The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
just wait for them to fall out of the playoffs and Sid suits up with half of his intestines hanging out
I give it half of a period before he's able to "kick" the puck to his stick with his guts. :naughty:

I mean, steps are being taken.

We’ll find out they’re all deathly allergic to sage or someone would fall into the burning garbage can.
:laugh:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
It's been noted by many, many people, that Sid practices like it's a game. Hard every drill and hard on every puck. When the captain goes, the rest of the team usually follows. After a few years of practicing like that, the rest of the team would just pick it up take it as normal. I don't think it really has anything to do with Sullivan or any coach before him.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's been noted by many, many people, that Sid practices like it's a game. Hard every drill and hard on every puck. When the captain goes, the rest of the team usually follows. After a few years of practicing like that, the rest of the team would just pick it up take it as normal. I don't think it really has anything to do with Sullivan or any coach before him.
But after a few years the team sheds its skin and is basically a completely new set of players top to bottom minus the core of 4 and the injuries still persist.

Craig Adams and Kessel were the only immune ones. Maybe Kessel and Adams would survive a zombie outbreak as well....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If you don’t go with it all being bad luck, I think everything becomes a factor or potential factor. Maybe they practice too hard, maybe they play too hard, maybe it’s injury prone players, maybe it’s aging players, maybe it’s the ice, maybe it’s the system, maybe it’s the trainers, maybe it’s the medical staff, etc. I say the simplest answer is that it’s usually a lot of things and whatever we label luck as, but the amount of LBIs are new for them. If it were concussions, some UBIs, some soft tissue LBIs and some broken feet from shot blocking, it would be different. I think the only outliers are ZAR being diseased and Rust breaking his hand. Even the preseason ones were AJ having an LBI and Trotman’s sports hernia surgery. WBS is less known to me but Bjorkvist blew his knee out.

Bylsma was the moustache boy coach and with an almost entirely different roster they still had abysmal runs of injuries and health problems under him. You’re just left being like, “well, we’ll call it bad luck or an injury curse.” Except right now how everyone is falling apart from the waist down.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If you don’t go with it all being bad luck, I think everything becomes a factor or potential factor. Maybe they practice too hard, maybe they play too hard, maybe it’s injury prone players, maybe it’s aging players, maybe it’s the ice, maybe it’s the system, maybe it’s the trainers, maybe it’s the medical staff, etc. I say the simplest answer is that it’s usually a lot of things and whatever we label luck as, but the amount of LBIs are new for them. If it were concussions, some UBIs, some soft tissue LBIs and some broken feet from shot blocking, it would be different. I think the only outliers are ZAR being diseased and Rust breaking his hand. Even the preseason ones were AJ having an LBI and Trotman’s sports hernia surgery. WBS is less known to me but Bjorkvist blew his knee out.

Bylsma was the moustache boy coach and with an almost entirely different roster they still had abysmal runs of injuries and health problems under him. You’re just left being like, “well, we’ll call it bad luck or an injury curse.” Except right now how everyone is falling apart from the waist down.

needs more maybe

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
But after a few years the team sheds its skin and is basically a completely new set of players top to bottom minus the core of 4 and the injuries still persist.

Craig Adams and Kessel were the only immune ones. Maybe Kessel and Adams would survive a zombie outbreak as well....

Nah. Kessel had hand surgery here and was hobbled after falling on the PP retrieving the puck with no one near him. Adams was just allowed to play through everything, turned his gear into a suit of armour and was so bad you couldn’t tell anyway. Craigers for sure couldn’t out run anything by now so he’d die early. They didn’t miss games but certainly weren’t immune. Adams was all ego, and Kessel was ego and them needing him playing for most of the time he was seriously hurt.

Even guys like Dupuis, Staal and Fleury who were iron men for the Pens eventually fell victim to it. It was more that some of them didn’t get injured badly enough to be forced out for a long time.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just find it hard to believe it is anything other than bad luck. I mean look at some of the injuries. Dumo got felled onto his leg cause guy lost his balance forechecking, not dumos fault at all. Bjug the guy gets bumped into a collapses like he got freight trained. Geno had Tang run into him when he was on his knee's.

I mean most of them are just bad f***ing luck. I can't speak for the practices. usually Murray was king of concussions taken in practice, but now the rest of the team says hold my beer.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I just find it hard to believe it is anything other than bad luck. I mean look at some of the injuries. Dumo got felled onto his leg cause guy lost his balance forechecking, not dumos fault at all. Bjug the guy gets bumped into a collapses like he got freight trained. Geno had Tang run into him when he was on his knee's.

I mean most of them are just bad ****ing luck. I can't speak for the practices. usually Murray was king of concussions taken in practice, but now the rest of the team says hold my beer.

A lot of the time bad luck has an actual explanation. The Bjugstad and Malkin injuries are arguably players getting hurt by innocuous things they should have walked away from. Those are two that really make me wonder and they’re looking at the training for a reason. It’s not bad luck if players didn’t train properly and it’s left them vulnerable to LBIs. You don’t immediately jump to bad luck if small things are causing serious injuries. Particularly since those injuries are so similar. There are always some you can write off as bad luck like Dumoulin’s ankle but they’re not all that.

The practice injuries aren’t new or unique to Murray either. Whiffle ball with Neal, Bennett got tripped by Sill, Fleury got concussed, Crosby got concussed, ZAR got hurt.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
A lot of the time bad luck has an actual explanation. The Bjugstad and Malkin injuries are arguably players getting hurt by innocuous things they should have walked away from. Those are two that really make me wonder and they’re looking at the training for a reason. It’s not bad luck if players didn’t train properly and it’s left them vulnerable to LBIs. You don’t immediately jump to bad luck if small things are causing serious injuries. Particularly since those injuries are so similar. There are always some you can write off as bad luck like Dumoulin’s ankle but they’re not all that.

The practice injuries aren’t new or unique to Murray either. Whiffle ball with Neal, Bennett got tripped by Sill, Fleury got concussed, Crosby got concussed, ZAR got hurt.
Now you have my second guessing my bad luck take.
boo-boo bennett would love to be on this team. He'd be hurt day 1 before a game and be out half the season only to play 5 games and get hurt again and miss the whole season. For the first time he'd fit right in.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Any takers on Murray going down next?

If Vegas took injury bets I'd give that some action.

Player injured should be in all of our next predict it threads.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is this a good time to bring up Kessel's 802-and-counting game iron man streak, currently 7th in NHL history?

NHL Records

Glad he has that record and the Caps got their first cup.

Imagine what it would’ve been like if he could actually score more than 2 goals in his last 16 playoff games with us!

Also happy one year anniversary of Anaheim taking us to lunch on the Sprong deal.

He’ll forever be remembered for this pivotal moment in Ducks history!

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone know our man games lost count?
If not I'll look into it in a few I'm kinda busy atm.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Penguins pre-game warmups song should be Gloria Gaynor: I will survive
It would so appropriate.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Can this be right?
Detroit has more injuries? I find that hard to believe, but I don't follow them.

NHL top 5 teams, man-games lost to injury and illness.

DET 96
PIT 88
WPG BUF 82
EDM 81

NHL top 5, points in standings lost due to injured players (Lost-ps metric, lost point shares due to injured players)

1 PIT 7.91 points lost
2 COL 5.73
3 BUF 4.62
4 ARI 3.31
5 TOR 3.24

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad