GDT: The 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Football in North Carolina will never be any good at any level. Give up.

(Except for App State, of course.)
One of the top 5 all-time App State wins is vs. 4-8 South Carolina. They still have a long ways to go in D-1 land. I love them as they're my wife's alma mater/team, Boone is awesome, and 2007 Michigan but even they will struggle especially as long as P5 programs keep hiring away any of their coaches with potential.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
One of the top 5 all-time App State wins is vs. 4-8 South Carolina. They still have a long ways to go in D-1 land. I love them as they're my wife's alma mater/team, Boone is awesome, and 2007 Michigan but even they will struggle especially as long as P5 programs keep hiring away any of their coaches with potential.

App State won three straight national championships at their previous level, though. That is why they are the exception to the statement "football in North Carolina will never be good at any level" -- they already were.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Football in NC isn’t going to do well because:

NC teams didn’t invest a ton in football before and the lack of proven success hurts the programs (NC has been a stepping stone for coaching not a final destination).
NC has so many major schools with a limited football prospect pool. Think about Georgia, SC, and Tennessee. Those states have 2 or 3 big programs and Georgia has a stronger prospect pool.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
College Football in this state could be something if the talent didn't leave the state. But why would you stay when the SEC and schools like Clemson/VT/FSU and even some Big 10 programs are not that far away? Maybe once in a while you'll get a Torry Holt or a Julius Peppers to stay in state but more often than not if you're a top NC prospect, you've got better options out there. I don't know about UNC but NC State under Amato was always recruiting in Florida, hell even Philip Rivers came from Alabama, and Russell Wilson was from Virginia.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yep. All this. It's fun to swap bragging rights, but no one needs to be laboring under the illusion that North Carolina will ever be a football state. David Glenn (still sad he's gone) spoke at length about this all the time. This is a basketball state, not a football state. That's just how it is.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
How State was ranked is beyond me, that was an embarassing display yesterday...like complete ineptitude and self-sabotage in every facet of the game

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
UNC finally gets a real QB deserving to be drafted top 5 and yet they're still trying to one up their loss to FSU.

lol, UNC allows a fake punt conversion late in the 4th. Huge call by UVA but still pathetic by UNC.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If it wasn't for his 0-fer vs Ohio State and now a loss to a rebuilding Michigan State team, he probably would be in decent shape going forward.

I'm sure after their annual beat down in Columbus the calls for his head will start getting even louder.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
As much as we might complain about NHL refs, the guys at this NC State - Miami game are challenging for single worst officiated game ever...it's been so awful and flags have been flying every other damn play, half the time on the wrong team, and then they miss the most obvious ****

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Good god NC State, when did y’all hire Muschamp? What a pathetic 4th quarter performance.
We were not watching the game during the 4th quarter because experience. My son (applying to colleges now) came down and asked why we weren’t watching, to which my wife and I said “Because they are going to lose.” He then pointed out the 10 point lead and the time remaining, to which my said “They got time.”

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
4th and 5, Doege gets his pass rejected right back in to his hands and then throws it again to an open receiver. How is that NOT legal?

Also Indiana clown pounding Michigan, you hate to see it.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
4th and 5, Doege gets his pass rejected right back in to his hands and then throws it again to an open receiver. How is that NOT legal?

Also Indiana clown pounding Michigan, you hate to see it.
You only get one forward pass attempt

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Fuente is a rotting pile of garbage coach and should be fired. Unfortunately, I think his buyout is so large we'll stick with him.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->