GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Nashville, TN - 4:00pm (AZ) - ESPN, ESPN+

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So when we lied and unjustly went into Iraq and destroyed their entire infrastructure and killed civilians, should we have not been allowed to bank or watch our sports teams? No, because we all listened to what the tv said and didn’t ask questions and cheered it on. Don’t be a fool. Citizens are not responsible for what their corrupt self serving governments want to foist on them. Start thinking and stop consuming propaganda.
I come here for hockey talk but if you guys want to talk about a bunch of stuff you clearly don’t understand I’ll be happy to set you straight. Probably time to move on….
I was gonna say this. Thank you!

Anyway….I really liked our first round picks.
I’d like to see them play best on best among their peers. They seem like sweet kids who deserve a shot. Not like war criminals.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So when we lied and unjustly went into Iraq and destroyed their entire infrastructure and killed civilians, should we have not been allowed to bank or watch our sports teams?

Ideally yes, had anyone been able or willing to enforce that on us. Terrible things can be done when people are completely isolated from any sort of consequence.

The suggestion that you can engage in naked imperialism as Russia has done and not suffer any repercussions is the only thing "stupid" about the situation. Being annoyed you can't watch your favorite hockey teenagers in some U20 tournament because civilians are under drone and missile attack every night in another country is probably the most HF thing ever.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ll drop it for now. But it’s going to keep coming up even if I stay out of it.

Ideally yes, had anyone been able or willing to enforce that on us. Terrible things can be done when people are completely isolated from any sort of consequence.

The suggestion that you can engage in naked imperialism as Russia has done and not suffer any repercussions is the only thing "stupid" about the situation. Being annoyed you can't watch your favorite hockey teenagers in some U20 tournament because civilians are under drone and missile attack every night in another country is probably the most HF thing ever.
The two things have nothing to do with one another. You’d have made a great 12 year old girl in Salem.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

I agree. Accountability would be great…the problem is that the same people that were not held accountable for Iraq, are now also not being held accountable for what they have provoked by repeatedly poking the Russian bear via proxy, after repeated warnings not to do it. Do you think Russia wanted this…like they’ve just been sitting around itching for a good war? I don’t. Doesn’t me I condone it either. Last I’ll say is that all is never as it seems. Historically, whoever the tv is telling you to hate and demonize isn’t usually the one at fault or to blame…at least not entirely.

All love on my end to everyone…it’s a shitty situation for everyone to have to deal with and process.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Do you think Russia wanted this…like they’ve just been sitting around itching for a good war?

The Russian people? No, not at all. Putin? You bet your sweet bippy. It's what happens when hardline hawks get the reins of government. It's not just a Russian thing, either.

I went to Moscow back in 1987 as a high schooler who bought the whole Reagan "Evil Empire" thing hook, line, and sinker. It was a real awakening. I found the Russian people I met to be friendly, and hospitable, and none of them searched my head for horns. At the same time, though, our group was tailed by the KGB the whole time we were there, so I understood that there was a divide between what regular people thought and felt and how their government acted.

With regards to our Russian prospects, hopefully they'll be able to come over sooner rather than later. There is a whole lot up in the air right now about the near future of everyone in Russia, but specifically athletes in general. It didn't help the world perspective at all on Russia when their state-sponsored programs got busted for doping, and the war isn't helping to improve it one bit.

I'd feel much better about Simashev and But over here than over there. At the same time, though, that's their home, and geopolitical shitstorms aside, it's going to be a big and somewhat intimidating change to leave it and come to the States. Which is why it was a very good thing that we drafted them together, because they'll hopefully be able to rely on each other and provide mental and emotional support when it comes time to acclimate to North America.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
So when we lied and unjustly went into Iraq and destroyed their entire infrastructure and killed civilians, should we have not been allowed to bank or watch our sports teams? No, because we all listened to what the tv said and didn’t ask questions and cheered it on. Don’t be a fool. Citizens are not responsible for what their corrupt self serving governments want to foist on them. Start thinking and stop consuming propaganda.
I come here for hockey talk but if you guys want to talk about a bunch of stuff you clearly don’t understand I’ll be happy to set you straight. Probably time to move on….
What was Russia's version of Sept. 11 before they invaded Ukraine?

Not justifying it, but at that time the world saw our invasion of Iraq as provoked by a terrorist attack on our own soil (right or wrong.) Russia's war against Ukraine is seen as purely a political power move to take over territory. Not one bomb went off, not one missile struck Russia. There's a huge difference in the two scenarios there. At least we were attacked and had good reason to go to war, even if it did end up misplaced.

And every citizen of every country does thrive, survive, or suffer based on the decisions, actions, and inactions of their leadership. This is no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Probably the CIA/Western backed coup in Ukraine in 2014 to overthrow their government and install a puppet that the West could have more control and influence over. The writing was pretty much on the wall at that point. But you’d have to research and come to your own conclusion on that. All love brother!

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

Not justifying it, but at that time the world saw our invasion of Iraq as provoked by a terrorist attack on our own soil (right or wrong.) Russia's war against Ukraine is seen as purely a political power move to take over territory. There's a huge difference in the two scenarios there. At least we were attacked and had good reason to go to war, even if it did end up misplaced.

And every citizen of every country does thrive, survive, or suffer based on the decisions and actions of their leadership. This is no different.
Misplaced? No, misguided. The killing of ethnic-Russians, hearing about biolabs in Ukraine, election interference from the CIA, mercenaries turning their weapons on Ukrainians and blaming Russia. These are some of the actions that provoked Russia.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Still waiting for the part about bombs and missiles hitting Russia. Citizens dying on Russian soil.

All I'm getting is people saying don't believe the propaganda, then spewing tons of it.

Anyways, respect to each opinion. I'll move it along. I've said my opinion lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Doaner

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
BA was lying through his teeth about this draft the whole time and I love it. I learned a lesson about this group. They control the information that gets out and they establish the narratives they want.

Their public statements screamed Leonard, and behind the scenes they had everyone convinced it was Dvorsky or Reinbacher. Meanwhile we had Plandowski telling us that size doesn’t matter and they only cared about skill. And that this wasn’t a good draft for blueliners and next year was much stronger for that.

And yet they slyly told us all the whole time with a wink and a smirk to “expect the unexpected”.
I have always said that you can't believe a word that comes out of a GM's mouth this time of year.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Still waiting for the part about bombs and missiles hitting Russia. Citizens dying on Russian soil.

All I'm getting is people saying don't believe the propaganda, then spewing tons of it.

Anyways, respect to each opinion. I'll move it along. I've said my opinion lol.
If you haven't noticed, the "war" is concentrated in ethnic-Russian dominated Ukraine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yup, start thinking. We have a brain, but too many don't use it.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Well yeah! Thats specifically the area that Putin said he wants to annex like he did Crimea lol! He picked it!
I think you mean Crimea. The part of Ukraine that was a self-autonomy region and was over 90% ethnic-Russian before independence from the USSR.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Kinda wild to me how thoroughly disinfo has captured some people but that's life in the digital age I guess.
I guess people forget that Putin tried to take the whole country at first? That they were pushed back to where they are now and everything else is just a coincidence?

Reactions: wbwing and XX

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think you mean Crimea. The part of Ukraine that was a self-autonomy region and was over 90% ethnic-Russian before independence from the USSR.
No. There's 4 other regions inside of Ukraine's borders, on the east side of the country (Donbas. Luhansk, etc.) that are heavily occupied by ethnic Russians. Putin claims he illegally annexed them too since invading Ukraine. It's just that the act is not recognized by the international community as valid. It's not Russia's to take.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I have to say that I am impressed with everyone’s ability to remain civil while sharing their opinions. This is how we learn. I like you guys. One thing we can all agree on I hope, is that government and politics suck ass, and we the regular people of the world have to take as much responsibility as we can to make them do better.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
No. There's 4 other regions inside of Ukraine's borders, on the east side of the country (Donbas. Luhansk, etc.) that are heavily occupied by ethnic Russians. Putin claims he illegally annexed them too since invading Ukraine. It's just that the act is not recognized by the international community as valid. It's not Russia's to take.
So, who was to stand up for the ethnic cleansing of ethnic Russians or the massive corruption in Ukraine to perpetuate these horrendous events?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00