Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Let's clarify for the sake of everyone's sanity. I thought you were trying to prove some sort of broad consensus that Wennberg was a future #1C. You have proven that there are many who thought he could become one and a handful who thought, at a time he was playing his best, that he was one already. If that was your goal, to show that there were any posters at all who made the contention, then I'll allow that you've proven your point.

Using this as a jumping off point, I will ask where the voices were at the time of these posts you're copying here, telling everyone that, in fact, Wennberg is very bad and is lucky to be a #3C at best.

I will point out again, as it went unaddressed, that there was a poster in one of the threads you linked claiming victory, that people hassled him for believing Wennberg was going to be very good and now here he is, playing very well and that made this individual poster right and all the naysayers wrong. Seems like it's possible that the ability to claim to be right is fungible.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
PanarinDangles9
IMO, anything lower than 5.75M AAV for a long term deal is a win for the club

CBJWennberg10
2 years 3.5 per is my guess.​
major major
We were thinking like the Rask deal (closer to $5m per), but the longer the wait the higher it gets. I don't see any appeal to paying him $6m per, unless you really want the 8 year term. The Jets did it with Sheif and it made sense because he's an insanely dedicated hockey nut. That deal will save them millions on the back half of the deal. I don't think Wennberg is quite that good, though $5.5m x 8 sounds good to me.

PanarinDangles9
Yeah, I see no reason to give Wenny a bridge deal. I think he's shown great progression over his ELC to warrant locking him up long-term. Plus if he continues to skyrocket in production, we could pay for it big time in the long run. That's why I think it'll end up being a 6 year contract worth 34MM (5.67MM AAV). It'll be a bit below Barkov because he hasn't scored goals like Sasha (except for this season of course), and a bit above Victor Rask.

EspenK
If he continues to progress I'd lock him up for as long as possible at as low as possible. 8*6 works for me if he puts up 70 points this year.

EDM
How about if we wait for a season in which he scores 15 goals before opening the back vault? To me his production is modest but satisfactory. The big money contract should be going to our All Star, Cam Atkinson.

Cyclones Rock
Perfect offer.

Wennberg's last 14 games should give pause to a long term deal at big money. No goals, 8 assists, -5.

Half of his 40 points are on the PP as well. The Jackets overall performance for most of the first half of the season was unsustainable.

WannabeFinn
7 years, 5.5 per. That's my guess.

Gagnefan924
Im not saying bridge deals are bad ideas, despite what you childlishly hinted at. The only player on that list that has even remote comparison to Wennberg is Johansen considering Wennberg and Johan will have similar point totals and both are potential franchise centers. It doesnt make much sense to compare Wennbergs next contract to a goalie, defenseman, or a third line center. That being said, if Jarmo and Davidson have learned anything when it comes to top centers they will chill with all the haggling and pay the guy his money. i wouldnt be surprised to see them try that BS again though

WubbaLubbaDubDub
Kid is a straight stud. 3 ES points tonight. Like someone else said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 20 goals. Maybe hit 25-30 once or twice.

EDM
Of course he has set career high's this year. His career accomplishments were pretty low before this year. Bridge deal of $3.5 a year for two years. Let him prove that he is capable of scoring 20 goals before he is paid like a star.

squarelaces
OK, I'm not going to go nuclear. There are stats, see above both great and comparatively so-so. However, Alex is, and I'm going to coin this, a non-stat-sheet-stuffer. The things he does to help the team that doesn't get ink is what set sets him apart, even from common comparisons like Backstrom. He is way ahead of the next play. He goes where the puck will be after the next play. Ever notice that it is not uncommon for linemates to not join him in a board battle? They're looking for clear passing lanes because they know he's going to get possession, even 1 on 3. Sometimes it looks like he's dogging on the back check only to wait for the perfect moment to lift the stick and displace the puck. If they kept stats on 3rd assists he'd lead the league.
On the powerplay ever seen the opposing team try to pressure him on the half board? They know they're dead if they try.

These are the things make good players great. He's got it. Pay him for as long as you can tie him up.​

THREAD GOES DOWNHILL FOR WENNY FROM THERE HAHA, feb-mar 2017

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Page 21 of this thread 3rd post from the top. In my post I have quoted people saying he WAS a 1C.

Multiple threads say this. How many until you admit people were saying it?

First it was “nobody said that” then it went to “a few people said that and some people said maybe”

Come on man

It depends on the meaning of "for" is

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sometimes people say the darndest things.

September of 2017.

Before Panarin, I'd say Duchene should've been a target. With Panarin in Columbus I think there's very little need for Duchene. They are very different players and play very different games, but having Dubi and Wennberg as our top 2 centers is not an issue with the quality and depth that's on the wings and on D. 1 is very good (1st line?) defensively and adequate (2nd line?) offensively, while the other is very good (1st line?) offensively and adequate (2nd line?) defensively.

November 2017

Wennberg has good skating, so that definitely helps him in open ice and is a good asset for a center to have. And yes, his playmaking/passing ability is well above average. Probably top 30 pure passer in the league.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So did you say it or not? Mean it or not? Or since the words "for sure" weren't uttered, you get a "pass".
I said it, I meant it at the time, and it was justified at the time because he was playing at a level to justify it. I have also made no secret of the fact that I think he has regressed badly and that he has disappointed me greatly as a result. That said, I don't get angry at players and try to punish them (or advocate for their punishment) for abruptly becoming less than what I thought they were.

I don't know what you think you're trying to prove here.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One comment. Yippee. Before he even played in the NHL:rolleyes: Pat yourself on the back a little more.

EDM and others have been a little more vocal and consistent:laugh:
And? Who gives a damn? What's the point?

Everybody makes incorrect evaluations. Everybody. I could come up with a long list for each and every poster in this thread - myself very definitely included. Making valuable contributions isn't about whether or not you "called it" that one time or whatever; it's about how one adapts to the situation and how one reacts and carries oneself when one is correct or incorrect.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sometimes people say the darndest things.

September of 2017.

November 2017

That 1st comment was made days after my account was (re) activated. The case could be made that I made that comment to make certain people happy and to not be accused of "trolling".

I have always had good things to say about his skating and passing. But, as nearly everybody else did, I also overrated a certain aspect of his game. Surely doesn't help Wennberg's case.

Here ya go.

Dubinsky :2C
Wennberg: 3C​
thebus88, Oct 25, 2017

I wish we could go back before the website change and see what thebus2288 had to say about things before his "existence" was erased.

Trolling With REALITY

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That 1st comment was made days after my account was (re) activated. The case could be made that I made that comment to make certain people happy and to not be accused of "trolling".

I have always had good things to say about his skating and passing. But, as nearly everybody else did, I also overrated a certain aspect of his game. Surely doesn't help Wennberg's case.

Here ya go.

Dubinsky :2C
Wennberg: 3C​
thebus88, Oct 25, 2017

I wish we could go back before the website change and see what thebus2288 had to say about things before his "existence" was erased.

Trolling With REALITY
Don't worry, it's doable. You used to have both Dano and Rychel above Wennberg in your estimation. And doubled down on it later.

Not that this is unusual. Again, everybody makes incorrect evaluations. Hell, you and I have been wrong together - Exhibit A in support of same would be both of us really liking TJ Tynan.

We all have guys we have little faith in - or lots of faith in - to start their careers. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong. Like you, I had a ton of faith in Ryan Murray, and this year that's been justified to the point that pretty much everybody can see it. From that same draft, tho, I also had a ton of faith in Daniel Zaar. Oops. I also didn't think some other kid in that same draft would amount to much - a seeming nobody fourth-round pick by the name of Josh Anderson. Oops again.

There's tons of examples like this either way, for everyone here. It's not about whether or not you made the call. It's how you respond to it later and how you carry yourself.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that you're digging your hole a bit deeper. Dubinsky as a #2C? With the Monsters or the Kalamazoo Wings maybe.
He's always had a high opinion of Dubi. We know that already. That's not the point. This isn't (or shouldn't) be about "keeping score" w/r/t who predicts what. The only scorekeeping I care about here is in an arena.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He's always had a high opinion of Dubi. We know that already. That's not the point. This isn't (or shouldn't) be about "keeping score" w/r/t who predicts what. The only scorekeeping I care about here is in an arena.
Only because you got dusted so badly about Wennberg:DD

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Only because you got dusted so badly about Wennberg:DD
Almost as badly as when you repeatedly insisted that Steve Mason wouldn't have a worthwhile ECHL career, let alone an NHL one.

Shall I go into your post history and find more? I'm sure they're there.

Everybody has done it. **** that rat race.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Thanks Viqsi, I stand by a lot of what I said

Dano has an impact on the team winning games. And you can actually see him getting better from earlier on in the year. While Wennberg does look "better" than what he did in November he still has essentially no impact on us winning games. We're not losing games because of him anymore but that should not be looked at as a "plus". Just imagine what Dano would look like now or the amount of extra points the team might have if he had an extra 30 NHL games under his belt right now.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think "things" could've been ANY worse without Wennberg. Say what you want about what you "see" but he's been about as bad as any of us could have imagined, no matter if you bought his hype in October or not. The other point I want to add is that you can pretty much look at Dano, and Rychel especially, as never even being here. They were never given a chance to make a true impact or fail the way Wennberg was and did. Rychel just wasn't given enough games and Dano was sent down during a important stretch in the year and not called back up until the season was very close to being "over".

Draft position is nothing but a number.​
thebus2288*, Mar 4, 2015

RDriesenUD said:
Wennberg+ for Buff? That is HORRIBLE.​

Double-Shift Lassé said:
Also wants to do Wennberg ++++ for Greene.​

Mayor Bee said:
And here I thought it was too early in the morning to be drinking that heavily.​

Ok knights of the round table... a few questions...

Do you believe we need an upgrade on our blueline? If so, do you believe that upgrade must be a "legit top pair guy"?--AND/OR-- What type of package do you think would be needed to return Buff or any other "top pairing" guy like Greene?

Then explain to me how Wennberg is worth more than that package....

And the "++++" for Greene is a 5-6 defenseman, a 3rd-4th line cap dump, and a late 2nd or mid 3rd which is basically redundant with all our quality prospects.

Its perfectly fine if you wanna gang up on somebody you don't agree with, it still doesn't make you right. You guys wanna believe that Wennberg is valued around the league like a recent top 10 pick, but he's not. You guys wanna believe that he's a better player or has a more promising future than Rychel but he doesn't....​
thebus2288*, Aug 28, 2015

I mean are you really reading what your attempting to call me out on? More proof of the ridiculous opinions if you ask me. But, just because I made a comment or comparison to Rychel or Dano. You should also follow your own rules, and come to terms with the fact that those guys COULD STILL have a better future. Not to mention, most of what i was saying was based on current times, and Dano especially was making things happen.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Almost as badly as when you repeatedly insisted that Steve Mason wouldn't have a worthwhile ECHL career, let alone an NHL one.

Shall I go into your post history and find more? I'm sure they're there.

Everybody has done it. **** that rat race.
Mason was the worst goalie in hockey his last 3 years here. It was time for him to go. You couldn't even admit to that:laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thanks Viqsi, I stand by a lot of what I said

[quoted posts removed]

I mean are you really reading what your attempting to call me out on? More proof of the ridiculous opinions if you ask me. But, just because I made a comment or comparison to Rychel or Dano. You should also follow your own rules, and come to terms with the fact that those guys COULD STILL have a better future. Not to mention, most of what i was saying was based on current times, and Dano especially was making things happen.
I'm not attempting to call you out at all, actually, altho I can see how it'd look that way. My point was that we've all had those moments where we make silly assertions. (And claiming Rychel could still have a better future at this point is like claiming Wennberg is still a #1C, but that's getting past the point.)

There's a lot in there that is worthy, and it is entirely your prerogative to stand by what you've said. And yes, under those circumstances at the time, it was a justifiable thing to say. (I didn't agree with it, but it was justifiable - Rychel still looked like he had high-quality upside.) That's entirely my point - we make decisions as best we can with the info we have available to us, and sometimes we get it wrong. This is why my position on this stuff is basically one of "**** this rat race". None of us have all the information, none of us will, and so attempting to claim absolutism on these guesses and estimations is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese