The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Trade Wennberg for a pick, as part of a package (not that there's much left) to get something you really want or don't trade him, IMO.

He is a healthy scratch for you and has lost all motivation/inspiration in Columbus. Why not trade him to take a chance on someone else?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Wennberg for Scandella is a crazy idea. It looks like the Jackets will have plenty of cap space next year, and Scandella comes off the books after that. If the Jackets move a D for a forward upgrade they could use some veteran insurance. We don't know exactly how Gavrikov will fit.

Of course, the pro scouts would have to go through all the tape on Scandella's season and figure out what his problems are, to see what can be fixed. You can hear the fans complaining all the way from Buffalo.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't think Wennberg for Scandella is a crazy idea. It looks like the Jackets will have plenty of cap space next year, and Scandella comes off the books after that. If the Jackets move a D for a forward upgrade they could use some veteran insurance. We don't know exactly how Gavrikov will fit.

Of course, the pro scouts would have to go through all the tape on Scandella's season and figure out what his problems are, to see what can be fixed. You can hear the fans complaining all the way from Buffalo.

I'd rather just Jarmo get 3rd and 4th round picks and choose his own projects.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I am by no means a big Blue Jackets fan but I remember two years ago, this guy was putting up huge numbers. Two years later, he's playing fourth line mins and has 2 goals?!

What the hell happened? I had a lot of hope for this kid being the Jackets new number one guy.

Can someone fill me in?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I am by no means a big Blue Jackets fan but I remember two years ago, this guy was putting up huge numbers. Two years later, he's playing fourth line mins and has 2 goals?!

What the hell happened? I had a lot of hope for this kid being the Jackets new number one guy.

Can someone fill me in?
Lots of hits to the head over his first few seasons.

But in all seriousness, he's lost his confidence. He refuses to drive or really play aggressively in the offensive zone. Now being passed up by Dubois, Duchene and Jenner, there's no where else for him to go.

He's still solid in his own zone, plays on the PK and has gotten better on the dot. But his offensive drive has completely disappeared.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wennberg and Saad played together a lot those years in Columbus , Correct?

I would be interested in Hawks making run at Wennberg if we can move on from Anisimov's final two years as a reclamation project (A costly one given his contract)

Toews
Strome
Wennberg

Down middle could give Hawks C depth not seen in Chicago since 2010 cup team (Toews , Sharp and Bolland were our top 9 C's)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I would be interested in Hawks making run at Wennberg if we can move on from Anisimov's final two years as a reclamation project (A costly one given his contract)

Toews
Strome
Wennberg

Down middle could give Hawks C depth not seen in Chicago since 2010 cup team (Toews , Sharp and Bolland were our top 9 C's)

Yes, Wennberg and Saad were the Jackets top line for a stretch. :laugh:

They were better players back then, and they had some good chemistry.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Toews
Strome
Wennberg

"Come on down. We're dealin'!"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As has been said many times, moving Wennberg this offseason seems like a way to at least get a pick back in this draft. Question is, is it dependent on re-signing Duchene or is he moveable anyway?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As has been said many times, moving Wennberg this offseason seems like a way to at least get a pick back in this draft. Question is, is it dependent on re-signing Duchene or is he moveable anyway?

I think its the former. If/when Duchene walks, the center depth is back to being a mess (even if they keep Dzingel who IIRC can play center). They would need to sign/find another center before dealing Wennberg, which I think happens. I have no doubt a team would take a chance on Wennberg for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, we just might have to retain salary.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

We'll need another center if we don't retain Duchene, but I think it's time for both Wennberg and the CBJ to part ways. He'll have a better shot of turning it around in a new environment.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I understand the point but I'd prefer no interdependency. If Duchene is not signed, having Wennberg as the fallback isn't a viable solution. That would put us back to being too weak at center verses top level teams, and with some of the firepower gone it's a step backwards.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understand the point but I'd prefer no interdependency. If Duchene is not signed, having Wennberg as the fallback isn't a viable solution. That would put us back to being too weak at center verses top level teams, and with some of the firepower gone it's a step backwards.

Having firepower at center without Duchene might not be possible. Maybe we can persuade Kevin Hayes to sign, but there's a long list of teams willing to pay him. Any other options?

I'd be saying goodbye to Wennberg either way, not because he won't be a little better than our alternative (more minutes for Riley Nash?) but because he needs a fresh start elsewhere. Maybe if Torts is canned, then maybe Wennberg can get his fresh start here.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Having firepower at center without Duchene might not be possible. Maybe we can persuade Kevin Hayes to sign, but there's a long list of teams willing to pay him. Any other options?

I'd be saying goodbye to Wennberg either way, not because he won't be a little better than our alternative (more minutes for Riley Nash?) but because he needs a fresh start elsewhere. Maybe if Torts is canned, then maybe Wennberg can get his fresh start here.
I agree that Torts leaving might give Wennberg a second chance without that chance coming via trade. That holds true for several others IMO. Bjorkstrand is one who comes to mind.

My reference to firepower wasn't so much just Center. It's the overall loss of goal scoring, including that from the wingers.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We'll need another center if we don't retain Duchene, but I think it's time for both Wennberg and the CBJ to part ways. He'll have a better shot of turning it around in a new environment.

If Torts is back I agree. If he is gone for some reason I think it becomes debatable of he should be traded. A fairly decent 2nd might be enough regardless. Guess it depend on what Jarmo sees available in the draft at whatever spot acquired.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I feel pretty confident Duchene , and Dzingel resign here . As for a Wennberg , he’s going nowhere unless the return is atleast pretty decent . Jarmo was talking him up as a #1 center coming into this season , so either his talent evaluation is way off , or it’s another situation of Tortasaurus squandering another player

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel pretty confident Duchene , and Dzingel resign here . \

They'll both have their share of suitors. I'm not persuaded yet that Dzingel should get a big money long term deal. Not that he wouldn't help next year. But long run I'm thinking it would seem more prudent to get a stopgap at LW and look for one of Bemstrom and his ilk to step up.

As for a Wennberg , he’s going nowhere unless the return is atleast pretty decent .

So now you want to keep him? I think at that cap hit, there's other considerations beyond the trade return. Wennberg needs to be in a situation to succeed, or it's a huge waste of money. The contract is movable now but might not be a year from now.

Jarmo was talking him up as a #1 center coming into this season , so either his talent evaluation is way off , or it’s another situation of Tortasaurus squandering another player

Or a player taking too many bumps on the head? This sort of decline at that age is unusual, I'm not blaming either Jarmo or Torts for it.

Also I don't recall Jarmo saying anything like "Wennberg will be a #1C" - I recall him saying there's ice time to be competed over, and Wennberg, Nash, and Dubois all could contribute. Pretty boring stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad