GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Nashville, TN - 4:00pm (AZ) - ESPN, ESPN+

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah I saw the article but was hoping for more in depth. If it's not there no worries but if there's like a podcast / audio of Morgan (or someone else) rambling for 30 seconds to a minute about Michkov explicitly stating something like, "yeah I'd rather stay in Russia than play in AZ" that's what I'd love to hear about. If it's not there no worries, but if it is then would love to see that.

Put another way, I believe all of you and Craig's reporting just want the full context behind it if possible. Craig if you're reading this I'm sure I'm not the only one a bit stunned as to the Yotes passing on Michkov even though Simashev seems to have extremely high upside and according to Bill is a unicorn D-man... however last year Michkov outplayed Bedard at the worlds so he is clearly a unicorn as well.

Thanks @Jormungandr (and everyone else) but looking for an in-depth audio reason if it's there (I couldn't find it after looking for a bit). Thanks!
Listen to todays 32T with Friedman and Bukala. Friedman mentions it several times and talks in detail about how Michkov and Philly conspired together to force this to happen.

Reactions: PainForShane

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
What more do you need? He doesn’t want to play for Arizona. The meeting didn’t go well. By the end of the meeting the Coyotes had soured on Michkov the person.

I don't need anything I was looking for detail. A couple lines in an article is very different than having full context.

For instance, from what I can tell no one has said the Coyotes had soured on Michkov the person (which implies a character issue), all we know is that Craig said Yotes "came away with the distinct impression that he wanted no part of the franchise.” Two different things.

Anyway just listened to Friedman, on 32T pod he mentioned Michkov had "preferred teams in mind... he wanted to go to market where the team mattered... where the team was popular and he felt there was a chance to win." And apparently PHI met that bar, Michkov met them twice.

That's the level of detail I was looking for. If anyone else is interested, starts around 16 mins in the 32T pod titled "Goodbye Draft, Hello Free Agency."

@rt many thanks for the assist

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't need anything I was looking for detail. A couple lines in an article is very different than having full context.

For instance, from what I can tell no one has said the Coyotes had soured on Michkov the person (which implies a character issue), all we know is that Craig said Yotes "came away with the distinct impression that he wanted no part of the franchise.” Two different things.

Anyway just listened to Friedman, on 32T pod he mentioned Michkov had "preferred teams in mind... he wanted to go to market where the team mattered... where the team was popular and he felt there was a chance to win." And apparently PHI met that bar, Michkov met them twice.

That's the level of detail I was looking for. If anyone else is interested, starts around 16 mins in the 32T pod titled "Goodbye Draft, Hello Free Agency."

He goes into more detail later during the Bukala segment too. Specifically about how him and Philly were in cahoots.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Phnx post draft coverage. Morgan does give some insight on this.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t see how there’s more detail you can have than Michkov wanted to go to a specific market and Arizona wasn’t it.

If you want to know any greasier details than that you have to ask Michkov himself and from the sound of it you’d never get a straight answer.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I don’t see how there’s more detail you can have than Michkov wanted to go to a specific market and Arizona wasn’t it.

If you want to know any greasier details than that you have to ask Michkov himself and from the sound of it you’d never get a straight answer.

Well, he didn't want to go to a specific market, in other words he wasn't like "Philadelphia or bust" (ie Adam Fox with NYR etc).

That's why you need full context and not a couple lines in a random article, they're journalists and between everything you can usually get full context eventually if you know where to look (ie Chychrun being approached for trade / agreeing rather than being the one to approach Bill Armstrong first which many ppl are still confused about even in F40). Honestly not sure what your point is rn

Reactions: Matias Maccete

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well, he didn't want to go to a specific market, in other words he wasn't like "Philadelphia or bust" (ie Adam Fox with NYR etc).

That's why you need full context and not a couple lines in a random article, they're journalists and between everything you can usually get full context eventually if you know where to look (ie Chychrun being approached for trade / agreeing rather than being the one to approach Bill Armstrong first which many ppl are still confused about even in F40). Honestly not sure what your point is rn
What more context do you need than he simply didn’t want to come here??

He hates warm weather?
He can’t stand Mexican food?
ASU chicks aren’t hot enough?

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
What more context do you need than he simply didn’t want to come here??

He hates warm weather?
He can’t stand Mexican food?
ASU chicks aren’t hot enough?

Yes, I am looking for an interview where Craig Morgan is interviewing Michkov (and Simashev, But etc) about what they think of ASU girls and whether they prefer blondes or brunettes.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. If you can find that, please lmk. Thanks so much for your help

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes, I am looking for an interview where Craig Morgan is interviewing Michkov (and Simashev, But etc) about what they think of ASU girls and whether they prefer blondes or brunettes.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. If you can find that, please lmk. Thanks so much for your help

Sigh…. If there was ever a candidate for a rickroll reply this was it. :naughty:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kind of hard to convince another team to trade up for a guy they know you're not picking anyways. PHI just had to wait and they knew it.
To me the stunner was WSH. I hope BA wasn't stubborn enough not to accept a 2nd + 8 for 6. Or Chesley. Hell, a two 3rds, it's only two spots.

Or could Philly have want Simashev if Michkov was gone?

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
So WSH wanted to trade up to 6 and take Michkov, but BA & Co were concerned PHI would take Sim and decided they wanted him more than another asset.
Exactly...bad asset management right there. Philly wasn't going to take Simashev, and that is all that mattered...have to read the room and Philly was going to take Leonard

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I have no issue with the coyotes taking their guy and not risking it. Who knows what was offered. You think BA wanted an extra #2 or #3. Nope we have enough picks. Thinking bad asset management is just wrong. They wanted the guy who was likely #4 on their board. Also 5 other teams passed on Michkov. Not just us. MTL was the one team that should have moved back and traded with Philly or WAS. It easy to say oh they should have but whi knows what was offered. And MTL took their player also. After the top 4, it likely was a toss up. Each team may have liked someone different.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I think Philly knew if MM was there at 6. He wasnt being picked. I dont think WAS had enough to give to move up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly...bad asset management right there. Philly wasn't going to take Simashev, and that is all that mattered...have to read the room and Philly was going to take Leonard
Why do you even say this. You have no idea who Philly would have taken if Michkov was gone.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why do you even say this. You have no idea who Philly would have taken if Michkov was gone.
Rumors ahead of the draft is they wanted Reinbacher. If he and Michkov were gone they may have pivoted to Simashev. Michkov may not be the only Russian they were having secret meetings with. That’s the thing about secret meetings. They’re secret.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad