• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

“I can’t really say right now exactly what it is I’m missing, but you’ve got to figure it out and you don’t have all the time in the world,” Wennberg said. “I’m not taking it (lightly) and being like ‘just wait and see.’ I’m trying to work on things and make it better. That’s my mindset.”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
GREAT. Playing against who and where were the vast majority of starting faceoffs??

If there's ANY situation your line cant be put out in, your a liability.

You have your "numbers" and "statistics", I have my eyes and the truth.

M-CBJ-G-A

You could have 100% offensive zone starts (which translates to more like starting half of your shifts in the offensive zone), and play against other team's 3rd lines, and still not be expected to win 17-5. 17-5! Those are the results bus. Not fancy stats, results!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You could have 100% offensive zone starts (which translates to more like starting half of your shifts in the offensive zone), and play against other team's 3rd lines, and still not be expected to win 17-5. 17-5! Those are the results bus. Not fancy stats, results!

Against who?

Just like this Duclair-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand isn't going out against the toughest lines and asked to stop them.

They are asked to go out and score.

That's what the Wennberg-Vanek line was asked to do.

Do you remember WHO ELSE was on that line?? You know the redundant grinder who actually MADE THINGS HAPPEN on the ice and for that line. Yea, look at his play NOW compared to the other 2.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Against who?

Just like this Duclair-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand isn't going out against the toughest lines and asked to stop them.

They are asked to go out and score.

That's what the Wennberg-Vanek line was asked to do.

Do you remember WHO ELSE was on that line?? You know the redundant grinder who actually MADE THINGS HAPPEN on the ice and for that line. Yea, look at his play NOW compared to the other 2.

Wennberg supposedly had a great 20 games against mostly competition that was out of playoff contention.

He's worth a $100 Walmart gift card, a llama, two rabbits and an autographed picture of Opie.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Wont harp on it as somewhat unrelated to Wennberg, but...

NHL.com - Stats

Werenski...48 games...1 goal-8 assists-9 points....126 min

Jones.....41 games....0 goals-6 assists-6 points.....114 min

Its about even in minutes. I'd argue that the powerplay is hurting because Jones isn't counted on more.

Its NOT as if he cant produce on the powerplay. Look at just last year.

NHL.com - Stats

To make this relevant to Wennberg and this conversation, look at the PP TOI numbers from 2016/17...especially the top 5 guys.

NHL.com - Stats

Werenski: 217 min
Foligno: 212 min
Wennberg: 211 min
Atkinson: 207 min
Gagner: 196 min

What about #6? (really 7 as Saad had a few more min)

Jones: 124 min

Big jump in numbers.

Which made me interested in league leaders in PP TOI and where those guys from 16/17 ranked.

NHL.com - Stats

Werenski, Wennberg and others were just about 70th-90th overall. I found it interesting and puts into perspective how important the PP and PP TOI is, for not only team success but also personal statistical success.

My original point was in regards to this year. Not 2016/2017. I believe Jones has garnered the majority of the time on the PP this year and it has recently switched to Werenski running the point. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the PP was better in 2016/2017 than it is today.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This is a dangerous argument to be making considering that there's plenty of situations in which some players you're very fond of should not be out on the ice.

Oh yeah, who and when?

Also, according to who? People that know things about hockey?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
alexander wennberg

My original point was in regards to this year. Not 2016/2017. I believe Jones has garnered the majority of the time on the PP this year and it has recently switched to Werenski running the point. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the PP was better in 2016/2017 than it is today.

Well I'm not really sure who's been the "go to" defenseman, during which stretches, but I'm fairly certain they've essentially been flip flopping the entire year. Jones missed a big chunk of games at the beginning of the year, then when he came back, yes, it seems like they then went heavy on him, and now "recently" have been given Werenski the main looks.

Jones has played only a tiny bit more on average. 12 less minutes in 7 less games.

The "numbers" say that really neither guy has been "good". Scoring goals anyway. To my eyes it seems like Jones has been better, BUT, there is no reason he should have 0 PP goals this late into the season. But, there is a reason for that, and he and the team are at fault is some way.

My idea to help the PP is to run 3 forwards and 2 defenseman, get Murray and Nutivaara out there more and/or even Savard or Kukan. Or yes, get Jones on the ice (with Panarin) as much as possible.

alexander wennberg

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I have him for 6 assists in his last 25 games. No goals in case you wondered.

No goals in his last 32 games. One goal in his last 56 games (almost the anti Joe Dimaggio hitting streak).

Needs to be given away in a trade or bought out at the bargain under 25 years old rate of 1/3rd. He's beyond a mere slump. He needs a change of scenery or a change of career at this point.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

No goals in his last 32 games. One goal in his last 56 games (almost the anti Joe Dimaggio hitting streak).

Needs to be given away in a trade or bought out at the bargain under 25 years old rate of 1/3rd. He's beyond a mere slump. He needs a change of scenery or a change of career at this point.
At this point he strikes me as someone who plays hockey for money and that's about it. Perhaps that would/could change under a different coach but he really seems like he's tuned Torts out. Perhaps Martin St.Louis could jump start his career again. I know he has helped Cam out in the past

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
At this point he strikes me as someone who plays hockey for money and that's about it. Perhaps that would/could change under a different coach but he really seems like he's tuned Torts out. Perhaps Martin St.Louis could jump start his career again. I know he has helped Cam out in the past
If he (St. Louis) can't get him going over the next 20 games or so, then I would think that it's time to move on from him.

I find him to be a passionless player as well. He got his $$ and I wouldn't be surprised if that's his primary motivation. If that's true and he's bought out for a 1/3rd, then that will be richly deserved. Someone would sign him, but it would be a lower money, last chance deal for him.

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree. I think Wennie is playing for the money not the love of the game. And after he got clocked in that playoff game against the Caps, it seems to me he is darn cautious out there about making sure it does not happen to him again. He has his money and he wants to play a nice soft game so that he can be assured of getting the chance to enjoy that money.

OK, V, you don't have to jump in here to defend Wennie. This is just my personal opinion of him based upon what I have observed.

Reactions: CPTN71 and thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Whether his uninspired play is the result of lack of passion for the game or abject confusion at how to right his career, I don't know. But yeah I think this next stretch of games has to include some sort of specific tactical scenario aimed at getting him going and if that doesn't work, I think you've got to look to move him.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
  1. Ryan Murray : 1 goal, 23 assists, 24 points
  2. Alexander Wennberg: 1 goal, 18 assists, 19 points

Just curious what Wennberg's per/60 numbers are now and where they rank?

And what those numbers supposedly mean, currently?

PP or ES it doesn't matter.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Just popping in this thread for the first time to state that I’d like Wennberg to be shot into the sun.

In all seriousness i don’t know what, if any, trade value he possibly holds. My only guesss is we can Anchor him to another player in a trade package.

Reactions: CPTN71 and thebus88

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

So I have been away for about 3 months. I see literally nothing has changed with him...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If he (St. Louis) can't get him going over the next 20 games or so, then I would think that it's time to move on from him.

I find him to be a passionless player as well. He got his $$ and I wouldn't be surprised if that's his primary motivation. If that's true and he's bought out for a 1/3rd, then that will be richly deserved. Someone would sign him, but it would be a lower money, last chance deal for him.
Classic case of Destination Disease.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In the public interest, here is what it would take for me to join in the "we need to get rid of Wennberg" chorus:

I want a guarantee - an iron-clad, untouchable, if-you-violate-it-I-can-shadowban-you* unflinching guarantee - from each and every poster here that if we do get rid of him, and he starts doing better elsewhere, that there will not be a single g-ddamned peep or even thought of whining about the front office, development, or any of the other umpteen billion little "but this is why we suck" nonsense bull**** arguments that made the post-expansion draft period a living hell.

If I can't get that guarantee from everyone here - and I legit mean every-single-one here - you're not going to sell me on this. I will accept the "he's tainted with horrible failure" position IF AND ONLY IF it is not in conjunction with the "we're cursed and we're doomed" position. I have less-than-zero tolerance for folks trying to have it both ways.

*: Technically, this isn't something I can or should ask, so I'm only half-serious on that part. But that's the only part I'm not dead serious on.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well you have that guarantee from me. Get him out of here and I will not mention him again.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
In the public interest, here is what it would take for me to join in the "we need to get rid of Wennberg" chorus:

I want a guarantee - an iron-clad, untouchable, if-you-violate-it-I-can-shadowban-you* unflinching guarantee - from each and every poster here that if we do get rid of him, and he starts doing better elsewhere, that there will not be a single g-ddamned peep or even thought of whining about the front office, development, or any of the other umpteen billion little "but this is why we suck" nonsense bull**** arguments that made the post-expansion draft period a living hell.

If I can't get that guarantee from everyone here - and I legit mean every-single-one here - you're not going to sell me on this. I will accept the "he's tainted with horrible failure" position IF AND ONLY IF it is not in conjunction with the "we're cursed and we're doomed" position. I have less-than-zero tolerance for folks trying to have it both ways.

*: Technically, this isn't something I can or should ask, so I'm only half-serious on that part. But that's the only part I'm not dead serious on.
Wennberg could very well be the next William Karlsson, but it's not happening here (unless St. Louis can get inside his head)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad