The Armchair Coaching Thread [MOD WARNING in OP]

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Torts is the problem, then it may be the most spectacular of Gillis' ever increasing list of missteps.

I don't know what's going on in the dressing room but if that's the case then this is the first time I believe Gillis could legitimately deserve some heat from ownership... depending on how involved they were with the hiring. I don't think it's so much that he's maybe a bad fit as it is that Gillis hired him for 4 years. Asking Aqualini to pay for another fired coach when he's still paying for the last guy he fired likely won't be a pleasant conversation.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't know what's going on in the dressing room but if that's the case then this is the first time I believe Gillis could legitimately deserve some heat from ownership... depending on how involved they were with the hiring. I don't think it's so much that he's maybe a bad fit as it is that Gillis hired him for 4 years. Asking Aqualini to pay for another fired coach when he's still paying for the last guy he fired likely won't be a pleasant conversation.

I doubt they're paying Vigneault much of anything. From what I understand, once a fired head coach finds comparable employment for comparable money (I believe Vigneault actually got a raise with New York) the old team is pretty much off the hook.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Don't think Gillis can be solely blamed for this as Torts was likely the ownerships choice. Apparently ownership sat in on every meeting and were very impressed with everything Torts had to say.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
It's unfair to fire Torts.

The top six is a complete disaster. The top four do not feature a powerplay demon.

Torts is a teaching coach. He has kids to work with next season. The team has a good looking bottom six and there are rookies coming. Shinkaruk is better than Booth. He showed it last camp. There are some very young guys that they must be penciling in!

Imagine the world if there were no Sedins on the roster. Too painful? Well, imagine Henrik went to MODO and Daniel became Canucks' AHL coach. How would the 2014/15 roster look? Run it in Capgeek. So much cap space!

I was too busy taking in the beard to listen but wasn't Gillis babbling about a plan? There is zero evidence to support this rumor. Maybe the plan hasn't started yet? Maybe the plan is for the Sedins to retire and the new contracts are there to cement their names in coolitude for all eternity. Naslund got props for walking away from three (?) million? The Sedins would be walking away from fifty-six million! That's integrity!

The whole thing makes much more sense if the Sedins were removed from the equation. The clue is the apparent disconnect of saying you want to get younger and bigger and the actual actions. The Sedins' contract is the antithesis of the stated goals. Unless it was a ploy. Unless it led everyone (including Kesler) to believe the Canucks would be up against the new cap? Will Gillis spring this trap and spend large on a new top line? I kind of hope so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->