The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In the last 12 calendar months, Wennberg has 4 regular season goals. Jan-0/Dec-0/Nov-1/Oct-0/April-0/March-2/Feb-1.

Only 1 of these goals has been at even strength.

He has NO goals in his last 31 games. He has 1 goal in his last 55 games (2/3rds of a season).

He is officially in Scott Gomez/Ville Leino territory.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
In the last 12 calendar months, Wennberg has 4 regular season goals. Jan-0/Dec-0/Nov-1/Oct-0/April-0/March-2/Feb-1.

Only 1 of these goals has been at even strength.

He has NO goals in his last 31 games. He has 1 goal in his last 55 games (2/3rds of a season).

He is officially in Scott Gomez/Ville Leino territory.

I thinking more along the lines of Ville Siren, but yea.. he sucks (and has been sucky for a very long time now).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
One thing not mentioned with Wenny. Could his Tom Wilson hit messed him up like Filatov? You never know how those concussion hits effect a player. Thoughts?

It's possible and I've thought about this myself but when was the incident with Wennberg and Tortorella on the bench? I feel like Wennberg was already "off" before that.

Reactions: thebus88

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It's possible and I've thought about this myself but when was the incident with Wennberg and Tortorella on the bench? I feel like Wennberg was already "off" before that.

The incident you're likely thinking about was during a late season game against the Canucks. IIRC the incident stemmed from a blown assignment defensively vs lack of aggressiveness offensively. Wennberg was getting his ass chewed by Torts for the blown coverage that led to a Canucks goal and Wenny pretty much just rolled his eyes.

Also I recall him and Vanek having some good chemistry down the stretch and in the playoffs before the Wilson hit. He seemed to be a positive influence on Wenny but whatever advice Vanek tried to pass on to him re: being more aggressive offensively didn't stick unfortunately.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The incident you're likely thinking about was during a late season game against the Canucks. IIRC the incident stemmed from a blown assignment defensively vs lack of aggressiveness offensively.

Also I recall him and Vanek having some good chemistry down the stretch and in the playoffs before the Wilson hit.

Thanks. That's probably it, yeah. He wasn't playing especially well last year until matched with Vanek, that's right. And then the Wilson hit. It's just hard to say look how well he was playing consistently until that hit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The incident you're likely thinking about was during a late season game against the Canucks. IIRC the incident stemmed from a blown assignment defensively vs lack of aggressiveness offensively. Wennberg was getting his ass chewed by Torts for the blown coverage that led to a Canucks goal and Wenny pretty much just rolled his eyes.

Also I recall him and Vanek having some good chemistry down the stretch and in the playoffs before the Wilson hit. He seemed to be a positive influence on Wenny but whatever advice Vanek tried to pass on to him re: being more aggressive offensively didn't stick unfortunately.
It was a match made in heaven. Vanek was the shoot-first pass-later-if-at-all type, and Wennberg the pass-first shoot-later-if-at-all type. And then they'd mix it up on occasion just to mess with people.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
St. Louis was hired by the Blue Jackets as a special teams consultant, but it was clear in the words of coach John Tortorella on Sunday that this is bigger than the power play.
It’s about Tortorella’s ability to communicate with at least one player regarding that player’s offensive approach, including but not limited to the power play.
I won’t name the players, but I’m having a hell of a time reaching some guys,” Tortorella said. “This isn’t months, this is a couple of years now. It’s not working, and I’m very frustrated because I haven’t been able to reach certain guys in the offensive part of the game.

'Frustrated' John Tortorella wants Martin St. Louis to help...

Torts really has some incredibly great characteristics. He admits to failings-in a real way, not some lip service fake humility. That is not a common characteristic among most managers (not just sports). He's also willing to solicit outside help as the St. Louis hire attests.

Oh, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the individual who headlines this thread is the referred to "certain guys":laugh:

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
'Frustrated' John Tortorella wants Martin St. Louis to help...

Torts really has some incredibly great characteristics. He admits to failings-in a real way. That is not a common characteristic among most managers (not just sports). He's also willing to solicit outside help as the St. Louis hire attests.

Oh, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the individual who headlines this thread is the referred to "certain guys":laugh:
That particular speculation is already included in the article:
So where did St. Louis and Alexander Wennberg dine, you’re wondering?

To be clear, Tortorella never mentioned Wennberg or any other player, but it’s a near certainty that the Blue Jackets’ former first-round pick — and former first- and second-line center — is on the list.

Wennberg has scored one goal in 48 games this season. He hasn’t scored a power-play goal since March 12, 2018, a span of 59 games.

But Wennberg is not alone. Neither Seth Jones nor Nick Foligno has scored a power-play goal this season. Foligno has gone 72 games — more than a calendar year — since his last power-play goal, Jan. 7, 2018, versus Florida.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It was a match made in heaven. Vanek was the shoot-first pass-later-if-at-all type, and Wennberg the pass-first shoot-later-if-at-all type. And then they'd mix it up on occasion just to mess with people.

Yea, they looked GREAT and put up multiple points 30% of the time/games, but were TERRIBLE and a liability the other 70% of the time.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
My favorite bit of truth of that....

"— and former first- and second-line center —"

Also, "But Wennberg is not alone. Neither Seth Jones nor Nick Foligno has scored a power-play goal this season."

Unless he's tired/coming off a shift, Jones should be seeing the time with the #1 PP/Panarin whenever he can, over Werenski.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
One thing not mentioned with Wenny. Could his Tom Wilson hit messed him up like Filatov? You never know how those concussion hits effect a player. Thoughts?
I think so. He refuses to go into dangerous areas and take control of the ice like he used to. He is afraid to get lit up and he has zero confidence with the puck as a result from this mentality.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
My favorite bit of truth of that....

"— and former first- and second-line center —"

Also, "But Wennberg is not alone. Neither Seth Jones nor Nick Foligno has scored a power-play goal this season."

Unless he's tired/coming off a shift, Jones should be seeing the time with the #1 PP/Panarin whenever he can, over Werenski.
Disagree with you there, Werenski is the "leading point scorer", might as well let him show off what he can do. The main problem with the PP is the inability or desire to utilize Panarin's One Time Bomb.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Disagree with you there, Werenski is the "leading point scorer", might as well let him show off what he can do. The main problem with the PP is the inability or desire to utilize Panarin's One Time Bomb.

What do you mean, "leading point scorer" ??

The only time he's outscored Jones was his 1st year, and it was only a few points, and Jones missed a few extra games and actually scored more goals than Werenski. Also, Werenski most certainly benefits (and YES so does the team :eyeroll:) pointwise from the total amount of PP time he see's, many times on the 1st unit.

Also to your, and others opinions on the team not shooting enough one timers, Jones actually has that "bomb" back there and can AND DOES seem to work well WITH Panarin.

The only thing is, Jones has to come off the ice sometime. Having Werenski and other capable guys to throw out there for a minute or so on the PP is the perfect time. BUT, I 100% think it would be better for the PP if Jones would be put out there over Werenski, and the points scored would favor Jones even more.

ALSO, as this is the Wennberg thread, and people love points so much, shall we look at the updated scoring race....??

Ryan Murray
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Alexander Wennberg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
What do you mean, "leading point scorer" ??

The only time he's outscored Jones was his 1st year, and it was only a few points, and Jones missed a few extra games and actually scored more goals than Werenski. Also, Werenski most certainly benefits (and YES so does the team :eyeroll:) pointwise from the total amount of PP time he see's, many times on the 1st unit.

Also to your, and others opinions on the team not shooting enough one timers, Jones actually has that "bomb" back there and can AND DOES seem to work well WITH Panarin.

The only thing is, Jones has to come off the ice sometime. Having Werenski and other capable guys to throw out there for a minute or so on the PP is the perfect time. BUT, I 100% think it would be better for the PP if Jones would be put out there over Werenski, and the points scored would favor Jones even more.

ALSO, as this is the Wennberg thread, and people love points so much, shall we look at the updated scoring race....??

Ryan Murray
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Alexander Wennberg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We can continue this in a different thread but as so many like to believe, Werenski is "the most talented offensive dman" we have. Now whether that is true or not, I'm not entirely sure.

I don't really think anyone has an argument for Jones over Werenski or vice-versa as the PP has been so god damn awful. It makes sense to have a guy with a bomb from the point but quite frankly, I don't think it has been working all that well. (7 goals for Seth compared to 9 for Zach).

I would also say that Seth has been getting most of the PP time and I believe (don't quote me) Zach has scored the majority of his goals even strength.

Now that being said, the person that could actually help the PP would be Wennberg but there appears to be little hope for him at the moment. He just doesn't have any confidence to take hits and skate and hold the puck in the middle of the ice. Not saying that is what he needs to be effective on the PP.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We can continue this in a different thread but as so many like to believe, Werenski is "the most talented offensive dman" we have. Now whether that is true or not, I'm not entirely sure.

I don't really think anyone has an argument for Jones over Werenski or vice-versa as the PP has been so god damn awful. It makes sense to have a guy with a bomb from the point but quite frankly, I don't think it has been working all that well. (7 goals for Seth compared to 9 for Zach).

I would also say that Seth has been getting most of the PP time and I believe (don't quote me) Zach has scored the majority of his goals even strength.

Now that being said, the person that could actually help the PP would be Wennberg but there appears to be little hope for him at the moment. He just doesn't have any confidence to take hits and skate and hold the puck in the middle of the ice. Not saying that is what he needs to be effective on the PP.

Wont harp on it as somewhat unrelated to Wennberg, but...

NHL.com - Stats

Werenski...48 games...1 goal-8 assists-9 points....126 min

Jones.....41 games....0 goals-6 assists-6 points.....114 min

Its about even in minutes. I'd argue that the powerplay is hurting because Jones isn't counted on more.

Its NOT as if he cant produce on the powerplay. Look at just last year.

NHL.com - Stats

To make this relevant to Wennberg and this conversation, look at the PP TOI numbers from 2016/17...especially the top 5 guys.

NHL.com - Stats

Werenski: 217 min
Foligno: 212 min
Wennberg: 211 min
Atkinson: 207 min
Gagner: 196 min

What about #6? (really 7 as Saad had a few more min)

Jones: 124 min

Big jump in numbers.

Which made me interested in league leaders in PP TOI and where those guys from 16/17 ranked.

NHL.com - Stats

Werenski, Wennberg and others were just about 70th-90th overall. I found it interesting and puts into perspective how important the PP and PP TOI is, for not only team success but also personal statistical success.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yea, they looked GREAT and put up multiple points 30% of the time/games, but were TERRIBLE and a liability the other 70% of the time.

You really can't be terrible and a liability 70% of the time without it showing up in some way statistically. Vanek-Wennberg was on the ice for 17 goals for and 5 against, and none of the underlying numbers are below even.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You really can't be terrible and a liability 70% of the time without it showing up in some way statistically. Vanek-Wennberg was on the ice for 17 goals for and 5 against, and none of the underlying numbers are below even.

GREAT. Playing against who and where were the vast majority of starting faceoffs??

If there's ANY situation your line cant be put out in, your a liability.

You have your "numbers" and "statistics", I have my eyes and the truth.

M-CBJ-G-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->