:

Sweet merciful crap.

How much more time are you going to waste posting evidence that you have completely missed the point?

I can post a video of Hamhuis injuring himself throwing a hip-check on Lucic, likely costing us the Cup. Where is your post calling for an end to body-checking?

I can post a video of Daniel breaking his foot getting hit with an Edler point shot. Where is your post calling for Garrison to be removed from the power play?

I can post a video of Booth getting injured cutting to the middle of the ice. Where is your post suggesting that everyone play on the perimeter?

Bang-on. Risk/reward to everything.

As for blocking shots, if you're going to get into shooting lanes you might as well block them anyway. Doing the old ostrich because it should be "discretionary", as was suggested? :shakehead If the coaches can teach them to consistently do it the safe way then we should be okay.

They blocked something like 5 shots last night anyway. Guess what? Devils blocked... 16. Hmmmm.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Okay ... I'm going to post a re-post a few comments on the Clowe blocked shot in the previous "Armchair Coach's Thread" which aided and abetted the Canucks' Game tying Goal by Edler.

The original posts and names of the authors of said can be found in this link:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1509131&page=11

This is not true.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The video you posted shows Bieksa's shot from 30 feet away being blocked by Green. You can clearly see Clowe on the other side of the ice already limping at that point.

Clowe was injured on a wrist shot from Edler from rather close range. The video you posted cuts into that play just after Edler has released the shot. TSN showed an excellent view of the play from behind Edler during the broadcast. That view is not a part of the video you posted.

Betamax*

That's not Clowe blocking a shot in that video. He's already limping around at the point where that highlight begins. Clowe's "block" isn't there and the poster in question was correct.

Are you sure?

Who was the player who "blocked" Bieksa's slapshot @ 2:35 into the video (6:25 remaining in the period) ... with only a few seconds later we see a cutaway with Clowe Limping to the bench (6:21 remaining in the period)?

Okay ... saw stonz additional comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad