The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not making this up but I’m 99% sure it’s 87 games.
I just posted the numbers, but that is from November 28. So you have Sid, Bjug, and Rust out for 3 games and Dumo don't factor in so that is 9 more man games.

Roughly 97 man games lost for the Penguins at the 27th game of the season mark.

That is f***ing INSANE.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can this be right?
Detroit has more injuries? I find that hard to believe, but I don't follow them.

NHL top 5 teams, man-games lost to injury and illness.

DET 96
PIT 88
WPG BUF 82
EDM 81

NHL top 5, points in standings lost due to injured players (Lost-ps metric, lost point shares due to injured players)

1 PIT 7.91 points lost
2 COL 5.73
3 BUF 4.62
4 ARI 3.31
5 TOR 3.24

Detroit has 2 LTIR guys in Zetterberg and Franzen who'll never play again.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Detroit has 2 LTIR guys in Zetterberg and Franzen who'll never play again.
Ok cool. So they played 30 games this season so far so knock off 60 man games lost with those two players and the penguins are soaring high in first place of man games lost easily.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So of the roughly 97 MGL... the Penguins average 3.59 players injured per game day. yo

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Now you have my second guessing my bad luck take.
boo-boo bennett would love to be on this team. He'd be hurt day 1 before a game and be out half the season only to play 5 games and get hurt again and miss the whole season. For the first time he'd fit right in.

giphy.gif

Let’s put it like this even though it’s not a 1 for 1 comparison. In F1 if an engine blows it can probably be traced back to things like quality control, design flaws, maintenance, mechanics, not catching the problem sooner or how the engine was treated. They’ll dig into finding what the cause was. If a driver hits a curb at the exact right angle to break the suspension, it’s that they made a mistake but got disproportionately punished. There will be some bad luck but a lot of things can be traced back to a mistake somewhere. You can write things off as bad luck but that doesn’t fix or improve anything. I’d look at bad luck as something that’s out of your control like Dumoulin, or Rust being disproportionately punished for blocking a shot like he’s expected. Now, maybe it is all bad luck. It’s certainly persisted for a long time and across a lot of changes. It’s that right now, the more LBIs they add to the list, the more likely it is that there’s a tangible problem unique to this season.

Poor BB.

Any takers on Murray going down next?

If Vegas took injury bets I'd give that some action.

Player injured should be in all of our next predict it threads.

I’m waiting for “Murray is out longer term and was playing injured. God forbid we learn not to do that.”

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
giphy.gif

Let’s put it like this even though it’s not a 1 for 1 comparison. In F1 if an engine blows it can probably be traced back to things like quality control, design flaws, maintenance, mechanics, not catching the problem sooner or how the engine was treated. They’ll dig into finding what the cause was. If a driver hits a curb at the exact right angle to break the suspension, it’s that they made a mistake but got disproportionately punished. There will be some bad luck but a lot of things can be traced back to a mistake somewhere. You can write things off as bad luck but that doesn’t fix or improve anything. I’d look at bad luck as something that’s out of your control like Dumoulin, or Rust being disproportionately punished for blocking a shot like he’s expected. Now, maybe it is all bad luck. It’s certainly persisted for a long time and across a lot of changes. It’s that right now, the more LBIs they add to the list, the more likely it is that there’s a tangible problem unique to this season.

Poor BB.

I’m waiting for “Murray is out longer term and was playing injured. God forbid we learn not to do that.”
We have advanced stats for everything today - but is there an adv stat injury sheet somewhere? Who was on the ice when players got injured? Where they were when they got injured? How they were injured?
If not there is an opening for one of you adv stat guys to get hired by the league or something to track that.

All told, I hate those advance stat color blurbs that are so confusing to look at, but I have a high interest in how/when/why/etc players got injured (go figure) and I think that would be interesting for us to see. Since there are so damned many of them.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Glad he has that record and the Caps got their first cup.

Imagine what it would’ve been like if he could actually score more than 2 goals in his last 16 playoff games with us!

Oh, you're back to using goals as the measure of a player's worth. Well, we know the conversation's not about Galchenyuk.

Also happy one year anniversary of Anaheim taking us to lunch on the Sprong deal.

Is it the anniversary of Guentzel for Bennett yet? ;)

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Oh, you're back to using goals as the measure of a player's worth. Well, we know the conversation's not about Galchenyuk.

Is it the anniversary of Guentzel for Bennett yet? ;)

Dude, give it up. Kessel here trying to drive a line with fill-in linemates would be beyond hilariously pathetic. Unless you think he'd be with Geno on line one...neutering the f*** out of that.

Give up on this crusade. You're going to be on the wrong side of history.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He deserved it for telling Geno not to invest in cryptocurrency. :sarcasm:
I thought it would be for getting geno addicted to fortnite, but battle royale games weren't a thing yet at that point.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I just posted the numbers, but that is from November 28. So you have Sid, Bjug, and Rust out for 3 games and Dumo don't factor in so that is 9 more man games.

Roughly 97 man games lost for the Penguins at the 27th game of the season mark.

That is ****ing INSANE.
My bad. I thought I had seen a tweet listing it at 87. Thanks.

Reactions: shoplifter

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is it wrong to want to see Petts-Marino play together while at the same time having to avert my eyes when JJ-Letang is on the ice tonight? How am I going to manage opening and then closing my eyes when certain D pairings are on the ice? Will I permanently damage my corneas?

Is the answer Jesus?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad