The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Whatever fits your narrative. The fact of the matter is that Wennberg is barely a 3C right now..

I'm bewildered that you think those quotes, save the first one, indicate people believed he would turn into a #1 center. They all basically say "maybe." For heaven's sake, "maybe" is STILL accurate. It's just more like a .01% chance now, and all but certain it won't be for CBJ.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm bewildered that you think those quotes, save the first one, indicate people believed he would turn into a #1 center. They all basically say "maybe." For heaven's sake, "maybe" is STILL accurate. It's just more like a .01% chance now, and all but certain it won't be for CBJ.
Maybe re-read them?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Top 20-25 playmaking center at this point, probably.

Gained a lot of respect for him when he dropped the mits and fought Tkachuk after he crushed Saad.
Poor man's Backstrom.
He is really good defensively and as a playmaker. He still isn't an elite 1C, because he can't take games over offensively, but he is a 1C. Defensively, he is one of the best, IMO.
His best attributes are his vision, passing, and skating the puck. He is very good at taking a bad pass in his skates and seamlessly kicking it to his stick at full speed. Also good at controlling and protecting the puck.

His worst attributes are his faceoff abilite and shot. He can score, but his shot is relatively weak and he really avoids using it.

If he gets better at faceoffs, uses his shot more, and adds some more muscle then he would be an elite playmaking center. As is, he is a decent 1C.
If he's somewhat outperforming right now, he also has room to grow still, having just turned 22. I've been saying for a while that he is on a trajectory for a Krejci like role, and if anything he's ahead of that trajectory. If the Jackets can just get a Bergeron (a bit much to ask?) then they've got the centers they need.

How good is Alexander Wennberg?

@Double-Shift Lasse
What about these above? And the thread I linked..

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This whole conversation was based on the premise that folks here believed he was a "FOR SURE" #1 center. I see one post there that says something along those lines.

Really reaching. Many, many references to first line center in those quotes.

It's hard to project what will happen with most players. McDavids are no brainers, Wennbergs-as we have seen-are not. That being said, he was vastly overrated AND projected to be a #1C by the majority of those who posted.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Really reaching. Many, many references to first line center in those quotes.

It's hard to project what will happen with most players. McDavids are no brainers, Wennbergs-as we have seen-are not. That being said, he was vastly overrated AND projected to be a #1C by the majority of those who posted.

Yes, references to the fact that he could become a #1 center, not that he definitely would - not a crazy notion at the time. Let's talk about the new round of quotes, since those actually support the original FOR SURE notion far better.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Yes, references to the fact that he could become a #1 center, not that he definitely would - not a crazy notion at the time. Let's talk about the new round of quotes, since those actually support the original FOR SURE notion far better.
The notion that people thought he would be AND many claiming he was a 1C were just proven true.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
We should probably also interview these posters to determine if they meant a "#1 C quality player" or if they just meant he'd be fulfilling that role for the CBJ due to lack of other options. Sort of like why he's been the 2C for a bit now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Focusing on "for sure" is nothing but a poor attempted subversion of the fact that Wennberg was viewed by many here as a future #1C for the CBJ.

That type of parsing is legalesque BS.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Focusing on "for sure" is nothing but a poor attempted subversion of the fact that Wennberg was viewed as a future #1C for the CBJ.

No it's not, it's literally what started this conversation. Lots of people would have admitted they believed he COULD BECOME a #1 center. That isn't what was said.

Words, they mean stuff.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Focusing on "for sure" is nothing but a poor attempted subversion of the fact that Wennberg was viewed as a future #1C for the CBJ.

Potential future #1C, I'll give you. But "for sure" is literally what's at question.

In these threads that purportedly predict greatness, where are the voices we're now hearing that predicted his future suckage?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No it's not, it's literally what started this conversation. Lots of people would have admitted they believed he COULD BECOME a #1 center. That isn't what was said.

Words, they mean stuff.

LOL. You're funny.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Alexander Wennberg

I've looked so I know they are in there. I wanted to leave it alone but....

Some people start with reasonable ideas.

In that thread, there is a poster claiming victory in the Wennberg "I told you so" sweepstakes. Of course, Alex was playing well at the time, so it appears said poster was pointing out how he was right all along that the player is good in the face of folks who wouldn't give Wennberg his due.

It's funny how who's right - or at least the opportunity to claim to be - isn't a fixed proposition - .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad