The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
There were Aliens in that movie dude...

ZAR is dosing the water on a player each time one gets back so he keeps his spot then....now I got it. All lower body injuries ..
ZAR is Monstar-ing our skaters so he can finally be healthy and get his opportunities galore! It’s all starting to make sense.

C37A5798-EB6C-4B2A-AA67-06D46198385D.jpeg

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Im also calling BS on a few of these injuries. Obviously not Sid, Bjugstad, and the obvious ones. But as soon as someone came back another would get hurt immediately with a "lower body injury"? Yet we didnt see it? And in two or 3 or them happening in practice? Rust was Fine then hes in a boot and limping. Only misses a handful of games tho. I think both Rust and PH going out for 2nd time was planned. Two vets, taking one for the team. Them wanting guys like McCann, Kahun, Tanev, etc to continue to get more responsibility. Not just by having to move up to top 6 but knowing these games are gonna rely alot more on them now. With us having a depleted bottom 6. Also allowing Malkin and his linemates to take over.

Great strategy. Got the team back to 2015-16 style of play. Whether it's true or not Ill choose to believe this was the case.

Hornqvist when Sully asks him to fake an injury

85q0SIe.gif

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hornqvist when Sully asks him to fake an injury

85q0SIe.gif

Hes a team player. The Viking should have been on line 1 over Simon yet still took it like a champ. His numbers suffered due to it. Was put in mainly defensive role for playoffs and that cost us. He takes it out in Worlds lol. 10g 6a.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Penguins analytics update:

The Good:
  • The Team at 5v5: We still lead the league in xGF% (55.6%), we're 10th in xGF/G (1.9) and 1st in xGA/G (1.5). Who would have thought that we'd be the best defensive team in hockey this year?
  • Evgeni Malkin: Has literally been the best player in the NHL. 99th percentile production rate, 100th percentile xGF. No one in the NHL has generated more offence when they're on the ice than Malkin.
  • Bryan Rust: Similarly incredible across the board, just slightly less production.
  • Kahun and McCann: Both players have been incredibly strong this year, although their high production is slightly driven by luck (neither have been good offensive chance generators but both have been 99th percentile defensive players).
  • Jake Guentzel: 93rd percentile in points, 95th in xGF%, and 94th in game score. Who needs Sid, right?
  • Kris Letang: Has been even better defensively than offensively, and he's been fantastic offensively. Doing everything we could ask of him.
  • John Marino: It's just ridiculous. Letang has been elite this year and Marino has been exactly as good. 99th percentile defensive player - the best defensive results of any defenceman in the NHL. Analytically, Marino has been the best defensive defenceman in the league, period. And he's done this while producing as well as Letang.
  • Lafferty and Tanev: Lafferty has been the stronger of the two for sure, incredible defensively and producing very well too. Tanev's underlying numbers are weaker but his penalty differential is stunning. Interesting that Tanev has been by far our worst offensive player - 17th percentile at generating xGF. Makes up for it with elite defence though.
  • Zach f***ing Aston-Reese: For the 8th week in a row. 48th percentile production - very good for a 4th liner! 100th percentile defence. Seriously we are 30 games into the season, this is not a fluke. And this isn't just expected goals - dude has been on the ice for 6 fewer goals against than average, the best rate on our team (tied with Kahun).
  • Tristan Jarry: No goalie has faced easier shots than Tristan Jarry. But no goalie has exceeded expectations more than him too. At even strength, Jarry has saved 0.7 xG/60, the highest rate in the NHL. All told, Jarry has saved 3.7 goals more than expected of him, the 10th highest total in the NHL - especially impressive considering he's played only 11 games.
The Meh:
  • The Rest of Our Defence: The rest of our main defencemen have been almost identical results-wise bizarrely - strong possession numbers, okay production. Difference is that Dumo and JJ have great defensive numbers and blah offensive ones, and Schultz and Pettersson have been about equally good at both. Nothing to complain about.
  • Blueger: Has had very good underlying numbers lately, but not stunning relative to the team. Still we could hardly ask anything more of a 4th line centre.
  • Simon: Similarly decent underlying numbers but dragging a little relative to the team, could use some more production. Very good offensively at generating chances though.
  • The Penalty Kill: Has dropped recently to 14th in the NHL in PKGA/60. We're also 14th in xPKGA/60, so no bad luck there.
  • The Powerplay: Still 24th in PPG/60. But has some excuses for now. However, we're actually 6th in xPPG/60, so our luck could change soon.
The Bad:
  • Alex Galchenyuk: sigh. The production's not bad - 75th percentile for primary points rate. But straight up bad xGF% numbers both offensively and defensively. And a 2nd percentile score for relative xGF. That's unacceptable on a team that's dominating like we are. He's our worst forward right now, far worse than Simon or Aston-Reese.
  • Matt Murray: 3rd last in the NHL in Goals Saved Above Expected at -12.9. 10th last in the NHL in GSAx/60. An 88.9% even strength save percentage. He's gotta figure it out fast.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I love that Evgeni Malkin is probably one of the 3 or 4 top overall players in the league right now (and for weeks) yet hardly anyone is talking about it.

No really... I love it. Keep sleeping on this guy. Makes the Penguins job much easier. I hope these opposing coaches and players all gulped down the Kool Aid so many people (even on his own team and within that fanbase) were selling this past offseason.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I love that Evgeni Malkin is probably one of the 3 or 4 top overall players in the league right now (and for weeks) yet hardly anyone is talking about it.

No really... I love it. Keep sleeping on this guy. Makes the Penguins job much easier. I hope these opposing coaches and players all gulped down the Kool Aid so many people (even on this own team and fanbase) were selling this past offseason.

I mean, the only time people talk about Malkin here was that weird game or two where posters here were just HATING on Geno. It was so stupid. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Alex Galaxywalker...
icrLtYo.gif

Me and my mistress... Cassiopeia Galaxywalker, out of wedlock, had a illegitimate son who she hid on earth so I couldn't find you because I wouldn't leave my wife, but she found out and she left me and had 2 more children I didn't know about.

Yes... You have a brother and sister...

PresentActualCony-size_restricted.gif

Come to the Darkside.... and I will complete your training.

Only then, will your true powers be brought out for the Penguins to understand who you truly are...

original.gif

Join me. Together.... we will rule the Penguin Universe as Father and Son.

LnXhm32.gif

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Im also calling BS on a few of these injuries. Obviously not Sid, Bjugstad, and the obvious ones. But as soon as someone came back another would get hurt immediately with a "lower body injury"? Yet we didnt see it? And in two or 3 or them happening in practice? Rust was Fine then hes in a boot and limping. Only misses a handful of games tho. I think both Rust and PH going out for 2nd time was planned. Two vets, taking one for the team. Them wanting guys like McCann, Kahun, Tanev, etc to continue to get more responsibility. Not just by having to move up to top 6 but knowing these games are gonna rely alot more on them now. With us having a depleted bottom 6. Also allowing Malkin and his linemates to take over.

Great strategy. Got the team back to 2015-16 style of play. Whether it's true or not Ill choose to believe this was the case.
giphy.gif

You think Sully would hold out key players so that younger players would get more responsibility? Especially during a time we are in line for only the wildcard and need every point?

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I mean, the only time people talk about Malkin here was that weird game or two where posters here were just HATING on Geno. It was so stupid. :laugh:

I'll admit I was certainly a little quick to think he had lost as much of a step as I had thought he had. But I saw it as him being older and injury riddled through his career, and I doubted him. I will pleasantly eat crow on that. Geno has been my favorite player since his smythe run when i was a younger lad. So i'm thrilled to see he has still got it

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d just like to know why the Pens always seem to get short shrift when it comes to being the team vs playing the team with rest...we just came off playing the Wings who had four days rest before playing us and now we’re playing the Habs coming off of four days rest. How is that fair?....the BJs also get an extra day of rest before they play us...

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I’d just like to know why the Pens always seem to get short shrift when it comes to being the team vs playing the team with rest...we just came off playing the Wings who had four days rest before playing us and now we’re playing the Habs coming off of four days rest. How is that fair?....the BJs also get an extra day of rest before they play us...

We get two days off which is decent compared to every other or a back to back...I feel like anytime we have too much time off we suck so I'm good with it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

It's a time zone things.

Those teams didn't actually get rest.

They're playing the Pens on their day from tomorrow while the Pens are playing them on their last night.

It makes a lot more sense when you see the calendar diagrams in Toronto. Of course.

KeyGrossCondor-size_restricted.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'll admit I was certainly a little quick to think he had lost as much of a step as I had thought he had. But I saw it as him being older and injury riddled through his career, and I doubted him. I will pleasantly eat crow on that. Geno has been my favorite player since his smythe run when i was a younger lad. So i'm thrilled to see he has still got it

There were circumstances last season that seemed to big factors into his down season (even though he still put up points).

Elite players get the benefit of the doubt especially someone like Geno.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
There were circumstances last season that seemed to big factors into his down season (even though he still put up points).

Elite players get the benefit of the doubt especially someone like Geno.

I was skeptical he could get back to playing a responsible game so late in his career after having played with Phil the last 4 or 5 years. But I never questioned his willingness to "buy in"

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup. You want to extend the Cup window? Maximize Sid and Geno even if it means sacrificing some depth to do so.

Good news is I think Marino can soon by that Letang lite that helps Geno's line. Personally, I'd like to see Petterson figure his shit out and play with Letang and Dumo-Marino behind Geno.

Get Galchenyuk and Bjugstad out and find that winger for Geno-Rust

Reactions: KIRK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm starting to see the Galy is inevitable trade articles popping up all over the place...
I'm all for it. He Brassard'd us.

Reactions: PhilThrillPill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad