OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
You liked 7 and 8, but not 9? Pretty unusual, they generally go hand in hand with people's likes. I LOVED 8 (favorite game and love story of all time for me), 7 was awesome too, 9 was excellent, and for 10 it started going downhill for me. I couldn't invest myself fully in a MC who's voice is rumored to still not have reached puberty. I really wanted to. Better to skip VA altogether than to force us through that crap. 12 was fun.
I did enjoy 9 and I beat it, but it didn't move me or give me that feeling the other games did.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I never got to finish Xenogears. I bought some crazy expensive item early in the game that OPed the white female Mecha lady, but at a later point in the game she was forced out of your party for a tough boss. And that was all she wrote for me.

The characters didn't stay with me as other FF characters at the time did but that could be because I never completed it

Xenogears has a notoriously convoluted (and apparently unfinished?) story. In all honesty that's kind of what I loved about the game - it made you think about what was going on on the surface, and what was going on behind the scenes (the conversations between Citan and the Emperor or whoever that was; everything with Billy and Ethos). I can't speak much to the unfinished-ness, but every comment I've read from people who remember it say how rushed the second disc felt.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Monster Hunter World Iceborne came out on PC today and I am just ecstatic.

I want to love Monster Hunter so much, but there's just so much shit going on it's always difficult for me to keep everything straight. I found Dauntless to be a good, simpler alternative. :laugh:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Now cyberpunk delayed till September 17. What the f*** is even the point of making these release dates at this point. That’s the 3rd major title to get a delay after Last of Us 2 and FF7.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Now cyberpunk delayed till September 17. What the **** is even the point of making these release dates at this point. That’s the 3rd major title to get a delay after Last of Us 2 and FF7.

That's why I think companies like Blizzard and Rockstar were notorious for their "it's ready when it's ready" approach.

Reactions: Kupo

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
That's why I think companies like Blizzard and Rockstar were notorious for their "it's ready when it's ready" approach.
They’re big (and I guess trusted) enough to have that luxury, Valve is in a similar but even more exaggerated place because they can just never make a game again and still be making millions/billions off Steam. All the other game studios have to answer to production companies who give them money to make the games or who just outright own the studios at this point.

Part of me feels like the way this is all done is unsustainable and there’s a bubble that’s going to burst at some point, but then it’s also pretty much how all the ‘art’-for-profit stuff works

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
A once big retro StarCraft fan, I play Brood War excessively but that is few and far between.

Modern Warfare is pretty cool, best CoD that has been made in a long time (I do not buy a new CoD every October, either, but MW is a timeless classic).

With Source 2, you would imagine that the emergence of Half-Life 3 and other modded games like Counter Strike and Team Fortress would follow the same runtime engine.

New NVIDIA GPUs are releasing, looking forward to getting my hands on it. Also, price range should be less than a 2080Ti and while an increased, yet noticeable performance difference.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Playing Fallen Order. Started on Jedi Master difficulty. Playing now on Story mode.
“Why?” I hear you ask...

Because this old dog wants to be entertained, not focused on micro-timing parries etc etc etc.

Force pushing stormtroopers off cliffs reminds me of Skyrim and the Unrelenting Force shout.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Now cyberpunk delayed till September 17. What the **** is even the point of making these release dates at this point. That’s the 3rd major title to get a delay after Last of Us 2 and FF7.

for the hype.

I’d rather these people take their time and get shit right prior to release date than releasing something that needs to be patched a billion times or requires multiple DLC’s to really be considered “complete”

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
for the hype.

I’d rather these people take their time and get **** right prior to release date than releasing something that needs to be patched a billion times or requires multiple DLC’s to really be considered “complete”
You know that’s still going to be the case anyway :neener:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
for the hype.

I’d rather these people take their time and get **** right prior to release date than releasing something that needs to be patched a billion times or requires multiple DLC’s to really be considered “complete”

I definitely dont mind them taking their time, but I’d rather they take all the time in the world and give a realistic release date instead of rushing to say a date that they aren’t 100% sure they are going to make.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Playing Fallen Order. Started on Jedi Master difficulty. Playing now on Story mode.
“Why?” I hear you ask...

Because this old dog wants to be entertained, not focused on micro-timing parries etc etc etc.

Force pushing stormtroopers off cliffs reminds me of Skyrim and the Unrelenting Force shout.

I actually completely understand the whole story mode approach. If I remember games fondly years later, it's typically because the story captivated me or the environment pulled me in.

It's rarely, if ever, because I found the puzzles amazing or fondly remember the asset management.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I'm fine with game developers delaying products until they're happy with the final product. Thing about 2077 that's weird to me is that now it's right before the Series X comes out. Do you wait and play it on the new console or do you play it because you can't wait anymore and crush it before the Series x even releases?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just watched this...mah-ko?! I’ve literately never heard anyone not call it may-ko
I've actually heard more people call it mah-ko. I've ALWAYS pronounced it may-ko though.

That trailer was mind blowing. The last 40 seconds or so where they played the boss theme... hit me right in the feels. This game was such a major part of my childhood. To know that Part I is only 2.5 months away is amazing. I cannot wait.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
After advent children and whatever they did to my poor poor kingdom hearts story I cannot let go of the fear that this is going to go wrong. Its felt like the story/writing part of square fell off a cliff many years ago

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If I remember games fondly years later, it's typically because the story captivated me or the environment pulled me in.

It's rarely, if ever, because I...fondly remember the asset management.
The bolded only occurs when you think back to the late 90's NYR handling or prospects, draft picks and trades.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Regarding pronunciations- it will always be si-FEE-rowth to me. First time I heard it as SEH-fi-ROTH I was like y'all gtfoh with that crap

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
After advent children and whatever they did to my poor poor kingdom hearts story I cannot let go of the fear that this is going to go wrong. Its felt like the story/writing part of square fell off a cliff many years ago
Was KH 1 and 2's dialogue and weird pauses as awkward and bad as it was in KH3? I don't remember it being an issue for me but I was also much younger and less discerning. It was painful to listen to when I gave it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad