Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I had forgotten about that rumor :laugh:

I'm not down on Lundell, he looks like a fantastic prospect. His ceiling is just harder to get a handle on.

Yeah, I would expect that the response to Lundell being the pick over Raymond and/or Holtz would be that it was Botts taking a low ceiling safe pick over a dynamic guy with more top end potential.

It all depends on whether you think that Lundell can be a high end two-way center or merely Larsson 2.0.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yeah, I would expect that the response to Lundell being the pick over Raymond and/or Holtz would be that it was Botts taking a low ceiling safe pick over a dynamic guy with more top end potential.

It all depends on whether you think that Lundell can be a high end two-way center or merely Larsson 2.0.
No way Botterill picks Lundell. If there a GM who has a bigger misunderstanding of the difference between skating fast and playing fast, I don’t know who it is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No way Botterill picks Lundell. If there a GM who has a bigger misunderstanding of the difference between skating fast and playing fast, I don’t know who it is.

NHL Mock Draft: Beat writers preview the 2020 draft lottery

I forgot to mention that Pronman isn't a fan of Lundell in the top 10.

9. Chicago Blackhawks: Anton Lundell, C, HIFK-Liiga

Scott Powers: Lundell is one of the more NHL-ready players in this draft. He may not make the jump next season, but he certainly fits in the time frame if the Blackhawks are looking to add another high-end, responsible forward to play around Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane in the near future. If you add Lundell to Kane, Toews, Kirby Dach, Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Strome, Dominik Kubalik and Brandon Saad, the Blackhawks have to like how their top nine would be shaping up in the short- and long-term. Lundell’s skating is a bit of a concern, but what he’s done in Liiga at his age is undeniably impressive. Only Jesse Puljujarvi was a better possession player this past season in Finland. Lundell plays the type of two-way game the Blackhawks can use more of in their lineup.

Pronman’s take: I hate to do this to my longtime friend, but I am not a big fan of going after Lundell at No. 9. He’s a good player, but the upside is not that of a top-line caliber player. Powers is right about his NHL projectability given what he’s shown versus men already, but I think you can get more talent at this spot. I am aware that my opinion is not the opinion of a good chunk of the industry, although the more NHL scouts I’ve talked to in the second half, the more pessimistic I get Lundell is going to be a top 10 pick.

And after that last part, it will be interesting to see where Lundell lands on Bob's final list.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Lundell pans out and he can reach his potential
he can develop at least passable 2nd or 3rd line center.

But unfortunately Lundell has bust ( mainly due to skating and offensive upside issues ) risk too.
So if Sabres wants player who can skate fast and score a lot points
then Raymond is that guy who Sabres should take.

As a HIFK fan i should be high on Lundell
but i'm not because he isn't nothing special ( read McDavid, Matthews or Barkov caliber center ).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

But unfortunately Lundell has bust ( mainly due to skating and offensive upside issues ) risk too.

As a HIFK fan i should be high on Lundell but i'm not because he isn't nothing special
^^( read McDavid, Matthews or Barkov caliber ELITE center ) as a center.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

As a HIFK fan i should be high on Lundell
but i'm not because he isn't nothing special ( read McDavid, Matthews or Barkov caliber center ).

I see low bust potential for Lundell

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I see low bust potential for Lundell

It all gets back to what you define as a bust.

I think the worst case scenario with Lundell is that he turns out to be merely a good bottom 6 defensive center, ala Johan Larsson, with a few top 6 offensive forwards going after Lundell.

I still think that if the Sabres take Lundell, it will be seen as Botterill taking a safer, lower ceiling guy and not going for the guys with more offensive potential. Basically, a lot like the reaction to the Johnson pick.

Although, at least Lundell is a center...

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

I think the worst case scenario with Lundell is that he turns out to be merely a good bottom 6 defensive center, ala Johan Larsson, with a few top 6 offensive forwards going after Lundell.

I still think that if the Sabres take Lundell, it will be seen as Botterill taking a safer, lower ceiling guy and not going for the guys with more offensive potential. Basically, a lot like the reaction to the Johnson pick.

I understand that Sabres needs new number 2 center because Mittelstadt has been disappointment.
But if / when Sabres are lucky in lottery they can have chance to get one of Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti, Stutzle.
Those guys can all be good 2nd line centers and they have also higher offensive upside than Lundell.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I understand that Sabres needs new number 2 center because Mittelstadt has been disappointment.
But if / when Sabres are lucky in lottery they can have chance to get one of Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti, Stutzle.
Those guys can all be good 2nd line centers and they have also higher offensive upside than Lundell.

If the Sabres have a shot at Stutzle or Byfield, it will be because they jumped up into the top 3.

And if the Sabres take Lundell in the top 3....

:facepalm:

I am expecting the Lundell conversation to be in play if the Sabres end up in the 7-9 OV range.

Reactions: Chainshot

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Three different experts on NHL.com have Perfetti slipping to us at #7 and us taking him, I’d be thrilled with that result which was unanimous.

upload_2020-4-14_9-41-26.jpeg

Mock 2020 NHL Draft: Drysdale, Sanderson among top defensemen

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Wasnt the Q the highest for a while?

I'd be interested to see the breakdown between 5v5 and PP

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Three different experts on NHL.com have Perfetti slipping to us at #7 and us taking him, I’d be thrilled with that result which was unanimous.

View attachment 341830

Mock 2020 NHL Draft: Drysdale, Sanderson among top defensemen

The positives of drafting Perfetti: he is from my hometown, deadly offensive skills

The negatives of drafting Perfetti: this board complaining that he isn’t big or he doesn’t skate really fast.

After Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle there seems to be no consensus as to where the next group falls. Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, Holtz, Lundell, Sanderson all seem to have different fans and detractors among the various scouting outlets.

If we end up staying at #7 I have no idea who will be there or who they will lean towards. Sanderson is the one that would give me pause because they have spent a lot of picks on LHD.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
In 2 of those mocks, Raymond is still there and we pick Perfetti. Would drive me nuts. Raymond has similar offensive skills while being the much better skater and much better defensively IMO.

As for the Sanderson discussion, given our situation I wouldn't like that pick. However, I feel he has more upside then some think. There are higher priorities, but I have little doubt he would be a great fit behind Dahlin and is a fringe top-10 pick for me.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Raymond seems to be a wild card. I've seen him as high as 2 somewhere and then out of the top ten. I could swear in a bunch of rankings he was ahead of holtz, but now he's behind.

Back to the CHL scoring, it makes Jarvis' numbers that much more impressive. It will be fun to see where he ends up.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I see his floor as a poor man’s Barkov in the 3C role. Reliable, smart two way center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille