The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Saying he sucks is taking it a little far. He hasn't been bad, he's been meh. People want to see him play because he has shown flashes of a creativity that would be great to have on the bottom pairing. I might get roasted for this, but in my opinion he's the best thinking defenseman this team has at the point on the power play. Problem is, he just hasn't been productive enough offensively and there are other defensemen trying to get in the lineup who are more reliable defensively.

He is one of those players that looks busy. I don’t know if that is a good thing.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yes and yes.

But there are some GMs out there that continue to get fooled into taking a hot player who ends up falling off. You know who they are. Same ones that keep losing trades. Any good GM that wants AG , definitely isn't judging his 20 games here, I agree.

Yeah trade value can sometimes go beyond common sense for sure depending on circumstances like needing to make playoffs, GM under the pump etc.

Im sure everyone knows Chucky is a good player (he is) but he’s just not working out here.

Probability wise I don’t see much changing his value but there are also things we don’t know too (including what goes through a bad GM’s mind :laugh:)

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
He is one of those players that looks busy. I don’t know if that is a good thing.

I think Riikola is definitely overrated by fans (well here anyway).

I don’t think he is that good but there is potential and I guess people see those rare occasions he does something real well and think we just have to play him more.

Perfectly fine how he’s being used.

Reactions: ncm7772

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think Riikola is definitely overrated by fans (well here anyway).

I don’t think he is that good but there is potential and I guess people see those rare occasions he does something real well and think we just have to play him more.

Perfectly fine how he’s being used.

He also came at a time when we were desperate for Dmen. Before Petts and Marino. Now we even have PO Joseph working his way up eventually. And Almari, Reilly, etc.

Riikola is 26. Still RFA so we should def keep for cheap. But yeah, Ruh was here getting PT when we won b2b cups. Him being back in there is just another example of how similar this team is to those teams.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Riikola isnt bad but he isnt great. He does have a huge bomb though and at times looked pretty good on the powerplay. I think thats why people like him. Having a good point shot is very flashy and makes people notice you.

He would be a fine 6 2nd pp guy if he had the right partner. Unfortunately the they cant afford him to be number 6 when jj is more suited for that.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Maybe it’s the fact Ruhwedel has 3 points in seven compared to “takes chances and tries to scores” Riikola’s 1 point in 12.

I also think there is not spot for Riikola. He is left handed and doesnt play well on the right side.

He isnt gona play over
Dumo
Marino
Petts
JJ

The right side you have
Letang
Marino (obviously not playing both but he has been switch around with dumo hurt.
Schultz

Ruh is better on the right side and it shows.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I also think there is not spot for Riikola. He is left handed and doesnt play well on the right side.

He isnt gona play over
Dumo
Marino
Petts
JJ

The right side you have
Letang
Marino (obviously not playing both but he has been switch around with dumo hurt.
Schultz

Ruh is better on the right side and it shows.

He should play over JJ. Sure JJ has been fine this season, but Riikola would not be any worse that JJ. If anything he would be better, as he can make better 1st pass, he has better hockey sense , he is faster/better skater than JJ, and can actually shoot the puck and get it on the net (wish i could say the same of certain #1 d man that pens have) He is being screwed around by Sulli just like quite a few other players have been in last 2 seasons unfortunately (see Ian Cole)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He should play over JJ. Sure JJ has been fine this season, but Riikola would not be any worse that JJ. If anything he would be better, as he can make better 1st pass, he has better hockey sense , he is faster/better skater than JJ, and can actually shoot the puck and get it on the net (wish i could say the same of certain #1 d man that pens have) He is being screwed around by Sulli just like quite a few other players have been in last 2 seasons unfortunately (see Ian Cole)

I keep seeing people saying this without providing any justification for why Riikola would "not be any worse" than JJ. That seems to be a common trend with people who defend Riikola though, they don't really provide any support pieces outside of "I think this is true about Riikola".

Riikola's not playing because he's not a good player, there's really no mystery there. He's an OFD who can't produce, has issues defensively and is prone to making bad decisions.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I keep seeing people saying this without providing any justification for why Riikola would "not be any worse" than JJ. That seems to be a common trend with people who defend Riikola though, they don't really provide any support pieces outside of "I think this is true about Riikola".

Riikola's not playing because he's not a good player, there's really no mystery there. He's an OFD who can't produce, has issues defensively and is prone to making bad decisions.

Riikola has had games where he's straight DOMINATED possession and been scratched the next game regardless. And this despite being forced to switch sides and positions at will.

Meanwhile JJ can stink it up for an entire season and still get the benefit of the doubt.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Riikola has had games where he's straight DOMINATED possession and been scratched the next game regardless. And this despite being forced to switch sides and positions at will.

Meanwhile JJ can stink it up for an entire season and still get the benefit if the doubt.

This is not a rebuttal to what I posted. Yeah, no duh a bad 13 year veteran gets more rope to be bad than a bad rookie. That's how every coach operates. And in JJ's case, showing that patience with him has resulted in him being at least great defensively and on the PK this year. What has Riikola shown so far that suggests that Sullivan has handled him improperly?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is not a rebuttal to what I posted. Yeah, no duh a bad 13 year veteran gets more rope to be bad than a bad rookie. That's how every coach operates. And in JJ's case, showing that patience with him has resulted in him being at least great defensively and on the PK this year. What has Riikola shown so far that suggests that Sullivan has handled him improperly?

Riikola has taken whatever role the coach throws at him without complaint and, like I said, has had games where he's dominated possession at his natural position only to be scratched the next. Hard to imagine a worse situation for a defenseman trying to establish himself in the league.

I'd say that deserves a fair amount of rope.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Riikola has taken whatever role the coach throws at him without complaint and, like I said, has had games where he's dominated possession at his natural position only to be scratched the next. Hard to imagine a worse situation for a defenseman trying to establish himself in the league.

I'd say that deserves a fair amount of rope.

Riikola last year when given a fairly decent size of sample had a 45% CF and - rel Corsi.

His numbers this year are a slight improvement on that. Funny how this coaching staff has been patient with both Petts and Marino. Riikola was their first choice to step in as a D. He didn’t prove to add anything Ruh couldn’t. That’s the way it is.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
an answer would be nice. What on earth is bait
giphy.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Riikola last year when given a fairly decent size of sample had a 45% CF and - rel Corsi.

His numbers this year are a slight improvement on that. Funny how this coaching staff has been patient with both Petts and Marino. Riikola was their first choice to step in as a D. He didn’t prove to add anything Ruh couldn’t. That’s the way it is.

Playing with JJ. Again, on his off side.

And he still outperformed him.

Maybe if they kept him in the line-up and played him on his natural side at his natural position, he'd do even better. Crazy thought.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'll be in Seattle for the next 3 Pens games. Should be interesting to start watching the games at 4PM. :laugh:

It's the best.

And then, you can find a 7pm west coast game to finish the night with.

I'd never watch a west coast game in the east...10pm start? Ha!-no thanks

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Playing with JJ. Again, on his off side.

And he still outperformed him.

Maybe if they kept him in the line-up and played him on his natural side at his natural position, he'd do even better. Crazy thought.

Riikola is not as good as JJ...wow that's hard to type but true.

Riikola is a trooper I'll give him that but nothing about his eye test or underlying stats make me think he's going to be part of our top 6 D. He's destined as a 7D.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The reality is they should TRY Riiko in JJ's postition when fully healthy but they won't.
Another reason why getting another D-Man would be nice cuz fully healthy Riiko is an after thought and JJ may be HS'ed.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Was hoping to hear he was skating by now, at least. 4+ weeks since surgery. They did say “at least” 6 weeks before he returns, so it’s not surprising.

Timeline was around the Canucks game on the 21st December if he had a steady recovery (which I don’t know)

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad