Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My poor Owls got crushed by SMU:
20201107_120434.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
VT winning but not winning then losing was pretty funny yesterday.

hopefully Fuentes sticks around

Clemson wins by 20 in the ACC championship? Any guesses?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
WVU utterly controlling the game against a pretty decent TCU team yesterday was good to see. Now if only we could transfer our offenses form to the road.

On another note, was not expecting Muschump to be the first P5 program coach to get shitcanned this year. I wasn't NOT expecting it to happen because, well, Muschump, but I figured that someone else would get the ax first.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Muschamp still gets set for life (again) with another huge buyout from a SEC school. Deserved to be fired a year ago but the buyout was even more asinine than it is now. How the AD is keeping his job is beyond me. Given the dismal state of South Carolina's program expect another terrible hire or for them just to promote Mike Bobo.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm not sure why exactly Muschamp got the SC job to begin with. They saw his Florida teams every year he was there, and they usually beat them too which was something that never happened until Spurrier got there, I guess that one year when the Gators went to the Sugar Bowl (and IIRC got destroyed by Louisville w/ Bridgewater) was enough to say "Yeah, this is our guy!"?.

Another SEC school will pick him up as their DC.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm not sure why exactly Muschamp got the SC job to begin with. They saw his Florida teams every year he was there, and they usually beat them too which was something that never happened until Spurrier got there, I guess that one year when the Gators went to the Sugar Bowl (and IIRC got destroyed by Louisville w/ Bridgewater) was enough to say "Yeah, this is our guy!"?.

He was their 3rd or 4th choice. Tom Herman was interested until they lost to the Citadel, and apparently they were close to getting Kirby Smart until UGA abruptly fired Richt to steal him away. Apparently it came down to Muschamp and Rich Rod lmao. I'm sure the AD will botch the search again this time too.

Reactions: HisIceness

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

I'd be shocked if Muschamp isn't at either Bama or LSU next season.

As for SC, the smart hire would be Billy Napier. Ace recruiter at Clemson/Alabama and has proven he can win at ULL. But of course, they'll fall in love with another former UF coach and hire Jim McElwain.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
The AD at south carolina is Ray Tanner - he'll keep the job as long as he wants it, because he's the only person to actually win anything at that school. back to back national titles in baseball, which is the number 2 sport there as far as i can tell.

edit to add - i saw someone mention hugh freeze as a candidate based on his season at liberty. maybe that is why they moved this quick to fire muschamp? they want first shot so the kirby smart deal doesn't play out again.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
A w is a w..however...just wish my team had even the semblance of a high school defense at this point. The joy of the thrill ride fades with repetition.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The AD at south carolina is Ray Tanner - he'll keep the job as long as he wants it, because he's the only person to actually win anything at that school. back to back national titles in baseball, which is the number 2 sport there as far as i can tell.

edit to add - i saw someone mention hugh freeze as a candidate based on his season at liberty. maybe that is why they moved this quick to fire muschamp? they want first shot so the kirby smart deal doesn't play out again.
Wouldn't shock me if that's exactly what they are planning while Freeze is the hot commodity. That said that's one quick way to get the program in a shit ton of trouble fast when his recruiting goes full SMU again.

Reactions: Chrispy

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

While I like college baseball, it's still not much a revenue sport. Winning 2 titles there doesn't even come close to making you qualified to be an AD at a P5 program, and it really shows since their main revenue sports are now mostly a dumpster fire. They did have a fluke final 4 run with Frank Martin that they'll never come close to again, and Dawn Staley has turned their WBB into a powerhouse but Tanner's own hires have mostly been bad.

I'd be shocked if Freeze took the job. He'll probably wait for Auburn or Tennessee to open. South Carolina will be stuck with it's 3rd or 4th choice again. A guy like Napier or Chadwell.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was going to comment but decided to look it up... Holy hell, Tennessee is only 2-4, Yeah I can see them wanting another coach here soon. Though tbh I'd honestly go to SC before that shit show of a job/fanbase. Tennessee fans make Texas fans seem rational and patient by comparison.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Wouldn't shock me if that's exactly what they are planning while Freeze is the hot commodity. That said that's one quick way to get the program in a shit ton of trouble fast when his recruiting goes full SMU again.

As long as the Gamecocks keep forgetting to look north to Winston-Salem, I'm fine with that.

I doubt I need to worry about Tennessee, they ran Clawson off once already.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As long as the Gamecocks keep forgetting to look north to Winston-Salem, I'm fine with that.

Clawson is interesting but ultimately there’s a reason a bigger program hasn’t hired him away already. He’d be like drafting Brandon Sutter in the top half of the 1st round - boring with a high floor and a low ceiling. You ultimately can’t sell a top 20 revenue program on such a milquetoast hire

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yeah I have the same reservations about someone coming up to Morgantown for Brown. He's building the program back up the right way, but he's from Kentucky and if the right SEC job came calling he's probably gone, though we have the resources to maybe put up a fight. I don't think Tennessee would interest him given how crazy they are, but Auburn might.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Clawson is interesting but ultimately there’s a reason a bigger program hasn’t hired him away already. He’d be like drafting Brandon Sutter in the top half of the 1st round - boring with a high floor and a low ceiling. You ultimately can’t sell a top 20 revenue program on such a milquetoast hire

I can see that, but he's never really had an opportunity to show what he can do at a top program.

He's built Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest into consistent winners. It's different college experience, but I'd argue it's experience that's more applicable to South Carolina than going after the next big name.

Could see them making a run at Coastal's coach as well; definitely familiar with the region.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was going to comment but decided to look it up... Holy hell, Tennessee is only 2-4, Yeah I can see them wanting another coach here soon. Though tbh I'd honestly go to SC before that shit show of a job/fanbase. Tennessee fans make Texas fans seem rational and patient by comparison.

We covered this in another thread (probably when Tennessee was going through that bizarre coaching search 2-3 years ago), but man that's a hard program to recruit. Tennessee as a state doesn't produce the athletes that Georgia, Florida, Texas, or even VA/NC do, well they do sometimes but there are not as plenty, and what recruits the Volunteer state does produce is just as likely to leave for 'Bama/UGA/Auburn etc. Fulmer hit the jackpot when he got Peyton Manning and IIRC his bread was buttered here in NC with several of the High School coaches being his friends.

As for South Carolina, I would be all over Billy Napier for reasons @Brock Anton stated. Chadwell at CCU is intriguing but he's never held a job at a big-time program before. Nothing that probably won't come in time but I think he'd be in for a very rude awakening at an SEC school right off the heels of the Sunbelt conference. He's the kind of coach I feel will go to a non-P5 school like Memphis or South Florida or ECU and he proves he can win there too, then the likes of South Carolina, Tennessee, etc. will come calling.

Edit: I guess I stupidly missed this, but App State also competes in the Sun Belt and their coach last year went to Mizzou (granted he was also OC at NC State and worked as QBs coach at Auburn before so he's had experience in a major conference before).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad