The Armchair Coaching Thread [MOD WARNING in OP]

Betamax*

So ... after hearing Coach Tort's thoughts on Tom Sestito when he first got here during a recent PC (when Sestito was a Flyer) ... he felt he played like a "clown" and an "idiot" and how he's come around and acknowledges that he's improved himself since his Flyers playing days to be an important element for the Canucks.

Now, I'm thinking the former clown, Sestito might be the answer to the Canucks shoot-out woes.

I mean the next time the Canucks are in a shootout ... and Sestito is the first name chosen by Coach Torts instead of the usual suspects ... wouldn't that be the x-factor. I mean, it would be one of those LOL ... WTF moments ... from the fans in attendence, the players on the ice and a possible letdown spot for the opposing goalie (taking Sestito too lightly).

Who's with me on this? :laugh:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I mean the next time the Canucks are in a shootout ... and Sestito is the first name chosen by Coach Torts instead of the usual suspects ... wouldn't that be the x-factor. I mean, it would be one of those LOL ... WTF moments ... from the fans in attendence, the players on the ice and a possible letdown spot for the opposing goalie (taking Sestito too lightly).

Who's with me on this? :laugh:
At this moment, I'm thinking Finn couldn't do any worse than either Sedin in "circus time".:laugh:

Betamax*

At this moment, I'm thinking Finn couldn't do any worse than either Sedin in "circus time".:laugh:

At this moment, I'm thinking it might be better to have the less cerebral players take the shootouts. i.e. I think part of the problem with the Sedins is that they put too much thought on what they should do ... then rather just doing it.

I suspect that was part of the reason why Gretzky wasn't great on breakaways.

Normally, I'd back the idea of having your best players have the game on their stick but time after time of seeing the futility with the Sedins when it comes to SO, I think you have to do a 180 and go with anti-Sedin type players on the shootout and see if the outcome is any different.

I mean, things couldn't possibly get worse, right???

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
At this moment, I'm thinking it might be better to have the less cerebral players take the shootouts. i.e. I think part of the problem with the Sedins is that they put too much thought on what they should do ... then rather just doing it.

I suspect that was part of the reason why Gretzky wasn't great on breakaways.

Normally, I'd back the idea of having your best players have the game on their stick but time after time of seeing the futility with the Sedins when it comes to SO, I think you have to do a 180 and go with anti-Sedin type players on the shootout and see if the outcome is any different.

I mean, things couldn't possibly get worse, right???

No, you've got it right to some extent. You do need to chose the right guys.

Some guys are "game conditions" type scorers and some guys get the yips when they have too much time.

Having said that, I still hate that individual shootouts decide the outcome of a team game.

Betamax*

No, you've got it right to some extent. You do need to chose the right guys.

Some guys are "game conditions" type scorers and some guys get the yips when they have too much time.

Having said that, I still hate that individual shootouts decide the outcome of a team game.

Yeah, I do endorse Coach Torts' more aggressive approach and higher risk approach to at least attempt to win it in OT by going with 3F, 1D and even 4F late into the OT.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I just want to see garrison alternate in the top 3 shootout spots and blast slapshots from 15 ft out.

Betamax*

I just want to see garrison alternate in the top 3 shootout spots and blast slapshots from 15 ft out.

Yeah, I wouldn't be oppose to that. I think they got to think out of the box since the same old same old, isn't getting the job done.

Here's what I would do if I were Coach Torts for the next couple of shoot-outs.

Tell the trio of Burr, Sant and Kes that two out of the three will always be the first three shooter depending on Tort's gut feeling. The third would be a fourth-six option.

The third would be the wildcard. I don't mind the Garrison blasting it from the point. A Sestito for the potential WTF? letdown advantage. And if Garrison and Sestito do what previous Canucks have done i.e. not finish, pick someone that had a good offensive game even if he isn't a regular shooter.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah, I wouldn't be oppose to that. I think they got to think out of the box since the same old same old, isn't getting the job done.

I think he would score on atleast 4/10 slapshots, and at the very least it would scare a few goalies. Then other players can maybe fake slap shots and get the goalie to open up.

I'd rather see the shootout attempts just be pure shots to corners or tell them to do fancy dekes and see what happens.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
After Marek Malik I wouldn't underestimate anyone's ability to surprise with sick moves.

Everyone on the team has 'shoot-out' skill. I am sure Sestito can hit those corners when giving time...and he has plenty in a shootout.

When Edler is healthy, I would use him again.

1) Santorelli
2) Edler
3) Burrows
4) Kesler
5) Richardson
6) Kassian

But seeing how Torts wants his top players to be his top players, I can see the Sedins in the top 4 every time.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I don't think sending out Garrison to tee up a slapper is a good idea for the shootout.

One team did that years ago to us. Unsurprisingly, Edler was the next player over the bench to do the exact same thing.

It seems like a good way to potentially get your goalie hurt.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Love Tortorella's honest and on-point mental assessment of the Canucks:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports...Tortorella+speaks+candidly/9364757/story.html

Choice quote:

“Are we worried about competing against these big teams?” said Tortorella. “And that’s the question I have about our team. Are we worried about it or do we look forward to it? Playing to win or not to lose?

“I can go all with these clichés. It’s a mindset. I just don’t think we have the proper mindset to know how to change the momentum of games, to know how to compete against legitimate Stanley Cup contenders we’re playing here in the next couple of weeks."

And

“In trying to make a difference. (In) not testing the water, not trying to get through it without getting hurt. Not being afraid to make a mistake through aggression.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Love it. As opposed to our ex-coach, to whom a 5-1 win over Columbus in February was a "real hard fought game."

Yeah, it's kind of a chicken and egg thing. I think the end result of a good coach versus a very good coach is maybe a win or two a year. But I do wonder if there's maybe a bit of a deadening over time where there are blindspots on a team, and the Canucks have certaintly had one for awhile now.

After having a coach for such a long time, there could be a more constructive impact at work here. At the very least, it's refreshing, and maybe we'll see a team that seems less prone to giant swings in momentum in the post-season.

As I said before this season began, I'd even sort of be happy with the team losing in the post-season in a closely contested playoff series where they arguably played better than their (possibly superior) opponent. That would be a nice change from the typical formula.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Love Tortorella's honest and on-point mental assessment of the Canucks:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports...Tortorella+speaks+candidly/9364757/story.html

Choice quote:

And

Yep. For years this has been the biggest criticism of this team under AV - that they didn't have enough push-back when things were falling apart around their heads. At least with Torts you know he has a handle on in-game momentum and isn't afraid to do whatever he can to try and get it back on our side.

I'd rather they addressed these questions and look at how they handle adversity now than find out if they're good enough in that area in the postseason.

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013
Incompetenceplay

Anything to be done about the powerplay? This is a major reason the team has been sinking for a couple of years.

I say go with 5 forwards until a shorthanded goal is given up.

Sedin Sedin Kesler Kassian Higgins. Higgins in front. D. Sedin and Kesler at the points.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Kesler at the point, not Daniel. I have zero confidence in Daniel's ability to shoot the puck

Also keep one of Edler/Garrison on there for their shot as well.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
We loaded the top PP unit up with Sedin Sedin and Kesler in 2010/2011 and it worked for a while. It worked very well. It hasn't worked or a long time now though and I think we should split them up. When they were scoring at 30% and the second unit was scoring at like 1%, it was acceptable. Both are now awful and I think the 2nd PP should be at least capable of getting a few in.

Get Kesler off the first unit, or even get one of the Sedins off since they can pass to anyone. The Sedins have great chemistry for finding each other, but on the powerplay, I think being able to make no look passes to each other is less important.

Henrik - Kesler - ___ (Burrows if he is better when he returns)
Daniel - Santorelli - Kassian

Or something like that, don't really care how it gets split up, though. I just want the 2nd unit to be competitive with other 2nd unit PPs in the league.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Kassian in front, twins flitting around on broomsticks, Garrison and Weber bombing from the point. Boom, done. Congrats on the goals. PRNuck gets to wear the Haida hat.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
The biggest thing I've noticed is the lack of movement. The twins cycle game is almost non-existent at this point. They stand around stationary and try to make risky passes through seams. They used to be able to get the dmen to chase creating odd man situations with the puck. Those are gone now and they just try to work it out to the point for a shot which hasn't going in because they didn't put a big body in front of the net. Higgins is easy to move from the slot. Sestito worked because he was unmovable. The thing he lacks is the puck skills to gain the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad