The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No one has to "root for him to fail". He does that all on his own.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And afterwards there you are, pompoms in hand.
I don't think EDM is celebrating Wennberg failures. I think the situation is one of being just disgusted with the guy and wanting him gone - so much so that folks suggesting otherwise becomes a source of annoyance.

Still strikes me as unwarranted and extreme, but it's not an "active rooting for failure" situation. If Wennberg did bounce back, I could anticipate one of two reactions from EDM - either relief that he's no longer a problem, or a cynical proclamation that it wouldn't last (coming from sheer lack of faith).

edit: grammar fails

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wennberg possesses the skill and skills to be an NHL player, and a productive one. He hadn’t shown anything but glimpses of this for the past couple seasons. The fact that he has the skills,
combined with my making an assumption he actually wants to be successful, is the only thing that gives me any hope for him at this point.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wennberg possesses the skill and skills to be an NHL player, and a productive one. He hadn’t shown anything but glimpses of this for the past couple seasons. The fact that he has the skills,
combined with my making an assumption he actually wants to be successful, is the only thing that gives me any hope for him at this point.

Nyquist and Dano might give him some new life. We also have this bit of a dark horse in Lilja, we'll probably give him every chance to make the team.

Wennberg has all the tools, now lets see if someone can show him how to use them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There is admittedly a part of me that would love to try trading for someone like Andreas Athanasiou - y'know, a high-speed transition scoring puck hog - and seeing how he'd do with an I-only-want-to-be-in-my-own-zone player like Wennberg. It feels like the sort of thing that should be wonderfully complementary.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
There is admittedly a part of me that would love to try trading for someone like Andreas Athanasiou - y'know, a high-speed transition scoring puck hog - and seeing how he'd do with an I-only-want-to-be-in-my-own-zone player like Wennberg. It feels like the sort of thing that should be wonderfully complementary.

While I like the idea, I'm having a tough time finding a spot for him in the lineup with the different combinations we could have. He'd be displacing Texier and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that until we see more of what he can do.

1. Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
2a. Bjorkstrand-Jenner-Anderson
2b. AA-Wennberg-Nyquist
4. Texier-Nash-Dubinsky/Bemstrom

But one way it could work is if Texier slots in at C right away. Still seems like we're missing a top-line LW, though...

1. Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
2a. Nyquist-Jenner-Anderson
2b. AA-Texier-Bjorkstrand
4. Wennberg-Nash-Dubinsky/Bemstrom

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

If a GM made a trade to "get Wennberg going" he ought to become an ex GM immediately.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If the Nyquist - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand line struggles to produce, I think we could see Wennberg move up in the lineup rather than down.

My guess is Torts would swap Atkinson and Bjorkstrand as his first move.

That means a line of Nyquist - Wennberg - Atkinson which I think would be the de facto top line followed by Texier - Dubois - Bjorkstrand.

Interesting situation given his issues the past 3 seasons but I think Wennberg could fail upwards.

Reactions: OldGoaltender

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If the Nyquist - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand line struggles to produce, I think we could see Wennberg move up in the lineup rather than down.

That means a line of Nyquist - Wennberg - Atkinson which I think would be the de facto top line followed by Texier - Dubois - Bjorkstrand.

Interesting situation given his issues the past 3 seasons but I think Wennberg could fail upwards.

Well, the press box is up.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I've been saying the RW they need is actually Anderson. Someone to push the defenders back and make space.

In any case, Texier - Dubois - Bjorkstrand is a line I've been wanting to see and I wouldn't assume that Nyquist - Wennberg - Atkinson would outproduce them. In the second half last year Bjorkstrand was more productive with Dubois than Atkinson was - Atkinson was depending on Panarin more and the Dubois - Atkinson combo didn't have anything going without Panarin. Then again Bjorkstrand has been a slow starter, if he isn't ready it's not going to work.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Alison Lukan did one of her stats deep-dives on Wennberg today:
A tale of three seasons: The rise, fall and future of...

This is interesting. Wennberg seems to have shied away from his own offense, but his ability to feed his teammates has actually improved. Last season was his strongest in primary and secondary shot assists.
(emphasis added)

Overall, Wennberg has areas for improvement. First, there’s the issue of getting back to what has been his standard of play in behaviors such as shooting, creating chances and holding on to the puck. There’s also the issue of the power play, which significantly bolstered Wennberg’s overall stats in 2016-17 and where he has struggled since. Then, there’s the next step of Wennberg elevating all of his play more. As just one comparison, Pierre-Luc Dubois had just over seven shots on goal and 13 attempts per 60 minutes of play last year. That’s more than double Wennberg’s numbers. To compete in the NHL, he will need to not just regain the territory he’s given up in his individual offense, but he will also need it to grow.

There are signs that Wennberg remains astute at equally important elements of creating play. His transitional work is solid, and he continues to apply his ability to create for his teammates’ benefit. If he can bring his individual scoresheet contributions on top of that, it will bode well for the Blue Jackets — and Wennberg — this season and beyond.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I've been saying the RW they need is actually Anderson. Someone to push the defenders back and make space.

In any case, Texier - Dubois - Bjorkstrand is a line I've been wanting to see and I wouldn't assume that Nyquist - Wennberg - Atkinson would outproduce them. In the second half last year Bjorkstrand was more productive with Dubois than Atkinson was - Atkinson was depending on Panarin more and the Dubois - Atkinson combo didn't have anything going without Panarin. Then again Bjorkstrand has been a slow starter, if he isn't ready it's not going to work.
That is where I am at too.

I don't assume 14-10-13 would outproduce 42-18-28. Simply that 14-10-13 would draw the opposition's top pairing. Either them or 71-38-77.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That is where I am at too.

I don't assume 14-10-13 would outproduce 42-18-28. Simply that 14-10-13 would draw the opposition's top pairing. Either them or 71-38-77.

I don't ever see that happening except by accident or if Torts put that line out for defense against the opposing top line.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
“I even want to battle for the first position with Luc,” Wennberg said, referring to No. 1 center Pierre-Luc Dubois. “He’s a really good player, very competitive. But it’s a good battle. I’ve come in very confident.”

“Wenny came in with the right concentration about what he has to do as a player,” Tortorella said. “That’s carrying the puck, playing in traffic with the puck. And he has certainly shot the puck when he’s had the opportunity.
“He’s played well. He’s played very well in camp.”

The 11 shots on goal he generated in four preseason games (2.75 per game) are more shots on goal than he registered in the entire months of October (10 shots, 11 games), February (five shots, nine games) and March (nine shots, 15 games) last season.

His confidence restored, Blue Jackets' Alexander Wennberg...

Porty with a puff piece on the "new and confident" Al Wennberg.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
His confidence restored, Blue Jackets' Alexander Wennberg...

Porty with a puff piece on the "new and confident" Al Wennberg.

I'll believe it when I see it. And not just on an occasional instance but consistently. I know no player is always consistent in effort and output, but I need to see the "new Wenny" over an extended period of time.

I confess my expectations are low, but I'm also on board if it's real. The team would really benefit from it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
[QUOTE="Double-Shift Lasse, post: 164839195, member: 23178]"I'll believe it when I see it. And not just on an occasional instance but consistently. I know no player is always consistent in effort and output, but I need to see the "new Wenny" over an extended period of time.

I confess my expectations are low, but I'm also on board if it's real. The team would really benefit from it.

I'm in the same camp. Seeing is believing. Preseason and minor tournaments don't convince me of anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad